Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
shm_helene
Mouseketeer

AoA vs. Poly

I had posted this a while back but thought I would pose it again...

My husband and are are planning a trip to Disney in August with our 3yo and 1 yo. I am torn btwn Poly and AoA.

I like that AoA has bigger rooms and separate areas and as far as I am aware a small kitchenette area and is definitely themed for the 3 yo's age. In the UG it lists the commute times (using car) as pretty close (except for MK). Also the fact that it is new is nice.

I like that Poly is on the line to MK and is super close! I also like that there is a "beach" area. Also, I could be wrong but I thought there might be balconies, which would be nice in the evenings when the girls have gone to bed or while they are napping.

I feel like we are leaning towards AoA but would appreciate any thoughts from those of you who might have more experience!
shm_helene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #2
jrmo
Mouseketeer

We've been debating the same thing for months. I'd love to see the UG commute time info. That might just be the deciding factor. Much as I'd love the Poly, I'm not sure I can justify an extra $100 a night for less space. I know my kids would LOVE AoA. I know my husband would love Poly. I think either one would be a great choice.
jrmo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
shm_helene
Mouseketeer

I guess that's a good way to look at it - that both are good options. I don't recall exactly what the commute times were but aside from MK it didn't see dramatically different if we get a rental (which we always do).
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
samacita
Mouseketeer

I've never been to either (we're headed to Poly in the fall), but from the research I've done, they seem like completely different types of offerings. I was surprised to even see both mentioned in the same thread title, but perhaps you'll get insight from people with more experience than me. You might get more/quicker responses in the Resorts thread. I've gotten lots of useful advice there.
samacita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shm_helene View Post
I had posted this a while back but thought I would pose it again...

My husband and are are planning a trip to Disney in August with our 3yo and 1 yo. I am torn btwn Poly and AoA.

I like that AoA has bigger rooms and separate areas and as far as I am aware a small kitchenette area and is definitely themed for the 3 yo's age. In the UG it lists the commute times (using car) as pretty close (except for MK). Also the fact that it is new is nice.

I like that Poly is on the line to MK and is super close! I also like that there is a "beach" area. Also, I could be wrong but I thought there might be balconies, which would be nice in the evenings when the girls have gone to bed or while they are napping.

I feel like we are leaning towards AoA but would appreciate any thoughts from those of you who might have more experience!
Kind of at both ends of the spectrum here. AoA is a value resort vs. Deluxe Poly. I assume your thinking of a suite vs. a hotel room. With young children, I would save the money and stay at AoA. The theming and larger than life immersion into the Disney world is much more interesting than the Poly theming. The Nemo pool is really cool from what I have been told.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
disykat
DIS Veteran

Ive never stayed in either, but since you're talking about a suite at AoA vs a room at Poly, I'd go with AoA for the convenience of bedtime.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

We went with AOA. Have no desire to smoosh the 5 of us into 1 room.

Kids loved the big pool and the quiet pool.

We visited the Poly, did the luau, sat on the beach and watched fireworks and also got bit by bugs in the sand.

It was great to be able to spread out a bit and the 2nd bathroom made it much easier to get ready!

I can't speak to driving times but we had no problems using the bus system
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
shm_helene
Mouseketeer

Thanks all

I know these are very different resorts. I've always wanted to stay at Poly and it's one of the monorail resorts so that's great for kids, but the size and styling is great for kids hence that decision

Thank you again for your thoughts!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Tropics
Mouseketeer

We took our 1yr old DD to the Poly. It was the perfect place for us and we will be back again in December. The monorail location and walking distance to TTC for a monorail to Epcot was what won us over. Having such easy transportation with such a young one was fabulous! We didn't visit DHS and we had a car for our trip to AK so we never had to step on a bus. At night either DH or I could go down to the beach to watch the electric water parade. I also watched Wishes from our balcony. The first night that we were there we were in our room and I heard some banging. When it continued I went outside to see what was going on... it was Wishes! When we leaned over our balcony we could see the fireworks! As a warning, not every room has a balcony at the Poly though. Another great thing about the Poly is that the rooms are currently being renovated so there is a good chance, depending on when you are going, that you will have a freshly renovated room.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
shm_helene
Mouseketeer

Thanks for making the decision more difficult

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: