Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
twodogs
Mouseketeer

Surface wipes that are EPA approved to kill Norovirus; available at Staples.com

I know there have been a lot of posts about what will actually kill Norovirus, so I thought I would contribute what I have learned in anticipation of our trip next month. As a physician, I consult with my most trusted sources when I have questions like this, so I checked the CDC's website (Centers for Disease Control). They reference a list of EPA-approved products that kill Norovirus (these are surface products, not for hands). http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html

Here is the direct link to the EPA's list which is referenced on the CDC's page:
http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_g_norovirus.pdf

I was able to find the Oxivir wipes and spray at www.staples.com (though not in my store, it is available online):
http://www.staples.com/oxivir/directory_oxivir

I was unable to find easy sources for many of the other approved products, even on the sites I am able to order from as a physician.

I know there is controversy on this forum about wiping down surfaces or not for Norovirus, and I will not add my opinion here. However, if you are one that wants to wipe down your room/bathroom at the resort, you could consider these wipes as an option. Notably, many of the wipes I have read about online (and in this forum) such as certain Wet Ones, some Clorox wipes, etc that have been thought to kill Norovirus are NOT on this approved list. Bleach solutions that are 5.25% bleach are also listed on the CDC's site as approved to kill Norovirus, but as others have said, it would be difficult to travel with bleach, and it may harm some of the soft goods in the room or your own clothes/luggage, etc. Regular Clorox wipes at my stores actually contain no bleach at all, so would not meet the CDC's requirements to kill Norovirus.

Here's to an illness-free trip for everyone!
twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the info.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Thank you for the information.

AliceIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. I just ordered some from ebay

2003-POR
2011- Poly TPV
2012- POR/BWI
2015- AKLV/BWV
Mynamewastaken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Thanks. Just ordered from ebay as well. $12 with free shipping.....
now...that's a big tub....and we are flying and probably will just need for the plane and hotel room. So.....maybe pack some in zip lock baggies? Seems stupid to bring 160 of them???
firstwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
I know there have been a lot of posts about what will actually kill Norovirus, so I thought I would contribute what I have learned in anticipation of our trip next month. As a physician, I consult with my most trusted sources when I have questions like this, so I checked the CDC's website (Centers for Disease Control). They reference a list of EPA-approved products that kill Norovirus (these are surface products, not for hands). http://www.cdc.gov/norovirus/preventing-infection.html

Here is the direct link to the EPA's list which is referenced on the CDC's page:
http://www.epa.gov/oppad001/list_g_norovirus.pdf

I was able to find the Oxivir wipes and spray at www.staples.com (though not in my store, it is available online):
http://www.staples.com/oxivir/directory_oxivir

I was unable to find easy sources for many of the other approved products, even on the sites I am able to order from as a physician.

I know there is controversy on this forum about wiping down surfaces or not for Norovirus, and I will not add my opinion here. However, if you are one that wants to wipe down your room/bathroom at the resort, you could consider these wipes as an option. Notably, many of the wipes I have read about online (and in this forum) such as certain Wet Ones, some Clorox wipes, etc that have been thought to kill Norovirus are NOT on this approved list. Bleach solutions that are 5.25% bleach are also listed on the CDC's site as approved to kill Norovirus, but as others have said, it would be difficult to travel with bleach, and it may harm some of the soft goods in the room or your own clothes/luggage, etc. Regular Clorox wipes at my stores actually contain no bleach at all, so would not meet the CDC's requirements to kill Norovirus.

Here's to an illness-free trip for everyone!
And I'd assume it would kill strep, flu, cold virus and other fun things right??
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
AuroraRora
Princess

Thanks for the info! I've never had any issues with sickness at WDW, but the more I read about people getting sick, the more I worry that it just means I'm overdue!
July '12 - POFQ 10 days
March 2013 ASMu 5 days ......May 2013 POP 8 days...... October 2013 POP 10 days *
AuroraRora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
twodogs
Mouseketeer

Forgot to mention free shipping on Staples if you join their free rewards program.

To answer OP about what else it kills, here is the data from the Oxivir wipes site:

Bactericidal and Virucidal in one minute, kills HBV, HCV, HIV-1 (AIDS virus) in one minute, Tuberculocidal in five minutes and kills fungi in ten minutes
Can be used to clean most hard, nonporous environmental surfaces with confidence
No VOC’s, no added fragrance, no NPE’s
Non-irritating to skin and eyes and contains no substances which at the given concentration, are considered to be hazardous to health per OSHA standards
Patented technology contains a high performance surfactant system that delivers faster and better cleaning results
The active ingredient breaks down to water and oxygen
Disinfectant Claims (Contact Time)
Fungicidal
Fungicidal (10 min.)
Hepatitis B (1 min.)
Hepatitis C (1 min.)
HIV (1 min.)
Hospital Grade
Influenza A (1 min.)
MRSA (1 min.)
Norwalk / Norovirus (1 min.)
Virucidal
VRE (1 min.)
twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
cocofifi
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for the info!
cocofifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I work in a hospital and in our medication room we have two kinds of wipes. One is just a giant tub of regular cleaning wipes. The other is a little smaller (75 extra large wipes) that are PIDI Sani-Cloth Bleach Germicidal Disposable wipes. On the front it says 'Bactericidal, Fungicidal, Tuberculocidal, and Virucidal in 4 minutes. On the instructions it has instructions for leaving it on for different lengths of times depending on the surface and what you want to kill, ranging from one minute to four minutes. It says Kills pathogenic organisms including Bacteria (then lists alot of bacterias), Multi-Drug Resistant Bacteria (then lists alot of those including MRSAs), Bloodborn Pathagens (lists Hep B, Hep C, HIV and a couple more), Viruses (flu, Hep A, Norovirus, and Rinovirus), TB, and Pathogenic Fungi.

It apparently kills alot of stuff, but also warns you to use on hard surfaces only and to be sure and wear gloves when using. It smells very strongly of bleach.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
wdwmaw
planin' next trip

I am one of the pro bleach users. I make my own to travel with, i make these the day of travel or the night before. I spray full strength Clorox onto a heavy duty paper towel and immediately put on a zip lock bag. i do not let these air dry. When we arrive I remove the towels and dampen a bit and start my wipe down of the room.

I love the info you posted and like the idea of purchasing wipes to travel with that are already concentrated enough to be used against such common sicknesses. Thank you for your research!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

24 trips and plannin' the next 1
wdwmaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #12
firstwdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmaw View Post
I am one of the pro bleach users. I make my own to travel with, i make these the day of travel or the night before. I spray full strength Clorox onto a heavy duty paper towel and immediately put on a zip lock bag. i do not let these air dry. When we arrive I remove the towels and dampen a bit and start my wipe down of the room.

I love the info you posted and like the idea of purchasing wipes to travel with that are already concentrated enough to be used against such common sicknesses. Thank you for your research!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Good idea!!!! This would have been a lot cheaper but I already ordered-oh well! next time!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Those sound terrific. But, in all reality?? Aren't you really better off making constant runs to the restrooms to wash those hands, while in the parks?? That's where I figure I'm going to be picking up the most germs...on railings and handles and such in the parks!!! Have you ever watched kids in a line at an attraction???? Very yucky stuff is going onto those railings and handles!!!!
So, don't forget to add hand washing to your day in addition to that room sanitizing!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #14
Bus36
"Life does not start and stop at your convenience."

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Those sound terrific. But, in all reality?? Aren't you really better off making constant runs to the restrooms to wash those hands, while in the parks?? That's where I figure I'm going to be picking up the most germs...on railings and handles and such in the parks!!! Have you ever watched kids in a line at an attraction???? Very yucky stuff is going onto those railings and handles!!!!
So, don't forget to add hand washing to your day in addition to that room sanitizing!!

Best thing mentioned. Before eating, actual washing of hands (not just hand sanitizers) the old fashioned way with soap and water. Also, keep things out of your mouth... a lot of people don't even think about it. You have your hands full and use your mouth as a third hand. Much more likely to spread through touching common areas and not washing, than a contaminated room.
Bus36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Why not just enjoy your vacation and not worry about it.

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: