Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Kebby
Mouseketeer

Please help us Decide- Poly vs AKL Villas

We are a family of 6 ( mom, dad and 8 yr,5yr,2yr and 18 mos at the time we go.

Three years ago we spent a week at AKL and had an amazing time. We rented a car, and only had our then 4 yr old with us ( 5 yr old is adopted). I loved the resort! However, last fall I stayed 2 nights at the poly with my 7 yr old before a mom and daughter cruise on the Dream. I LOVED the poly... the theming, the restaurants, and the proximity.

This year is our ten yr wedding anniversary, and we are taking the whole crew to WDW in September for 10 nights. Right now we are booked at the poly in just a standard room. I booked it because I loved the resort, and also love how close it is to MK- where I know we will spend most of our time. We will be doing mid day breaks every day we are there and don't have hoppers. We will be doing the MNSSHP.

Over the last couple of days, I have been worried about space. All 6 of us in a hotel room for a week seems... cramped. I know technically we will fit, but just a bit worried... like what if my two yr old or 18 mos old wake up in the night and keep everyone awake. I looked at getting a second room... BUT its 3k more.

So I started looking at ALK villas. I can rent points in a 2 bed villa and actually save us 800.00. I know I like the hotel.... but worried about the distance from MK and how hard it would be to lug everyone to the car midday, and then shuffle everyone back in the evening.

Help! What would you choose?
Kebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebby View Post

Three years ago we spent a week at AKL and had an amazing time. We rented a car, and only had our then 4 yr old with us ( 5 yr old is adopted). I loved the resort! However, last fall I stayed 2 nights at the poly with my 7 yr old before a mom and daughter cruise on the Dream. I LOVED the poly... the theming, the restaurants, and the proximity.

This year is our ten yr wedding anniversary, and we are taking the whole crew to WDW in September for 10 nights. Right now we are booked at the poly in just a standard room. I booked it because I loved the resort, and also love how close it is to MK- where I know we will spend most of our time. We will be doing mid day breaks every day we are there and don't have hoppers. We will be doing the MNSSHP.

Over the last couple of days, I have been worried about space. All 6 of us in a hotel room for a week seems... cramped. I know technically we will fit, but just a bit worried... like what if my two yr old or 18 mos old wake up in the night and keep everyone awake. I looked at getting a second room... BUT its 3k more.

So I started looking at ALK villas. I can rent points in a 2 bed villa and actually save us 800.00. I know I like the hotel.... but worried about the distance from MK and how hard it would be to lug everyone to the car midday, and then shuffle everyone back in the evening.

Wow, that's a tough one. A 2 bedroom is awesome, I would do Kidani instead of Jambo if you would be driving, the parking is more convenient there. I don't think the distance is a big issue, it would take you probably 10 or 15 minutes to the MK parking lot but it's more the packing everyone up. At the Poly, you could ride the monorail to both MK and Epcot. Will you have a double stroller? How about renting a 2 bedroom at BLT? You would have the extra room plus the location. You could actually do a 1 bedroom.
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
WDWOswald
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Poly- I hate AKL
WDWOswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Go for more space. At least you're not having to choose between the Poly and a Motel 6.
No way I'd feel like I was on vacation if I was feeling cramped. AKV are fantastic! We absolutely loved our stay.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

AKL/AKV is a beautiful resort, but the Poly is our favorite for many reasons. My first instinct is to say stick with the Poly, but I think in your situation, a villa would work better as it would give everyone more space to spread out. With that said, I think DebbieB had a good suggestion with BLT so you are still close to MK and easy commuting for mid day breaks. Another suggestion would be VWL. The WL villas aren't on the monorail, but they are close to MK via boat and would be easier for mid day breaks than traveling back to AKL. I think you would have a great trip anywhere you stay, but a MK area resort or villa would be easiest as far as traveling back and forth from the park(s). Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
Emteach
DIS Veteran

That is a tough call. We stayed at the Poly and LOVED it, like won't stay anywhere else again. Loved everything about it, location, theming, activities and don't think that space would be an issue. We had 3 adults, 12 year old and 6 year old and fit with room to spare. It is also really convenient that it is on the monorail and a quick walk to the TTC.

All that being said having 2 toddlers a single room (along with your other kiddies) might be tricky. Like you mentioned having a second room would make it easier if they were to awaken and not disturb the older ones - the last thing you want are 4 cranky, tired little ones.

I do like others suggestions regarding BLT or one of the other resorts that are within boat access to MK. That just makes it easier, not having to worry about getting everyone in and out of the car and the challenge of going back and forth. In my personal opinion I wouldn't want to be that far from the parks and have that to worry about. So I guess I would chose option 3 lol.

WDW Polynesian (August 2012)
WDW All Star Movies (August 2006)
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort (December 1996)
WDW Off-Property (December 1992)

DDP Review
Party of 5: August 2012 Dining Review with the Queen of Chicken Nuggets (With Pics)
[URL="http://http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2998041&highlight=picky+eaters"]

Disney World - August 2012 - Trip Report
Picky Eaters, Sore Feet, Hurricanes...After 6 Yrs Nothing will get in our way!
Emteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Have you looked at the Deluxe room at the Wilderness Lodge? That might give you the extra room you want and also be very close to MK. I believe that room sleeps up to 6. You'd have a separate room to put the little ones down for a nap. I think the price is comparable to a Poly standard room, but you'd also get Club level perks along with it.

AliceIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

You could try to rent a Villa at Wilderness Lodge two bedroom villa for DVC points. That would sleep eight and you would only be a boatride away from the MK. It should be fewer points than AKV Savanna view villa, but probably more than AKV standard view.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #9
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceIn View Post
Have you looked at the Deluxe room at the Wilderness Lodge? That might give you the extra room you want and also be very close to MK. I believe that room sleeps up to 6. You'd have a separate room to put the little ones down for a nap. I think the price is comparable to a Poly standard room, but you'd also get Club level perks along with it.
That room is not large though. We had it for a trip and it's pretty cramped.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
wdwfan22
Totally Obsessed Disney Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
You could try to rent a Villa at Wilderness Lodge two bedroom villa for DVC points. That would sleep eight and you would only be a boatride away from the MK. It should be fewer points than AKV Savanna view villa, but probably more than AKV standard view.
I second looking at Wilderness Lodge Villas. I love that resort, and while its not the Poly, I like it better than AK Lodge for the location. And themeing, but that's personal preference.

Disneyland - 1968 - 1982 - too many times to count; June 1984; June 1986; summer 1991; summer 1993; July 6 - 11 2003; November 11 - 20 2010; April 29 - May 3 2011; Feb 3 - 8 2012
Disney World - February 1983; August 1988; April 29 - May 9 1999; Nov 30 - Dec 10 2001; Jan 3 -12 2007; Dec 9 - 21 2008; Dec 2 - 8 2009; Sep 30 - Oct 9 2012
Disney World - Jan 2 - 12 2014 Yea!!
wdwfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #11
tekoa
DIS Veteran

I would always choose the Poly over AKL. Just not a big fan of AKL. Stayed there once, that was enough.
tekoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
ppony
Artist in residence

I'd do the AKL and never think twice. We OVE it there, own there and the villas are huge!!!! Having a 2BR is like having a home! No one clamors over someone else and you don't have to all sit on beds. AKL!!!! I like the Poly too, but for ambiance, NOT the rooms. AKL villas are great!

OK, more reasons for the OP to consider. If you do a 2 bedroom (or even 1 BR), the kids can go to bed at different times or at least, ahead of you. I LOVE that. It gives you and your spouse some time to chill on your own. Everyone can get up separately too w/o waking everyone else up. multi-room villas are so freakin' AWESOME!!!! We can't vacation any other way any more. We're totally spoiled. Until you have it, you might not really realize what a boon it is. You can imagine it maybe, or not, but it's a REAL boon!!!!

The drive at least is really simple and easy. While the monorail makes mid-day breaks WAY easier, I guess I prefer the space in the room. But I do tend to be in the room more these days now that we're not commandos and DH and my oldest DS go off on their own at night if they want more to do.

Last edited by ppony; 03-31-2013 at 12:01 PM.
ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
mmmears
DIS Veteran

I love them both and I think they are great resorts. I guess it is just a choice between more space or easier transportation options. With the size and ages of your family, I'd pick the location. But it really comes down to what you value most.

The monorail was nice when my DD was little since you can roll the stroller on there and if your child is sleeping you don't have to pick them up and fold the stroller (which is the case at AKL with the buses or your car). The Poly rooms seem pretty large to me (but then there are only 3 of us). AKL is much easier now that my DD is older -- and it's a great resort with lots of activities for kids (IMO the best one in that regard). We usually do a split so we can be at both... I really think that the location of Poly will make the afternoon breaks so much easier for you, though.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: