Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
PocahontasLookALike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post

Quite frankly, giving a 12 month old a pacifier, especially if he doesn't use one, is a terrible idea! No 12 month old should be sucking on a pacifier.

OP - if your son tries to put his mouth on the bar, just say "no" and give him something safe to teethe on. Not only is the bar germy, any sudden motion could injure his mouth.
everyone should gently remember that everyone parents differently. I personally would not make it my place to tell another parent their child is too old for a pacifier (whether the child is or isn't). What works for us may not work for another family <3.

but I do agree that allowing your child to teethe on the lap bar could certainly pose a safety risk if the ride vehicle came to an abrupt stop.

Ridiculously happy DVC Member
"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good"
WDW 2001 - Sheraton Vistana
WDW 2005 - BWV
WDW 2007 - BWV
WDW 2009 - Beach Club Villas
Childhood Disneyland Trips...too many times to count!
2007 Disneyland trips: January, March and October - VGC
2008 Disneyland trip: 2008 Half Marathon in August!
2009 Disneyland trips: September for the Disneyland Half Marathon, October for a big family trip - VGC
February 2011 Disneyland - PPH
April 2013 Disneyland- PPH
October 2014 Disneyland - VGC
PocahontasLookALike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocahontasLookALike View Post
everyone should gently remember that everyone parents differently. I personally would not make it my place to tell another parent their child is too old for a pacifier (whether the child is or isn't). What works for us may not work for another family <3.

but I do agree that allowing your child to teethe on the lap bar could certainly pose a safety risk if the ride vehicle came to an abrupt stop.
Maybe the poster was just trying to point out that medically pacifiers aren't recommended...especially for the teeth. Has nothing to do with what's best for whose family.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #18
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
Great something else to worry about, lol. I didn't think of this. I wear my baby so he has never sat in a shopping cart, so I'm not sure if he'll dive right for the ride handle bars. Being 17 months, he's a little older than putting EVERYTHING in his mouth, so hopefully he won't. I'm somewhat of a germaphobe....I guess we'll just put our hands over the bars so he's not tempted to germ taste. Putting a cloth diaper or a receiving blanket over the bar is a good idea!
But how will you make sure that blanket doesn't fall off, and become part of the ride? Or worse yet, stuck on the track, making the ride stop for everyone. I wouldn't bank on the CMs letting you cover the bar with a blanket or cloth.

I honestly think it is nothing to worry about! If you are holding on to your child tightly, they cannot reach the bar to put their mouth on it. As has been pointed out, getting germs is not even the worst thing that can happen.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #19
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Just to be clear... I know that it's bad idea to let him gnaw on the safety bar. I'll do my best to hold him away from it. I'm just contemplating a second line of defense.

If the bar is resting in his lap or is an inch or two from his face, it'll be tough to keep him from touching it at all.
Waddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #20
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddler View Post
Just to be clear... I know that it's bad idea to let him gnaw on the safety bar. I'll do my best to hold him away from it. I'm just contemplating a second line of defense.

If the bar is resting in his lap or is an inch or two from his face, it'll be tough to keep him from touching it at all.
And I think it is unrealistic to think that you can keep him from touch it all of the time. Just do your best, and don't stress about it. That is kind of what parents do, isn't it?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
getting germs is not even the worst thing that can happen.
Oh, sure. I understand that worse things can happen. However, if I can do something simple to lessen the chance of my 1-year-old catching a stomach bug or cold away from home, I'll do it.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #22
scoutie
DIS Veteran

I worry about all of the oversanitizing people are doing. I feel (as do many medical professionals) very strongly that it's producing superbugs and making us more prone to get even more viruses.

Try to let the baby from gnawing on the bar. Eat fresh, healthy, unprocessed foods, have him drink lots of water, know that he's going to get exposed to some germs, and have faith in his immune system.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #23
maxiesmom

Quote:
Oh, sure. I understand that worse things can happen. However, if I can do something simple to lessen the chance of my 1-year-old catching a stomach bug or cold away from home, I'll do it.
I mean getting germs off of the bar is not the worst thing that can happen. If their mouth is on the bar and the ride suddenly stops or bumps, that can be scary or even hurt your child. Peter Pan comes to mind, there are a lot of jolts and bumps in that one. The best bet is to keep their mouth off of the bar, not sanitize the bar.

Last edited by maxiesmom; 03-27-2013 at 12:46 PM.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #24
Mickfarland4
Mouseketeer

Someone on here(can't remember which board) posted about wipes that kill norovirus. That is the post title too so I would buy these and wipe it down anyway(I am a slight germaphobe!)
Mickfarland4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #25
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Because hand sanitizer doesn't kill everything (like norovirus), and he can catch something by just touching the bar, then touching his mouth.

I'm just curious how other people handle it. (But it's DIS, so I expected snark.) ;-)
That will be true of anything he touches. Unless your plan is to spend the entire trip preventing him from touching anything ever, there's a certain level of risk you just have to accept. The good news is that the safety bars are not going to increase that risk.

As for teething on it directly, that's dangerous for non-germ reasons and you should definitely tell him no.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM   #26
Waddler
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
That will be true of anything he touches..
Eh, he doesn't really touch many of those "high germ traffic" surfaces when we're out. He's not walking yet, so he's in a baby carrier or stroller. I also use a high chair cover for meals and large waterproof pads for diaper changes. He avoids most of the worst surfaces, like the finger scanners and bathroom stall door latches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
As for teething on it directly, that's dangerous for non-germ reasons and you should definitely tell him no.
LOL... Again, I agree with everyone on this! It's icky and dangerous. That's why I started this thread.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
frostedpink
Mouseketeer

I didn't know that hand sanitizer doesn't kill norovirus. Yikes!!
frostedpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #28
maxiesmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostedpink View Post
I didn't know that hand sanitizer doesn't kill norovirus. Yikes!!
Which is why they tell you to not rely on sanitizer, but on good old hand washing. Soap and water do work!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #29
capeseal
DIS Veteran

This was never an issue for us and I am trying to think of why, especially since baby #2 was super oral. I think we just held them close and the lap bar was not in a place where baby could comfortably get at it without major contortion? I also know I wore both of mine on many rides but I think I have heard reports of being asked to take babies out of carriers more often recently? You could also hold baby in your lap sideways on some attractions, even with the safety bar. I'm pretty stomach-virus phobic but the lap bars have never been an issue for us so maybe you'll find that you won't have to worry either?
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
Great something else to worry about, lol. I didn't think of this. I wear my baby so he has never sat in a shopping cart, so I'm not sure if he'll dive right for the ride handle bars. Being 17 months, he's a little older than putting EVERYTHING in his mouth, so hopefully he won't. I'm somewhat of a germaphobe....I guess we'll just put our hands over the bars so he's not tempted to germ taste. Putting a cloth diaper or a receiving blanket over the bar is a good idea!
My 17 month old didn't mouth a single lap bar or anything like that during our time at Disneyland and SeaWorld at that age. And he was constantly teething.

I'm actually trying to think of rides where a bar will be right in front of a baby's face, and I'm having a hard time with it. I know that my arm would be right there anyway, to protect him from smacking his face into anything. DS lost his first tooth at 6 months by smacking into a table, and later had to have two other teeth pulled b/c they grew in yellow, turned brown, and started to disintegrate (either from DH's paternal family's genetics OR from the trauma of hitting that table before they had come from the gums), so I am HIGHLY protective of the kidlet's mouth. Even now at 8 it's the first thing I worry about. OK, second, after his noggin.

Everything I can think of comes down too low or would have my arm right there, helping to hold him in place, or if he woudl be on my lap he would be up too high. And if a parent isn't teensy and makes the lap bar out more it would be up higher, and still hard to get to.

And I agree that the interactive play areas are a germy swarm of nastiness. I'm not a germophobe (honestly I'm more frightened by the idea of putting hand sanitizer chemicals onto a baby's hands when they will then put those hands into their mouths, than I am of just about any germ other than maybe ebola) but that honey wall and the glimpse I saw of the Dumbo standby queue make me shudder to think of it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: