Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
PurpleTurtle
Mouseketeer

AirTran with kids - seating?

How is AirTran for families sitting together? My kids are 14, 11, 9 & 9. We've only done Southwest and JetBlue before, so I'm concerned about us all sitting together.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
bear_mom
DIS Veteran

I pay for my seats when booking and I don't have any problems sitting with my family.

I have seen on one of our flights were a family didn't pay for seats and were sitting 2 and 2 (with one being across the isle) and the flight attendants didn't do anything to make people move.

On the other hand, dd and I took a bump for free flights and we were separated in seating and I nicely asked the man sitting next to me - window seat at the back of the plane, if he would mind switching seats (I had asked first if he was travelling with family - he wasn't) with my dd, isle seat near the front of the plane and he agreed. If he hadn't, I wouldn't have made a big fuss over it.

Emily
bear_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

The only way to guarantee you will be sitting together on Airtran is to pay to reserve your seats. You may get lucky and have most of you sitting 2 and 2, but odds are with as many people as you have in your party, some of you will have to sit alone. You may be able to nicely ask another passenger or two to switch seats so a couple of your kids can sit together, but if you do not pay to reserve seats, the flight attendents usually will not help you to find seats together. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is the way Airtran usually works and why they give you the chance to pay to reserve your seats ahead of time.

Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

AirTran will not request anyone to move to allow you to sit with your kids (especially considering the ages)

If you think it's very important I would recommend you pay. Getting a block of 6 seats together at 24 hours when you check in is going to be very tough IMHO.

Other people have paid and probably won't want to change. Now if you have "better seat" (like the seat up front on the aisle the earlier poster had) then you might get a trade, but if not.... no go.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTurtle View Post
How is AirTran for families sitting together? My kids are 14, 11, 9 & 9. We've only done Southwest and JetBlue before, so I'm concerned about us all sitting together.
Our on January cruise I paid to pick the seats on our returning flights. The $6 seats. Then when I checked in and paid for my baggage fees I noticed the fees were only $14 instead of $20. AT deducted the $6 I paid for the seats off the baggage fees.

Is that how it always works?

Also on the flight going I didn't prepay for seats. When I went to check in I had my pick of plenty of seats together. If you can check in right at 24 hours you might be ok. But if they deduct the $6 off the luggage fee then why wouldn't you prepay?
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Does anyone know how this works when you book AirTran flight thru the Southwest site? It says something about getting your seats at the gate? We always fly southwest but this time the AirTran flight times are better (and when booking thru SW, You don't pay bag fees)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
n2mm
aka WALTSGIRL

We had friends fly AT several years ago. They split the entire family up and the kids, ages 3 and 6 had to sit by themselves. The 3 year old cried throughout the trip. It was the last time they ever flew (that was 5 years ago).

n2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mm View Post
We had friends fly AT several years ago. They split the entire family up and the kids, ages 3 and 6 had to sit by themselves. The 3 year old cried throughout the trip. It was the last time they ever flew (that was 5 years ago).
Did they pay for seat assignments? That is the question.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
loudisneyfan
Mouseketeer

I just flew AirTran two weeks ago with my two ds. I did not reserve my seats when I booked but rather checked in right at the 24 hours before flight and was able to get all our seats together.
I kept checking the website before hand to make sure not too many seats were taken. If the plane had begun to fill up, I would have reserved my seats.

Past Trips: SWW @ Yacht CLub Club level May 2014, Yacht Club April 2014, Poly CL March 2014, Offsite December 2013, POR October 2013, POR March 2013, 1st Disney Cruise Fantasy December 2012, Boardwalk Villas December 2012,Offsite December 2011/Janaury 2012, Wilderness Lodge October 2011, Coronado Springs September 2011, Fort Wilderness Cabins December 2010, Offsite March 2010, Offsite March 2009, Offsite March 2008, All Star Sports March 2003, Offsite December 2000, Carribean Beach December 1990
loudisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #10
hpriamson
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2mm View Post
This sounds pretty unbelievable. Why wouldn't one of the people sitting next to the crying 3 year old offer to trade with one of the parents? There's no seat on a plane worth that.
hpriamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
loudisneyfan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh4evr View Post
Does anyone know how this works when you book AirTran flight thru the Southwest site? It says something about getting your seats at the gate? We always fly southwest but this time the AirTran flight times are better (and when booking thru SW, You don't pay bag fees)
We've just done the same thing, booked Air Tran through the SW site due to better times but still getting the two bags free.
When you check in, you will be given a Zone number. The plane loads by zone number starting at #1.
If you pay the early boarding fee, $12.50, you are in Zone 1. i just check in right at the 24 hours before and usually get in Zone 2 or 3.

Past Trips: SWW @ Yacht CLub Club level May 2014, Yacht Club April 2014, Poly CL March 2014, Offsite December 2013, POR October 2013, POR March 2013, 1st Disney Cruise Fantasy December 2012, Boardwalk Villas December 2012,Offsite December 2011/Janaury 2012, Wilderness Lodge October 2011, Coronado Springs September 2011, Fort Wilderness Cabins December 2010, Offsite March 2010, Offsite March 2009, Offsite March 2008, All Star Sports March 2003, Offsite December 2000, Carribean Beach December 1990
loudisneyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

If you want to sit with your children, pay the $6 per person seat fee.

We always pay our seat fees to sit together. It would bother me if somebody asked me to move knowing I had paid to sit with my family.

I would also not be able to stand a 3 year old being separated from their mom or dad and being left to cry in a different seat. I would definitely volunteer to move if it would help reunite a parent and child. However, I would feel very resentful of those parents who in my opinion were either too cheap or thoughtless to pay the money.
Disneylover99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
If you want to sit with your children, pay the $6 per person seat fee.

We always pay our seat fees to sit together. It would bother me if somebody asked me to move knowing I had paid to sit with my family.

I would also not be able to stand a 3 year old being separated from their mom or dad and being left to cry in a different seat. I would definitely volunteer to move if it would help reunite a parent and child. However, I would feel very resentful of those parents who in my opinion were either too cheap or thoughtless to pay the money.
I agree. However, I do not believe for one second that people on that flight would rather listen to a three year old cry during an entire flight than switch seats. I think this story didn't happen or was highly exaggerated.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpriamson View Post
This sounds pretty unbelievable. Why wouldn't one of the people sitting next to the crying 3 year old offer to trade with one of the parents? There's no seat on a plane worth that.
I have no idea (and I pay for seats and I travel alone) but it could be the 3 year old was seated next to a 35 year old with her 5 year old...so no one there is going to give up their seat.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
tyzzle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudisneyfan View Post
We've just done the same thing, booked Air Tran through the SW site due to better times but still getting the two bags free.
When you check in, you will be given a Zone number. The plane loads by zone number starting at #1.
If you pay the early boarding fee, $12.50, you are in Zone 1. i just check in right at the 24 hours before and usually get in Zone 2 or 3.
But that isn't how it will work if we if you are getting on an airtran plane. If you are getting on on airtran flight that yoy booked through southwest there are no boarding groups. The agent will give you an assigned seat to sit in.

Me Hubby Delilah(5) Delores (2)
tyzzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: