Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Question Reseller MYW Ticket to AP Upgrade at Gate vs. Disney AP Voucher Purchase?

Hello experts. In need some of your advice on the purchasing of Annual Passes....

I've studiously reviewed the ticket FAQ (thanks to Cheshire Figment for taking the time to educate all of us!) and I wanted to make sure I have the gist of the Pros & Cons of the two methods of purchasing an AP understood: Upgrading a Reseller Ticket at the Gate/Guest Relations vs. Buying an AP Voucher Directly from Disney. I know if there's something I'm missing, you lot will point it out...

With ticket increases looming, we were running over the costs and procedures of getting APs. Of course, if we could save a couple of bucks in the process even better -- hence me looking into upgrading an Undercover Tourist-bought MYW ticket to an Annual Pass at the gate.
  • With an AP voucher purchase directly via Disney, you still need to turn these in at the gate / Guest Relations for the actual AP. Is this correct? Meaning, I wouldn't potentially be saving any time with one method over the other -- as I would still need to be either turning in a voucher or upgrading a MYW ticket (after using it first at the gate to get the "gate price".)
  • Essentially, other than understanding the caveat of "Disney Might Get Rid of Price Bridging" ... is there any other reason(s) I've not discovered which puts buying a ticket to upgrade (like via Undercover Tourist in our case) at the gate at a disadvantage over buying an AP voucher directly from Disney?
  • Also, if we were to purchase the Tables in Wonderland card -- this also needs to be done at Guest Relations?

Just wanted to make sure we've understood the Pros & Cons before making such a big purchase. (We have been doing our trips with a non-Expire, non-hopper MYW, so getting APs would be a HUGE change in how we "Do Disney."

Thanks very much in advance...
Missoutandabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoutandabout View Post
Hello experts. In need some of your advice on the purchasing of Annual Passes....

I've studiously reviewed the ticket FAQ (thanks to Cheshire Figment for taking the time to educate all of us!) and I wanted to make sure I have the gist of the Pros & Cons of the two methods of purchasing an AP understood: Upgrading a Reseller Ticket at the Gate/Guest Relations vs. Buying an AP Voucher Directly from Disney. I know if there's something I'm missing, you lot will point it out...

With ticket increases looming, we were running over the costs and procedures of getting APs. Of course, if we could save a couple of bucks in the process even better -- hence me looking into upgrading an Undercover Tourist-bought MYW ticket to an Annual Pass at the gate.

1a- With an AP voucher purchase directly via Disney, you still need to turn these in at the gate / Guest Relations for the actual AP. Is this correct?

1b- Meaning, I wouldn't potentially be saving any time with one method over the other -- as I would still need to be either turning in a voucher or upgrading a MYW ticket (after using it first at the gate to get the "gate price".)

2- Essentially, other than understanding the caveat of "Disney Might Get Rid of Price Bridging" ... is there any other reason(s) I've not discovered which puts buying a ticket to upgrade (like via Undercover Tourist in our case) at the gate at a disadvantage over buying an AP voucher directly from Disney?

3- Also, if we were to purchase the Tables in Wonderland card -- this also needs to be done at Guest Relations?
1a- Yes.
1b- Correct.

2- No reason not to buy from an authorized reseller and save money.
But to really SAVE money, you need to buy a Magic Your Way multi-day ticket from, say, UT.
Choose one with the greatest savings, but one that's Disney gate-price is less than
that of the Disney gate-price for an AP.
Use that ticket to enter a theme park at least once BEFORE you do the upgrade to AP.
(I'll restate this info in a slightly different way below.)

3- Yes.

-------

There is a way to buy AP's for Disney World and still get a "discount."
It's easy, but requires a few "steps" to accomplish.

Here's the deal:

First, find the absolute best deal you can on a multi-day MYW ticket from a reputable WDW ticket discounter.

You will want to choose a ticket to buy from the discounter that offers the most savings, but only on a ticket that costs
(at the WDW gate) LESS than an AP.

-----------------------------------------------------
Here are some popular, reliable links for info and/or tickets:

http://www.mousesavers.com

http://www.undercovertourist.com

http://www.ticketmania.com

http://www.mapleleaftickets.com

And, AAA travel offices can often be a good source.
-----------------------------------------------------

Buy your MYW ticket from the discounter.
(Likely the best deal will be on a ticket with a larger number of days on it.)

When you get to WDW, USE your discounted ticket to go into a THEME PARK at least one day.

THEN, go to any Guest Relations or Ticket Window at the park, TTC, or DTD.

Upgrade to an AP.

Since you have USED a day of your discounted ticket, you will receive the CURRENT GATE PRICE when you trade in your discounted ticket.

So...

You will get to "keep the discount" you got on the MYW ticket, but you will then be buying an AP as if you had paid full current gate price for the MYW you are trading-in.

Last edited by Robo; 03-29-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Cheers, Robo!

I didn't think there was any reason not to buy from an Authorized Reseller (then upgrade at Guest Relations after using it once at the turnstile) but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Cheers, Robo!

I didn't think there was any reason not to buy from an Authorized Reseller (then upgrade at Guest Relations after using it once at the turnstile) but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing.

One spin I would add is that it's not just the possibility that Disney could do away with price bridging of discounted tickets that you might have to deal with. It's the fact that even today with the policy in place there are CMs at the ticket windows and guest relations who don't know or choose not to apply the policy. While those problems can be resolved by getting a supervisor involved or trying the transaction again at another time and or location, it's a potential hassle that you would not have with the simpler voucher-to-AP transaction. I'd personally still opt for using a discounted MYW ticket to capture those savings on the transaction--and have done it three times myself--but your tolerance for annoyances like that may be different than mine.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
One spin I would add is that it's not just the possibility that Disney could do away with price bridging of discounted tickets that you might have to deal with. It's the fact that even today with the policy in place there are CMs at the ticket windows and guest relations who don't know or choose not to apply the policy. While those problems can be resolved by getting a supervisor involved or trying the transaction again at another time and or location, it's a potential hassle that you would not have with the simpler voucher-to-AP transaction. I'd personally still opt for using a discounted MYW ticket to capture those savings on the transaction--and have done it three times myself--but your tolerance for annoyances like that may be different than mine.
Thanks for this reply. I had considered the potential for additional hassle if I was unlucky enough to get a less-knowledgeable CM and then had to involve a supervisor (ugh). I think my love of savings outweighs my dislike of being a "squeaky wheel." You having done it successfully three times -- and reading of others doing the same -- gives me hope. (I do wonder if the people who encountered unhelpful CMs had failed to use their ticket at the turnstile first. It seems like -- if it works like it says -- it should be a matter of applying the gate price of the type of ticket toward the gate price of annual pass and then paying the difference? Obviously, you'd have to know the current gate prices of both the AP and the type of ticket you were upgrading from beforehand. Unless I'm missing something on how it works. Of course, I'm no expert ... hence me asking here in the first place. )
Old 03-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Robo

Quote:

1- I do wonder if the people who encountered unhelpful CMs had failed to use their ticket at the turnstile first.

It seems like -- if it works like it says --

2- it should be a matter of applying the gate price of the type of ticket toward the gate price of annual pass and then paying the difference?

3- Obviously, you'd have to know the current gate prices of both the AP and the type of ticket you were upgrading from beforehand.

4- Unless I'm missing something on how it works.
1- Those reporting problems overwhelmingly DID use their tickets first.

2- Correct.
But, that works only if the CM knows the correct procedure to follow
(and is not just "helpfully" making up their own rules to "save Disney money.")

3- That's what we've been telling folks to do here for years and years.
"Know exactly what the upgrade should cost before you do the upgrade."

4- That's how it works.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Missoutandabout
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
1- Those reporting problems overwhelmingly DID use their tickets first.
Ah, that's a shame. I guess, like everywhere in these types of situations, it's luck of the draw. I'm hoping we get through our upgrade with no hassles.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
Robo

Quote:
Ah, that's a shame. I guess, like everywhere in these types of situations, it's luck of the draw. I'm hoping we get through our upgrade with no hassles.
Many do report no problems.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Cinderumbrella
Wench

We are not going unil June but I bought AP vouchers earlier this week. With the price increase coming before our trip, I figured the discount I would get by price bridging a UT ticket would probably be negated by the increase in the AP anyway.
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Eeyore's Wife
DIS Veteran

It can work and be easy.

First, know what the price SHOULD be to upgrade the ticket.

Second, after using the ticket to get in the park head to Guest Services and say these words, exactly, "What would it cost to upgrade this ticket to an AP?"

By phrasing it that way they will not do anything to your ticket that is irrevocable.

If you hear a price higher than you expected either ask for the ticket back and try another day or ask for a manager.

Have a great trip!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
Music City Mama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
We are not going unil June but I bought AP vouchers earlier this week. With the price increase coming before our trip, I figured the discount I would get by price bridging a UT ticket would probably be negated by the increase in the AP anyway.
Similar situation here. Even though we're going in June, I still plan on buying regular MYW tickets for that trip (probably going to buy the 5 day tickets via UT that are currently $25/off per ticket and then upgrading to a 7 day via price-bridging).

HOWEVER, I need APs beginning in November (to use for November '13, June '14, and possibly October '14). While I don't know how much the price increase will be, I thought it might still be better to buy it at the current rate because even though I'll receive the then current gate price, the amount to bridge it to will have gone up, as well. Fortunately, AAA South (FL, GA and TN) offers a discount on APs, so I did save $35 over buying directly from Disney (I would have saved more, but I have to pay my sales tax rate and that is 9.25%). Oh well, it was something!
Music City Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
goofy_joe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore's Wife View Post
It can work and be easy.
If you hear a price higher than you expected either ask for the ticket back and try another day or ask for a manager.
Based on the sticky, I think it'd be best, before either stepping away or asking for a manager, to ask, "Has the price been bridged?" It should only be a few cents off what you were expecting to pay, if that. (And don't forget potential taxes.) Any minor difference is probably just a rounding error.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: