Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
PixieDustD
Mouseketeer

The Animal Kingdom Segment

What an enjoyable segment by Dustin and Holly. As a Californian we are not able to get out to the World very often, but when we do Animal Kingdom is a family favorite. On our last visit my daughter ranked it the #2 park after the Magic Kingdom. The animals look to be very well cared for...just beautiful.

Can't wait to return and experience the Animal Kingdom with a new perspective.

Thank you for the great show.

Last edited by PixieDustD; 03-27-2013 at 12:05 AM.
PixieDustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
WDWjunky
Earning My Ears

Im going to piggyback your post.....

Thank you Dustin and Holly....That was a lot of knowledge that most have never heard of or ever thought to even consider to learn...

Great show as always too....
WDWjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Great segment on Ak! Thanks!
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Dustin and Holly's segment highlighted some of the reasons why AK is my second favorite park in WDW--even ahead of MK.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Loved the segment too. I've always been fascinated by, and love to photograph, the little details that abound in AK. It seems like they went to great lengths to create special scenes just for the photographer.

Looking forward to the second half of this segment.

Last edited by OKW Lover; 03-27-2013 at 11:51 AM.
OKW Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
peel
DIS Veteran

I thought the segment was great too. I knew a bit about the Harambe back story, but I didn't know there was any story for Discovery Island. I can't wait to go back and take a closer look at the design of the shops!

peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
lovethecastle
Mouseketeer

That was indeed a great segment. I was wondering if Holly is still working with animals. I think the internships that Disney offers is a wonderful idea. I would have loved that chance.
Dec 03/Jan 04 WL
Dec 05/Jan 06 WL
Dec 07 Poly
Aug 09 CB
July 2011 CB
June/July 2012 swan/pcc 3.0
lovethecastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

I want to add that there is a tour that covers some of the topics mentioned very well by Dustin and Holly. It's Wild by Design, not to be confused with the Wild Africa Trek that Kathy did.

Wild by Design will discuss the fort that Dustin mentioned, the only real baobob tree also mentioned, and other details of the theming in the Africa and Asia areas. I thought the tour was very good and would recommend it.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
goof4ever
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the Animal Kingdom segment. I work at a zoo so I could add to some of the information that they were not sure about, but they did a great job. My zoo just received one of the female gorillas from Disney due the species survival plan that Holly had mentioned.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof4ever View Post
Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the Animal Kingdom segment. I work at a zoo so I could add to some of the information that they were not sure about, but they did a great job. My zoo just received one of the female gorillas from Disney due the species survival plan that Holly had mentioned.
That's pretty cool about having a Gorilla that was born in DAK at your Zoo. One of the elephants that DAK used to have was born at the Toronto Zoo, she has unfortuitly passed away but she was amongst some of the female elephants to give birth in DAK.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I just finished watching the remainder of this segment and can't agree enough at how fantastic it is. I hated AK until I went on the Wild by Design tour years ago. Since then, it has become my favorite park because of the amazing hidden detail, stories, and all that went into building this place. Dustin and Holly's segment should be a primer to visiting the park.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
laura_<3
DIS Veteran

What a great segment by Dustin and Holly! I can't wait for the second part
August 2005 - Indian Ridge Villas May 2009 - All Star Sports (Steven's first trip!)July 2011 - Royal Palms Villas July/August 2011 trip reportSeptember 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside September 2012 trip report July 2015 - Our Disney Wedding, Port Orleans Riverside
Engaged at Magic Kingdom 23rd September 2012 My Youtube Channel New - My wedding blog https://lauradisneybride.wordpress.com/
laura_<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
PrincessPaczki
Mom of 2 Prince's

Great show Dustin and Holly. Maybe this will show people just how awesome the Animal Kingdom is. Its a great park to slowly stroll through and take in all of the sights. Can't wait for the next show.
1992 - CBR
1993 - 2003 - OBX / BUSCH GARDENS VA.
2004 - BEACH CLUB / ROYAL PACIFIC
2005 - WILDERNESS LODGE
2006 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2007 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2008 - GRAND FLORIDIAN RPC
2010 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2011 - POLYNESIAN
2012 - POR.RIVERSIDE
2013 - CORONADO SPRINGS

PrincessPaczki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
rotlex
Is it summer yet?

Love the segment as well, and look forward to the rest.

Just want to piggy back on what others have said. Animal Kingdom is my families favorite park. It's been so since the first time we visited it in 07. It is the only theme park I know of that once you walk through those gates, you are truly transported to another "world". It's fantastic in every regard, and it's nice to see others appreciate it as well.

I for one am GLAD that Disney set focus in this park to things other than thrill rides. Lord knows there are enough of those scattered everywhere else. Here's hoping they only expand upon the stuff they have already done there with any future expansion of the park!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

rotlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
jcarter29
DIS Veteran

I learned so much in this segment and I am looking forward to part 2. I've often wondered why there isn't a "keys to the kingdom" type tour of AK. Seems like it would be such a good fit and would interest not only Disney fans but also animal/zoo fans. Are you listening, Disney? Add a tour already!
-Kim
jcarter29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: