Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #31
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeseal View Post
I think we just held them close and the lap bar was not in a place where baby could comfortably get at it without major contortion?
Ah, ok. If so, that'll be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeseal View Post
I'm pretty stomach-virus phobic
Same here, I guess... at least on vacation. My little guy will still be breastfeeding, and in my experience so far, sick kiddo = nursing strike. Not fun for baby or mama.

Doesn't help when people are always posting, "So, my whole family is puking their guts out, but we're okay to go to the parks, right?". Not that I really blame them for going through with it, but it does skeeve me out to think that they'll be shedding the virus for the next week or so.

I won't let my worries ruin my trip or anything.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #32
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
Does anyone do anything special to prevent their baby/young toddler from picking up bugs from ride safety bars?

I'm taking my 12-month-old to WDW in a few weeks. I imagine he'll ride on my lap most of the time. (I'd love to keep him in our baby carrier, but he tends to squirm when I sit down.) On rides like Pooh and HM, the lap bar will be just a few inches from a face. I'm sure he'll be eager to taste-test it, or chew on his fingers after touching it.

I not usually a germaphobe, but I'll do whatever I can to prevent my son from catching an exotic cold or stomach virus on our trip.

I've contemplated bringing a small, waterproof changing pad (about 12"x24") to drape over the bar in front of him, but I'm not sure if that would be allowed. Seems easier than constantly fighting to keep his hands and mouth away from it.

Thoughts?
seriously? just don't let him hold the bar.

exotic cold? i hope you don't think the jungle cruise actually goes through the amazon!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #33
kevschickee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post
OP - if your son tries to put his mouth on the bar, just say "no" and give him something safe to teethe on. Not only is the bar germy, any sudden motion could injure his mouth.
I agree just say no, give the baby a toy and put your hand there

Danica 5 DH 32

http://
kevschickee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #34
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

DS has always been the kid that puts everything in his mouth. Thankfully Iím not overly germ phobic but we do have to watch him closely because he will put anything in his mouth no matter where it came from. If you leave a plastic bag lying around heíll tear off a little piece and keep it in his mouth. Youíll never know until he gets tired of it and comes and spits it out in your hand. Itís dangerous and we try to keep him away from them but he always manages to find something to have in his mouth. Heíll do paper or toilet paper if he canít find anything else.

The idea of your childís mouth on those bars is gross, but we didnít have any problems on rides. The bars arenít really in the right place for that and he was usually busy watching what was going on around him or sleeping.

I agree with a previous poster about the over sanitizing. We wash our hands and use common sense, but I donít chase behind the kids with sanitizer. And Iíve never used one of those cart covers or anything like that. My kids are rarely sick. A friend of mine who is very germ phobic, and keeps the hand sanitizer companies in business, is a different story. Her DD started school and caught every bug that went around and still does no matter how much sanitizer she uses. Her two year old was at my house over the holidays and climbed up on the counter and got the sanitizer for his hands.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #35
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedpink View Post
I didn't know that hand sanitizer doesn't kill norovirus. Yikes!!
It doesn't kill c-diff either. Soap and water when possible.
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #36
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
seriously? just don't let him hold the bar.

exotic cold? i hope you don't think the jungle cruise actually goes through the amazon!
... says the woman who haphazardly tromped through snake-infested brush to pee at the princess half marathon. I guess some people are more risk-averse than others.

Last edited by Waddler; 03-29-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #37
jenifferf00
Mouseketeer

This made me think of the bus ride with my darling two year old while in the world. I turned to look at her after talking to my other DD and DH, and she was LICKING the metal hand rail, while I was holding her! I turned ten shades of green, and she did end up with a fever and puking for one day during our trip. Luckily it was short lived. We did keep a closer eye on her and her mouth after that. I guess I had thought that by two she would know a little better than to lick a random object.

I do work in a hospital though, and have worked in the ER. Germs, strong germs are everywhere. You need to be just as careful, if not more so, at home than at a place like Disney. Disney, and many people there, take precautions against out breaks (not that they don't happen). Grocery stores, local malls, etc. don't always take as much care because they're not as sensitive to an outbreak of an illness.

jenifferf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #38
CaoilinnsMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I'd bet lap bars and the new-ish interactive queues play a large role in WDW's virus outbreaks. They encourage people to touch hard surfaces, where some viruses can live for days and can only be cleaned by bleach. Unlike the local playground, the honey wall has contagions from all over the world! Handwashing plays a huge role, but it's hard to keep very young kids from ever touching their mouth and eyes.
GROSS!!!! I didn't think about the germs from around the world thing. I am a believer in hand washing with soap, not using hand santizers, but this makes me want to bring a container of bleach wipes and wipe everything down as I go through the lines.
CaoilinnsMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: