Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #16
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Nope, we've taken a 12 month old and 13 month old and they had so much fun!! The baby was always the easiest (compared to our other kiddos), too! Slept in the stroller or in a wrap when it was naptime (so we never had to go back for a mid-day break unless we all really wanted to)!
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

No.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #18
geraghty
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredbycorn
We are leaving my daughter with grandparents when we go in a month and a half. She will be 15.5 months at the time. Bringing her was never even under consideration. It would just be more trouble than it would be worth for us. She loves mascots and we would love to see how she would interact with the characters and I know she would like all the music and lights, but the idea of having to bring a stroller, keep her cool, keep her warm, change diapers, have snacks, have drinks, have milk, and deal with naps and meltdowns because her schedule was thrown off just sounded like a nightmare...
Could not disagree more. My greatest memories of WDW, is watching the enjoyment on my kids faces. One of my favorite mornings was when a cm was blowing bubbles at the entrance of Barnstormer and my ds (1) laughed and chased the bubbles while my dw and dd were in line.

With rider swap, you can take turns on the big rides. Sure your infant will slow you down , but I would not want to do it any other way.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
dsnycrzy
W/4 kids who has time for anything else but planning our next WDW trip!

This was funny because I thought about my DS who is now 17yrs old. My very 1st trip he was 1 and my DD was 3. With no experience of being so far away from home alone (I was 23yrs old and living in DE but from NY,2hrs away), I thought if I got lost or something it would be alot easier to deal with a 3 yr old then a 3yr old and a pamper wearing, bottle drinking 24hour diaper bag dragging baby along. I got there and although I missed him so bad and cried everytime I seen a child his age, his carrier, stroller, etc. I was glad I left him with my mom. With no experience with WDW I booked a room at an offsite hotel that put a $300 hold on my acct leaving me with $200 for a whole week. There was no refrige in the room so where would his milk have gone? Being lactose intolerance he was still on prosobee formula. Buying a can of formula a day would have broken my now very small budget. my DD & I shared meals while there and made it home by having the cab pull up to my moms job so she could pay the fare. Because of this case I would surely say NO DO NOT BRING A 1 yr old.
Fast forward a few year and I had another DD who's now 10yrs old. Her 1st year she went twice! Since she was born 6 weeks early in August, our usual August trip was cancelled that year so I thought. We went that same year in November, she was 3 months then again when she was 1 that next August. She loved the music, lights, pool,etc.
Fast forward yet again! With all the new Disney Jr shows that my new DS watches, it was a no brainer that he was going that next year. Also born in August, he was 1yr,3 days old when he 1st experienced WDW. Loved the show at HS and all the Disney Jr characters. My big kids as well as myself loved watching his responses to everything and cant wait to see his reaction this year being a little older.

Take the baby! He's only 1 once
97-99-HOJO MGE ***00-POR/CRUISE***01-05-HOJO MGE ***06-NICK &HOJO MGE***07-POP/NICK/HOJO MGE *** 08-SUITES @OLD TOWN***09-POP/CBR ***10- NO TRIP &11-No Trip- BABY ON THE WAY 12- CBR/PORFQ/POP/SUITES @OLD TOWN***13-RPR/CBR &VACATION HOME***14-CBB/ASMu/AoA

dsnycrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
Disney10
Mouseketeer

Take all the kids!

I was just looking at my Disney scrapbook today. It made me smile when I realized how young they all were and what a great time we had. We took a 2year old, 4 year old and 6 year old for our first time to Disney. It is alot of work but I would not change taking all of them. My youngest would sleep anywhere. Have a great time!
Disney10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #21
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

Personally, no. But I actually have never taken a trip without my kids and my oldest is 11 so maybe I shouldn't be weighing in! I have just always felt like my time with them being little is so short. I never want to miss a second. I enjoyed vacationing with my babies. I didn't feel like it was a hassle. We went to Seattle when my twins were 5 months old. It was a different trip then if we went with just our 4 and 5 year old (at the time) but it was fun in a "family" way. We go on vacations as a whole family and that is just our way of doing it.

However, I do not have family that can or would be able to watch our children nor do I have someone I trust to watch them, so maybe I would be in a different position if I did. I certainly would not judge someone else for doing it. I can see how it might be freeing to go with just your oldest two. It certainly will not harm the baby to not go. Your mother will be there and taking care of every need. So I really think it boils down to what you are comfortable with and what you want out of the trip. I am still working my way up to that solo trip with hubby! Maybe when the youngest is in college. Only 12 more years.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
PlutosMommy
Mouseketeer

I guess I'm kinda of answering from the other point of view- my parents took my brothers (9 & 5) to WDW when I was 13 months old. I stayed with my grandparents. I don't feel bad or left out looking at old pictures from that trip. They had a great time, and I'm sure my grandparents spoiled me too. We all took another trip to WDW when I was about 8, and then when I was in high school I went back with just my parents (my brothers were either married or in college at that point). All that to say, my memories of WDW, and family vacations in general, are very positive. That experience didn't leave me resentful in anyway. Do whatever you think is right for your family.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I have been with kids of all ages, newborn, infant, toddler, preschooler, school aged kids, middle school age, and now a high school aged kid. I couldn't imaging going on vacation without any of my kids and I have 6!

On our last trip I had one afternoon in Magic Kingdom with DD2, DS4, DDS7 and DD9 while my husband and DS13 went golfing.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
corneredbycorn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty View Post

Could not disagree more. My greatest memories of WDW, is watching the enjoyment on my kids faces. One of my favorite mornings was when a cm was blowing bubbles at the entrance of Barnstormer and my ds (1) laughed and chased the bubbles while my dw and dd were in line.

With rider swap, you can take turns on the big rides. Sure your infant will slow you down , but I would not want to do it any other way.
How on earth can you disagree with my post? Those are MY reasons for not bringing our daughter (and that was before I even thought about the plane ride and the giant lovey blanket we have to bring everywhere). I'm not speaking for you or anyone else.

I'm sure she would have fun and we would enjoy it, but, for us, the hassle is more than its worth. It's not like I'm leaving my daughter at home with a pile of food and some water and leaving her to fend for herself. She will be left with loving grandparents who have already planned all sorts of fun things to do with her (parks, zoo, visiting family she almost never gets to see, etc.) and we will be checking in with her twice daily through Skype.

rider swap = my husband and I can't go on rides together = not nearly as fun for us

Last edited by corneredbycorn; 03-26-2013 at 10:46 PM.
corneredbycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #25
kandb
DIS Veteran

NEVER. Family vacations are for families, I don't believe in leaving one of my children out because "they will be more work then the others", that is what having children is about. Also, younger children are easier. We took my 10month old son when my twins were 6 years old and we loved watching him interact with the characters. We have such great memories (and photos and videos) of that trip.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #26
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

It depends. Only y'all can make this decision.

DD would have been great at one, but DS hated being off his schedule. They both feared certain "mascots" at that age. DD hated fireworks, DS loved them. They are twins so we waited until they were both ready (and then had to wait until we could afford it! LOL)

Just weigh your pros and cons. You'll make the right decision for y'all!

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #27
Lazor460
Mouseketeer

Hi! Personally I would bring them, but we havent went on vacation without the kids. For us it is our family time together. I just know they are only small for so long and I hate missing a moment! I just wouldnt be able to enjoy myself without all of my children there. We are actually bringing our will be then 8 month old in sept, our other 2 will be 8 & 5. With that being said we have reasonable expectations. It will obviously be a different vacation with a baby. We are going to go with the flow and enjoy ourselves. We do have plans but arent going to obsess over everything being perfect. We did decide to stay at CR since it is connected to monorail to help eliminate some stress. I think if you are bringing a 1 yr old you have to go into it with the mentality of things arent going to always go smoothly but you are there spending time with your family and hey thats is what its all about! Seeing the smiles on their faces is priceless!
2011 WDW Royal Plaza
2007 Sarasota, FL
2005 Celebrity Century Cruise
Me DH DD 9 DS 6 DD 1,

Last edited by Lazor460; 03-26-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Lazor460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #28
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

I would have never done that. My kids all went since birth. Not only would I not leave them that long, but babies enjoy WDW too.

Vacation is about spending time as a family, not getting thingd done. Caring for children is parenting, not a hassle.

My 10-month-old grandson has been 3 times, and the 3-month-old once. We go JUST to take the 3 and 4 year olds. If we grandparents can handle taking little ones then surely young parents can.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
Blessedwithboys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraghty View Post

I agree my youngest DS was 1.5 last year and he had a BLAST!!!
These days are absolutely priceless. I would not leave one of mine behind! The vacation is for our whole family. Yes it is different going with younger ones but they are not an inconvenience they are part of the family
Blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #30
Kristian
Mouseketeer

Nope!!!

I couldn't have left my dd at 14 months to go to Disney. I see absolutely nothing wrong with doing it so long as you are comfortable with it, I just couldn't have done it at that age.

Dh and I have talked about doing an adult Disney trip together without our dd in the future, but there is no way that I could leave her behind for a week to go to Disney right now, even at age 4...she loves it too much.

I totally agree that if any kids are coming on a trip that it automatically turns into a family vacation, which should include everyone. That is my opinion, but I couldn't take one child while leaving the other at home. No kids or all kids, that's my motto, but I personally couldn't be gone an entire week without them.

Last edited by Kristian; 03-26-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: