Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #31
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredbycorn

How on earth can you disagree with my post? Those are MY reasons for not bringing our daughter. I'm not speaking for you or anyone else.

I'm sure she would have fun and we would enjoy it, but, for us, the hassle is more than its worth. It's not like I'm leaving my daughter at home with a pile of food and some water and leaving her to fend for herself. She will be left with loving grandparents who have already planned all sorts of fun things to do with her (parks, zoo, visiting family she almost never gets to see, etc.) and we will be checking in with her twice daily through Skype.

rider swap = my husband and I can't go on rides together = not nearly as fun for us
I disagreee that it would be a nightmare to feed, clothe, basically care for your own child on vacation. For the op there will be other kids to ride with. I agree, Your situation is different.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 PM   #32
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty

I disagreee that it would be a nightmare to feed, clothe, basically care for your own child on vacation. For the op there will be other kids to ride with. I agree, Your situation is different.
Then I'm just as bad as her. We took DS when he was 18 months old and I swear that had he been 6 months younger (and had grand parents that would have kept him) I would have left him at home!

As it was, we had a great time but there were points where it WAS a nightmare. Like him exploding through his diaper while waiting for"it's a small world". We had plenty of clothes for him but never thought about clothes for me. I ended up going through a half a container of wipes for he and I (I couldn't really dunk him in the sink). I wrapped his clothes in a plastic bag, tied it off and just threw them away. I ended up in the gift shop getting a crappy T-shirt (no pun intended) because I wasn't going to spend my souvenir money on a shirt.

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #33
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

OP, I asked this same question last fall and it turned into a heated debate. Some people wouldn't dare leave a child at home with family. Others like having a little freedom to enjoy time with the older children and do things they couldn't do with a baby.

My son was 9 and my daughter was 1. My son had been an only child for most of his life. Although he was happy to have a little sister it took a lot of adjusting for him and he had to change a lot of his routine when he was no longer the only child. We took him on a trip to WDW last December so he could be with Mom and Dad. We wanted to thank him for being so loving and accepting of his baby sister and being ok with the huge change in our lifestyle when we had a new baby in the house.

My son loved being the center of attention again for just one week. He thanked us over and over for letting him go on a big people trip. And he knows the next trip will include his little sister and he is fine with that. He's looking forward to showing Disney World to her. But it created such wonderful memories for my son and made him feel so special. I'm so glad we chose to leave her with family.

While we were gone I'd call and check on my daughter and was constantly reassured by my family that she was very happy and not in any type of distress. She got to sleep in her own crib every night and was able to continue with her regular schedule.

Before we left I felt very guilty about leaving my daughter behind. While we were on the trip I was reassured she was doing fine and was able to relax and enjoy time with our son. Whenever I realized how special that trip was for him I was so glad we had chosen to leave the baby at home.

In the end, do what your family decides it best for you. Don't let the opinions and judgements of strangers decide what you do.

Last edited by CraftyMommy; 03-26-2013 at 10:41 PM.
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #34
AMT826
Earning My Ears

There's no way I could, I'd just feel so bad leaving them out. They wouldn't remember it, but I would. Plus, babys usually always sleep in the stroller, and might even really enjoy seeing the characters, and riding rides with you.
AMT826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:09 PM   #35
Dominion
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post

My son loved being the center of attention again for just one week. He thanked us over and over for letting him go on a big people trip. And he knows the next trip will include his little sister and he is fine with that. He's looking forward to showing Disney World to her. But it created such wonderful memories for my son and made him feel so special. I'm so glad we chose to leave her with family.
This. Seems like a lot of people are flaming the OP for considering leaving the baby at home to make her life easier, but sometimes I think it is so nice for the older children to have their parent's full attention again. It happens so rarely when there are little ones around, especially babies, and they deserve special time with their parents too! OP, if you plan to go again in the future when your DD is older, I wouldn't think twice about leaving her home with a loving grandparent...there's a lot to be said for the special bonding they will get to do too! My friends did this just last year and she felt it was the best thing they could have done for their older daughter (alone time with mom and dad at WDW), and they know they will go back when their son is older.

Do what feels right for you and your family!
Offsite 2003
Poly CL December 2013 - First family trip!

Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #36
indimom
Are We There Yet?

I would leave the baby with grandma. No qualms. My parents did this a couple times with both myself and my baby sister. We stayed with godparents or grandparents while they took vacations with older siblings. Doesn't bother me in the least today.

DH and I never actually did this with our kids, but mainly because we only had two kids, close in age, and (other than visits to my sister in Florida) we did not vacation when they were in the baby - preschool years.

We held off on a Disney vacation until our kids were 5 and 7 because we just aren't fans of theme parks with babies. This is simply our style. I'm aware that many people take babies and have a great time. I've read their trip reports and saw the smiles on their little one's faces. I still wouldn't do it myself.

OP, do what works for you. The baby will be fine.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #37
anniemck
DIS Veteran

We did both, we took the girls and other times we left them with mom. Then there were times that mom took only one of the girls on a trip with her. Heck, in 2000 I went to Ohio with the older two for 5 days and the youngest (8) at the time stayed home with mom, it was the older two's first time on a plane, youngest said she wanted to stay... was very glad she did also because the week after we got home mom had a massive heart attack and passed away a month later... she had that last week with mom on her own and to this day says she wouldn't trade it for the world.
It is alright to leave a child at home, the child will not hate you for it later... unless the child is told about it they won't remember.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #38
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

It would depend on if there were older/other children to consider and if the trip was for a special occasion if I were to consider leaving any children home at any age, but in general no. And while not WDW, my daughter did a 14 hour road trip and 5 days tour of DC at 12m2w, 7 hour road trip and 3 days touring Chicago at 13m3w and 2 weeks away from home at 18 months with no problems. Babies are way easier than preschool and grade schoolers.

But at that age I would not for the fact that my 15 month old was still nursing. I would not like the idea of taking my pump around the parks and dealing with storing or dumping milk, or my child having to wean that early because I was gone so long.
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:50 AM   #39
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Ds has gone to WDW at 6mo, 13mo, and 15mo and did great each trip. He seems to really have fun and enjoy himself. We've been traveling with him since he was 3mo, he's used to being out and about and adjusts very easily.

I genuinely enjoy seeing his reaction to everything and wouldn't at this point choose to leave him behind, even though he adores his grandparents. I'd rather forgo a handful of rides than miss having him there.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion View Post
This. Seems like a lot of people are flaming the OP for considering leaving the baby at home to make her life easier
It's not flaming when they asked for your opinion. I've learned in 6 1/2 years as a mom, if you don't want other people's opinions, don't ask. If you don't want any of your parenting choices criticized, don't tell anyone what you're doing. I'm sooo over the "mommy wars". Do whatever you want and don't care about the opinions of others. OP asked, we told. Next time, if OP (or anyone else) doesn't care what others think, they won't ask.
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
tjmj9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #41
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Agreed. The OP asked what "YOU" would do.

I would bring all my kids to Disney World.

I can't begin to decide on anyone else's parenting choices.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #42
brooke789
Mouseketeer

My husband's first trip to WDW he was 9, his brother was 5 and his sister was 1. Their grandparents kept the one year old while his parents took him and his brother. I can definitely see why they did it. The two older boys were able to do a lot more without having to accommodate the 'baby' and he remembers how much he loved it!
brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #43
Derby
Mouseketeer

Nope, we're a "all in or all out" family. Plus, we've taken a 1 year old and she had a blast. She loooved the characters at that age.

2014 Coronado Springs (November)
2013 Pop Century
2011 Hurricane Irene Escape Trip (Floridays) *DD2's 1st Trip! (10 weeks old)*
2010 All-Star Movies
2009 3-day cruise on the Wonder/Caribbean Beach Resort *DD1's 1st Trip! (11 months old)*
2003, 2004, 2007 off site
1994 & 1996 Wilderness Lodge
As a child: too many times to count (off site at grandparents)
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #44
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Compromise and bring your mom too.

Don't feel guilty about not bringing the 1 year old. If you don't I am sure they will have fun with Grandma. I do think the older boys deserve one on one time with mom and dad without the one year old.
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #45
THREEBOYSPLUSONE
Earning My Ears

We did leave our youngest son home when he was one. At the time he was our foster son but that isn't why we left him. We also had his 3 yr old sister who had so many issues and we were told by her therapist that WDW would be the worst place to take her. We didn't feel right taking him and not her so we left them both go to respite and took our other 3 sons who were 6, 7 and 9. I felt bad not taking them but am still very thankful we didn't. This way we got to spend time with our older sons having fun and making memories that 9 years later they still talk about. For us it would have been a disaster if we had taken the 3 yr old because she would have had constant meltdowns and screamed most of the time. We still have the youngest son and he was finally adopted last year and it hasn't affected him that he didn't go with us. We are working on getting him there as he would love it but money is an obstacle right now.
While we do believe in doing things as a family sometimes it is best for the rest of the family to not take everyone.
THREEBOYSPLUSONE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: