Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Figee17
Mouseketeer

New discoveries for me! What are yours?

I have been to WDW more than 20 times. This past weekend, I did a short 1.5 days - half day in Hollywood Studios and full day in EPCOT. My mother and father were with me and I was without my 2.5 yo DS so it was a relaxed, "lets explore" trip.
We found the Writers Stop in HS to be a delightful resting spot. Its like a mini Barnes and Noble cafe in the middle of Disney - wonderful!
I also tried to new to me restaurants - Mama Melrose and San Angel Inn and enjoyed both of them very much.
We tried some of the quick service Morocco food (trying to work mom up to trying the table service with us) and saw the Flower and Garden topiaries and sampled some of the food/drinks that went along with that.
We found we had apparently always skipped the Werther's bakery in Germany so stopped and got some treats in there as well.
I think I could go 100+ times and still not see it all, but I love to discover new things and rediscover old things I haven't had time to do in awhile.
What are your favorites?
Figee17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
MAPOrocks
Mouseketeer

Flame Tree BBQ outdoor eating

In doing research for my upcoming trip, I discovered the beautiful outdoor eating area at Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom. WHO KNEW that little oasis was there?? We always ate at Pizzafari, because the kids loved the different animal themed rooms.

In epcot last trip, my daughter discovered the Sum of All Thrills ride at EPCOT and absolutely had a blast making her own roller coaster ride.

That's the fun of Disney, you can go 20 times and still find new and interesting things to do, eat!, and see!
MAPOrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
Couchy
DIS Veteran

Last summer DH and I discovered the animation drawing class at DHS. We also discovered that the Writer's Stop is a great place for our afternoon espresso break

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Andrew*A
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figee17 View Post
I have been to WDW more than 20 times. This past weekend, I did a short 1.5 days - half day in Hollywood Studios and full day in EPCOT. My mother and father were with me and I was without my 2.5 yo DS so it was a relaxed, "lets explore" trip.
We found the Writers Stop in HS to be a delightful resting spot. Its like a mini Barnes and Noble cafe in the middle of Disney - wonderful!
I also tried to new to me restaurants - Mama Melrose and San Angel Inn and enjoyed both of them very much.
We tried some of the quick service Morocco food (trying to work mom up to trying the table service with us) and saw the Flower and Garden topiaries and sampled some of the food/drinks that went along with that.
We found we had apparently always skipped the Werther's bakery in Germany so stopped and got some treats in there as well.
I think I could go 100+ times and still not see it all, but I love to discover new things and rediscover old things I haven't had time to do in awhile.
What are your favorites?
The writers stop has become a must do for us on our visits to HS. It is the only place in the whole of disney that they sell the carrot cake cookies. They are big enough to share and full of calories. Can't wait until November.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
mickeymom629
DIS Veteran

On our recent trip in January, I finally got to see the Flag Retreat Ceremony at the MK! We also found the Werther's Bakery in Germany - can't believe we've bypassed that place so many times!! Of course we did the new FL for the first time - ETWB, VotLM, ate at Gaston's and BOG. We had ice cream at the Edy's in Epcot for the first time.

I can't think of any more right now...

(btw, the quick service in Morocco is a favorite of ours!)
2014 Nov DL/DCA GCV for Avengers Half!!;2014 Feb AKV/BLT for PHM!!; 2013 Jan ASM/BWV grand villa!!; 2012 April DL/DCA GCV (spring break); 2010 March Princess Half Marathon POFQ/BWV; 2009 May SSR villa; 2008 June OKW; 2008 March (Spring break) BWV; 2007 Dec. Quality Suites; 2007 July POP/OKW; 2006 April (Spring break) Quality Suites/OKW; 2005 June/July ASSp/OKW; 2005 March - (Spring break) OKW;2004 June/July CBR/OKW; 2003 Dec. BWV; 2003 Jan. Wonder Cruise/HH; 2002 Apr. (Spring break) VWL; 2001 July OKW; 2000 Aug. FW cabin/BWV; 1999 Oct./Nov. ASM/ASSp Became DVC owners!; 1998 Apr./May FW Cabin; 1993 Dec. Travelodge
mickeymom629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
cancersucks
Mouseketeer

We go about every 2 years, and on our last trip- although we had a blast and loved it- started to feel a bit redundant. Even to me!!

This time my goal is to do things that are new to us. Which is a lot! We just always got stuck in the rut of doing the same thing! I can't wait to explore like you did!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*A View Post
The writers stop has become a must do for us on our visits to HS. It is the only place in the whole of disney that they sell the carrot cake cookies. They are big enough to share and full of calories. Can't wait until November.
Other than Beverly Sunset (next to Villains In Vogue).
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
ars0525
DIS Veteran

Last trip new things we did/tried...
  • the animation class at DHS
  • actually sitting down & just people watching in WS in some countries
  • the different sodas at Epcot (not sure how we always missed that??)
  • riding the train the whole way around MK
  • staying for the 3pm parade in MK (usually we take our nap to come back for PM EMH)
  • Dinoland at AK
  • trying to meet more characters for pictures (usually skip those)
  • standing on Main Street for the MK fireworks
  • the mission game in Epcot
  • Fantasmic
Got my AP so visit whenever I can!

There's no crying at Disney
ars0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPOrocks View Post
In doing research for my upcoming trip, I discovered the beautiful outdoor eating area at Flame Tree BBQ in Animal Kingdom. WHO KNEW that little oasis was there?? We always ate at Pizzafari, because the kids loved the different animal themed rooms.

In epcot last trip, my daughter discovered the Sum of All Thrills ride at EPCOT and absolutely had a blast making her own roller coaster ride.

That's the fun of Disney, you can go 20 times and still find new and interesting things to do, eat!, and see!
A word of warning while dinning at Flam Tree. Make sure you sit under the pavilion otherwise the birds will pee on you. There are all these white birds in the trees that gather because guest feed them. Well they like to sit in the tree and pee on people who are eating if you are not under the sheltered area. I have seen it on many visits to Flame Tree where guest have gotten peed on.

Some other over looked things:
Taking a tour of the Wilderness Lodge They hold them daily but don't remember what time. Find out why they have to call a priest in every year to bless the lodge. Its because of something Disney overlooked when building the lodge.
Taking the free tour including food sampling of Boma and Jirko's at AKL everyday at 4:00 so arrive at 3:45.
Renting bikes and riding from VWL to the camp grounds. Visit with the animals in the barn.
What the lighting of the torches at the Poly. They put on a ceremony in front of the lobby with a fire baton twirler.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 03-27-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Peachkins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars0525 View Post
Last trip new things we did/tried...
  • the animation class at DHS
  • actually sitting down & just people watching in WS in some countries
  • the different sodas at Epcot (not sure how we always missed that??)
  • riding the train the whole way around MK
  • staying for the 3pm parade in MK (usually we take our nap to come back for PM EMH)
  • Dinoland at AK
  • trying to meet more characters for pictures (usually skip those)
  • standing on Main Street for the MK fireworks
  • the mission game in Epcot
  • Fantasmic
I want to do the animation class on my next trip. I had no idea it existed until after my last visit. I'm also really excited at the prospect of spending two whole days at Epcot. You just can't see it all in one day. I can't wait to be able to really explore the countries and check out some of the shops and other attractions we usually miss.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM   #11
bluechic03
DIS Veteran

I really want to do the animation class too! Every time we are in the animation courtyard to meet the characters it always seems like my timing is off. Does anyone know when the classes are offered? I tried looking at the website and they aren't listed Im guessing just throughout the day?

An April Dining Report!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post48266800
bluechic03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:22 PM   #12
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechic03
I really want to do the animation class too! Every time we are in the animation courtyard to meet the characters it always seems like my timing is off. Does anyone know when the classes are offered? I tried looking at the website and they aren't listed Im guessing just throughout the day?
When we were there in December, they were every 30 minutes starting at 10:00, with the last class starting at 4:30. We did it three times - one of my favorite Disney experiences ever.

What worked best for us was on our second day at HS (just a few hours for greatest hits). We rode TSM and then got FPs for TSM (10:30 -11:30). DH then rode RnR twice while I got us cupcakes (best breakfast ever). We finished the cupcakes just before 10, walked to the Animation area and did the 10:00 class and finished just as our FPs for TSM were valid. Rode that and left the park. At MK by 11:00 for the next phase of greatest hits day.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
ReluctantDisaholic
Mouseketeer

This past trip (our 4th) we did a lot of new things:

Boma, Cape May, Be Our Guest, T-Rex, 'Ohana, Trail's End, Liberty Tree Tavern, Mama Melrose, Flame Tree BBQ...

Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror, Big Thunder Mountain, One Man's Dream, Festival of the Lion King, Jammin' Jungle Parade, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (one of us), Liberty Square Riverboat, a bunch of Innoventions stuff...

Ziti Sisters, Sergio, Serveur Amusant...

We didn't get to do Characters in Flight when we were downtown, so that's on next year's list
March 2013 - POR
March 2014 - POR/POFQ
August 2015 - Poly

ReluctantDisaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #14
Mariannekay
Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings.

On my upcoming trip I'm planning on taking the "Behind the Seeds" tour at Epcot! I'm really looking forward to it! Also, I'll be spending an afternoon solo and want to tour some of the resorts that I've not seen.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPOrocks View Post
The best part of the seating there is the themes. Look in each pagoda and u will sculptures of a different predator/prey combo like birds and worms

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: