Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #121
Vincent405
Mouseketeer

similar situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooffer View Post
WOW! I am so nervous about next year's Spring Break Family Reunion! I have tried to discourage my mom for booking it this week before Easter, but I cannot. Not only is it the week before Easter and the regular Spring Breakers... but schools that only do April vacations, regardless of the Easter holiday will be out too (which is us). So, 2014 will be miserably packed!

So, can someone tell me about the Phase closings, we will be off-site, so we would be out at Phase 1. When do they make these decisions? Before or after Rope Drop? As the parking lot fills?

Unless I can convince my wife to take my dd out of school, we are looking at the week before Easter, 2014. Anyone have any further thoughts on this? Is it possible that the madness be more spread out next year? Not sure if we will go if it's this crazy. We'd do RD for the most part, but still not sure I'd want to be there if the crowds were like this. The other time we went was a few weeks before Xmas and crowds were great, but that was before school was an issue. I won't go in summer.
Vincent405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #122
tmbacon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent405 View Post
Unless I can convince my wife to take my dd out of school, we are looking at the week before Easter, 2014. Anyone have any further thoughts on this? Is it possible that the madness be more spread out next year? Not sure if we will go if it's this crazy. We'd do RD for the most part, but still not sure I'd want to be there if the crowds were like this. The other time we went was a few weeks before Xmas and crowds were great, but that was before school was an issue. I won't go in summer.
I had asked a similar question on here, didn't really get consistent feedback. My (optimistic) view is that it could be *slightly* better next year, for example perhaps college Spring Breaks would have already been done.

We'll be there next week for a few days after a cruise, meeting friends who are DVC and who go to WDW every Easter and every Halloween. Honestly, I don't know how they handle the crowds. But then again, they have the luxury of going twice a year, and if they can't get to something on one trip, they know they can hit it next time they're at WDW.
Disney resorts: Animal Kingdom, Grand Floridian, All-Star Music, All-Star Sports, Port Orleans French Quarter (twice), Pop Century, Coronado Springs, Villas @ Wilderness Lodge, and a few off-site hotels too.
Did our FIRST Disney Cruise Spring Break 2010.

tmbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #123
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
IMHO, it is going to be worse next year because Easter also coincides with the New England school vacation. Our vacation is always Patriot's Day week. That is why we decided to go in June when school gets out.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #124
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent405

Things will be better next year. It will still be VERY CROWDED. But I would place a decent bet on MK not being at Phase 3 closure by 10:45 am on the Tuesday before Easter. As PPs have said, spring break will be over so they will not be adding to the crowds. I also think this year is extra busy because of the families who waited for the new Fantasyland to open. The vats majority of those people will not be yearly visitors - so they won't be going next year.

The Whole Gang August 2014 AKL
LaurenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #125
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
If there were any way possible, I'd rather try get her out of school to be there the the second week after Easter as crowds died down considerably at the end of the first week after the Easter weekend both years we were there.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #126
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

LOL, I never even knew there was such a thing as Patriot's day, and I'm in NY...
So, if it weren't for Patriot's day, your school wouldn't be taking off anyway for Easter?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #127
tndisneyfan
DIS Veteran

I can't imagine how bad a phase 3 would be. I/ve been there on a day that was a 9 and it was too much for us, we got there early and left when the crowds started rolling in. I wonder what wait times are for days like these.

The one thing I don't understand is with all the talk of the economy being in the tank and high unemployment, you'd think WDW would be less crowded. I've said for the last couple of years there's no recession going on in Disney.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #128
bungirl96
Earning My Ears

How to find out about phased closures?

Is there any place to find out phased closures from outside the park? It would be helpful to know if a park is closed before we head out. Also, when the parks reach phased closures, do they generally reopen later in the day? I saw one place that the parks hit phased closures several times over Christmas around mid day but then reopened again by late afternoon?
bungirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #129
casanova5
Mouseketeer

Its back at 3 again
Old 03-27-2013, 11:44 AM   #130
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

MK has apparently reached phase 3 again for the 3rd day in a row.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #131
casanova5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcd2745
MK has apparently reached phase 3 again for the 3rd day in a row.
U owe me a coke
Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #132
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by casanova5

U owe me a coke
How about a Beverly?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #133
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casanova5 View Post
U owe me a coke

I'm in NYC, so it can't be more than 16 ounces.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #134
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

This phase talk is all new to me, lol. I had no idea they close the park if it's too crowded. We're going the 2nd week of April, hopefully we'll be ok?
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #135
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy
This phase talk is all new to me, lol. I had no idea they close the park if it's too crowded. We're going the 2nd week of April, hopefully we'll ok ok?
You'll be fine. Everything will return to normal on April 8th.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: