Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
fozziepitysthefool
Mouseketeer

Need help planning for a group of 7

A friend of mine is heading to Disney for the first time with her husband and 5 kids. (Yikes!) I normally travel as a party of two, so this is a bit beyond me.

I don't know if it would be cheaper to get two value suites (or one suite and one room) or a moderate or deluxe. Maybe AoA suite (but I think only 6 per room there)? Ideally the parents would like some privacy so a separate room for them would be nice.

The kids are a teenage girl (15) so a bed to herself (or fold open chair sleeping thingy would be ideal). The others are two sets of twin boys ages 11 and 8; they can be two to a bed.

Can the kids stay alone in an adjoining room?

Budget is slightly an issue with a party this big so can't go deluxe for the sake of it.

Thanks!
Jul 1985 Off-Disney Dec 1999 Off Disney Apr 2007 ASMu Mar 2011 Off-Disney Oct 2011 ASMu Dec 2011 AKL/ASMu Aug 2012 ASMu Oct 2013 ASMu/CBR Dec 2014 ASSp LA/DL BWPPI Sept 2015 BCR Nov 2015 DL Paris 2016

fozziepitysthefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozziepitysthefool View Post
A friend of mine is heading to Disney for the first time with her husband and 5 kids. (Yikes!) I normally travel as a party of two, so this is a bit beyond me.

I don't know if it would be cheaper to get two value suites (or one suite and one room) or a moderate or deluxe. Maybe AoA suite (but I think only 6 per room there)? Ideally the parents would like some privacy so a separate room for them would be nice.

The kids are a teenage girl (15) so a bed to herself (or fold open chair sleeping thingy would be ideal). The others are two sets of twin boys ages 11 and 8; they can be two to a bed.

Can the kids stay alone in an adjoining room?

Budget is slightly an issue with a party this big so can't go deluxe for the sake of it.

Thanks!
If you are on a budget, two rooms in a value is by far the least expensive option. However, that means no privacy and sleeping in 4 full-size beds.

You could rent DVC points to get a 2BR. I would expect to pay $400 a night to do this.

For large families on a budget, there are tons of options offsite. For example, this family could fit in a 2 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet creek and pay less than the cost of 1 room in a value. You could even rent a house.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upatnoon View Post
For large families on a budget, there are tons of options offsite. For example, this family could fit in a 2 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet creek and pay less than the cost of 1 room in a value. You could even rent a house.
Yeah, I'm thinking that for a family this size and with the parents wanting privacy, off site might be the better option. All Star Vacation Homes is one that I've heard nothing but good things about.
siskaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

Two value rooms would be the least expensive. if the parents really want a room to themselves they might consider bring an inflatable mattress to put in the kids room. it would be very tight, but if they are like my family they will only be in the room to sleep.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

I agree with the others. We stayed in a six bedroom home five minutes from Disney for $250 a night. Windsor hills, had our own pool beautiful home too and everyone could have their own room. Fantastic way to go!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #6
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''

We are a family of 7 and rented points through a DVC member. We are staying at AKV w/ a 2 bedroom. I think this is a great way to go We are flying so we don't even need to rent a van! I love staying on property and using Disney transportation

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
fozziepitysthefool
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upatnoon View Post
Bah! I never thought of sending them off-site... brilliant!
Jul 1985 Off-Disney Dec 1999 Off Disney Apr 2007 ASMu Mar 2011 Off-Disney Oct 2011 ASMu Dec 2011 AKL/ASMu Aug 2012 ASMu Oct 2013 ASMu/CBR Dec 2014 ASSp LA/DL BWPPI Sept 2015 BCR Nov 2015 DL Paris 2016

fozziepitysthefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Annie78
Mouseketeer

With a big family and being budget conscious, I think off-site has to be considered. We had a penthouse 3BR at WBC for $150/night last fall. We used Vacation Strategy because they seemed to have the best cancellation policy and best prices.
Besides the savings on the room, it will also make it easier to save on food.
Are they driving? If not, renting a minivan would cut into the off-site savings. Also have them factor in $15/day parking.
Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled to be staying onsite for my next trip, but that's because I only need one bedroom this time, not three.
Annie78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: