Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #151
Nebraska_Disney
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 238

Can you imagine all those folks who planned this week for their first ever visit? I wonder how many will never come back based upon the crowds and cool weather? I think Disney should do a better job of letting people know up front what it means to go at busier times.

For those who know, it is not that big of a deal (go early, stay late etc) but for a first timer, it is already overwhelming and ad to the mix what is going on now, it would be stressful if anything.
Nebraska_Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #152
droycro
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Algonquin, IL
Posts: 82

Yes, MK is back open. I found out about the closing and reopening on WDWMagic.com I agree about the cold!! We are also from the Chicago suburbs and sweatshirts and jeans was the warmest thing we packed too.
__________________
DH, Me, DS (14), (DD 13)

March 1997 - POFQ
January 2003 - offsite
January 2004 - Beach Club and Disney Magic (land & sea package)
May 2005 - Contemporary
May 2006 - Contemporary
July 2010 - Fort Wilderness
March 2013 - POR
droycro is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #153
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska_Disney View Post
Can you imagine all those folks who planned this week for their first ever visit? I wonder how many will never come back based upon the crowds and cool weather? I think Disney should do a better job of letting people know up front what it means to go at busier times.

For those who know, it is not that big of a deal (go early, stay late etc) but for a first timer, it is already overwhelming and ad to the mix what is going on now, it would be stressful if anything.
That would run counter to their corporate goal.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #154
peaches00
Mouseketeer
 
peaches00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 328

Just checked app for wait times; I cannot believe ...210 minutes for soarin, that's 3 1/2 hours people. Yikes! 200 minutes rrc, 110 minutes tot, 85 minutes for its a small world!! Iasw is ride we go on to get out of the heat. We have been on several 9 days and never seen this...but we do rd. Yikes!!!!
__________________


grand floridian 2002 poly club 2009 port Orleans 2011
royal pacific club 2007
Portofino bay club 2008,2010(x2)
2011,2012,2013,2014
peaches00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #155
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches00 View Post
Just checked app for wait times; I cannot believe ...210 minutes for soarin, that's 3 1/2 hours people. Yikes! 200 minutes rrc, 110 minutes tot, 85 minutes for its a small world!! Iasw is ride we go on to get out of the heat. We have been on several 9 days and never seen this...but we do rd. Yikes!!!!
For a brief period over Christmas break, TT had a 300-minute wait.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #156
peaches00
Mouseketeer
 
peaches00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 328

Just checked app for wait times; I cannot believe ...210 minutes for soarin, that's 3 1/2 hours people. Yikes! 200 minutes rrc, 110 minutes tot, 85 minutes for its a small world!! Iasw is ride we go on to get out of the heat. We have been on several 9 days and never seen this...but we do rd. Yikes!!!!
__________________


grand floridian 2002 poly club 2009 port Orleans 2011
royal pacific club 2007
Portofino bay club 2008,2010(x2)
2011,2012,2013,2014
peaches00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #157
inSTiTCHes
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5

Is shouldn't be this bad next week right? I know definitely still very crowded but not phase 3 every day right? My first day of parks is 4/3....
inSTiTCHes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #158
ryansgirl96
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by inSTiTCHes
Is shouldn't be this bad next week right? I know definitely still very crowded but not phase 3 every day right? My first day of parks is 4/3....
Geez I hope not... We have back to back MK on Tuesday and Wednesday... Ugghhh I am dreading it!!
ryansgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #159
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!
 
mcd2745's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC (Queens)
Posts: 2,426

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansgirl96 View Post
Geez I hope not... We have back to back MK on Tuesday and Wednesday... Ugghhh I am dreading it!!


I hope not also. We'll be in MK Tues & Thurs next week.


Anyone know if this has happened before? Phase 3 closings at MK for 3 straight days outside of Christmas week?
__________________

mcd2745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #160
lucyem
DIS Veteran
 
lucyem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Things will be better next year. It will still be VERY CROWDED. But I would place a decent bet on MK not being at Phase 3 closure by 10:45 am on the Tuesday before Easter. As PPs have said, spring break will be over so they will not be adding to the crowds. I also think this year is extra busy because of the families who waited for the new Fantasyland to open. The vats majority of those people will not be yearly visitors - so they won't be going next year.
A couple of years ago Easter fell late in April like next year. We were at WDW the week following Easter which I was told was less busy then the week before and not as busy as a normal Easter week was. It was not too bad as long as you had a plan and made rope drop. We are from the Northeast and usually love our April vacation week because it is after all the spring breaks and Easter.
__________________
lucyem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #161
momto3boysillbe
Mouseketeer
 
momto3boysillbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL
Posts: 183

Now I'm truly terrified for next week. The first time we ever took our family was 4 years ago Easter and the following week. It wasn't that bad. I guess it was later in the month of April that year. Our stupid school system always schedules spring break the week following Easter no matter when it falls. Well, looks like this year we'll be in for a shock. Unfortunately it's too hard to pull my high schooler out during down times anymore. I suppose we might be spending more time at the resort this trip than we're used to.
momto3boysillbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #162
edk35
DIS Veteran
 
edk35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,834

We are here now. We went to MK today. We arrived at 8:00 an hour after it opened. We managed to ride Thunder twice, Splash, Pirates twice, Haunted Mansion. We rode Space Mountain, Mermaid and Buzz with FP. We did Philharmagic and People Mover all before 12:30. That included sitting down for a quick service breakfast. If you arrive early as in rope drop you can even do more. We leave tomorrow and we did MK last week on Friday and got a ton done because it was less crowded but we arrived by opening. On Sunday we arrived around 7 at night and it was pretty crowded until 11 and then it was great after that. When we arrived at 8 today Peter Pan was 15 min. and Pooh was 20 so we skipped those and headed to Thunder. We have had a great trip and we always follow Tour Guide Mike for best park days. If you get to the parks early it makes a huge difference.
__________________

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)

Last edited by edk35; 03-27-2013 at 04:22 PM.
edk35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #163
ryansgirl96
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk35
We are here now. We went to MK today. We arrived at 8:00 an hour after it opened. We managed to ride Thunder twice, Splash, Pirates twice, Haunted Mansion. We rode Space Mountain, Mermaid and Buzz with FP. We did Philharmagic and People Mover all before 12:30. That included sitting down for a quick service breakfast. If you arrive early as in rope drop you can even do more. We leave tomorrow and we did MK last week on Friday and got a ton done because it was less crowded but we arrived by opening. On Sunday we arrived around 7 at night and it was pretty crowded until 11 and then it was great after that. When we arrived at 8 today Peter Pan was 15 min. and Pooh was 20 so we skipped those and headed to Thunder. We have had a great trip and we always follow Tour Guide Mike for best park days. If you get to the parks early it makes a huge difference.
Well that's good to hear bc I've got one 8a morning instead of 7a...
ryansgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #164
JanB
DIS Veteran
 
JanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Posts: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post

You'll be fine. Everything will return to normal on April 8th.
Not sure what constitutes "normal". But I do know that a lot of the public school systems in Georgia (maybe most? Maybe all?) will have their Spring Breaks in April. All of the school systems that I checked in the metro Atlanta area are either the week of April 1 or the week of April 8. I randomly checked a number of others around the state and found one system to be the week of April 15 with all others April 1 or 8.

Still --- maybe the crowd levels will not be as bad.
__________________
JanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #165
mrsp1030
DIS Veteran
 
mrsp1030's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 978

There were also quite a few colleges that did late spring breaks this year and they are this week. Some states are now starting a break week regardless of when Easter falls. Most of Texas and Arizona do this. Northern vA was this week and parts of Ohio, NJ and NY were his week also.
mrsp1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.