Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #31
Jessica_of_FL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannylori View Post
DH & I did the new wine/chocolate tasting two weeks ago on the Fantasy. It was great!!! Took the server/presenter(forgot his name), two hours to set it up and when you saw it,you could see why. It was so precise, so beautiful. I took a picture of our table, but I don't know how to post pics here. I'd do it again in a second. Don't remember if it was $15 or $20.
DH has done wine and mixology and loved them both.
Definitely fun, different,interesting!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
DH did the Whiskey Tasting on the Magic in February. The cost was $20 and the session was at 10 PM. There were 3 other people who participated. They tasted 5 different whiskeys - one from each region. The Castmember was very knowledgable. DH is a scotch/whiskey drinker and he felt it was worth the cost for the amount you received. He had a very good time and would recommend it to others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokelridesagain View Post
I've done several of these.

The cognac tasting ($20, Fantasy, 11-2012) was the best value. Had the entry level Courvoisier, Hennessy, and Remy Martin pours, and was going to finish with Courvoisier XO--but one participant asked the bartender to pour Hennessy XO instead...which is close to a $200 bottle. And he did it! Not sure if you'll get the same experience, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Whisky tasting was much better on the Wonder (9-2010) than the Fantasy (same bartender as the cognac tasting, oddly enough). Wonder had a bourbon, rye (Crown), Irish, blended Scotch, and single malt...none were very good products but there were five or them and bartender poured an extra round at the end. Fantasy had only four pours, blend, single malt and two ryes, if memory serves. It's not a bad value for what you get, but if you know much about whisky it's not going to break new ground.

Similar theme on beer, boring, also an OK value (5 eight oz. pours)...they probably won't serve Bud Light but there's no 'exotic' beer on the boat if you're a craft beer aficionado. They did give me two free beers for answering trivia correctly, however!

Martini tasting is fine, but it's really more of a cocktail tasting. 3 of the 5 drinks were what I would consider dessert 'martinis'...apple, 'chocotini' and some thing with Chambord. The other two were an (OK) dirty martini with vodka and an 'original' martini with gin based on the classic 3 parts gin to 1 part vermouth recipe...which is universally acknowledged to be way too much vermouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse2011 View Post
Our DIS meet group did a private mixology class which was very fun. I also thought it was quite a bargain at only $15.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTrisha View Post
I agree that the martini tasting is more of a cocktail tasting - still very good. We also had a dry martini though because I don't like gin and it was a small group so our bartender mixed things up a bit.
I've added all the prices you've shared and links to your reviews to the first post! Thank you so much!!

A True Disney Girl! This is the year of the Premier Annual Pass!
DLR lover starting in utero. DLR AP from 3 (I remember the big deal it was for me to finally be old enough to get my picture taken for that!) to 9. WDW AP off and on since age 15 (currently a Premier passholder!)
Disney Resorts I've stayed at over the years: Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Music, All Star Movies, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Hilton Head Island,The Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village The Villas at the Grand Californian

Disney Fantasy Eastern 6/2012, Disney Wonder WBPC 5/2013
Jessica_of_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
ddeal1957
Mouseketeer

Would love to do the chocolate tasting on our upcoming Wonder cruise!!!!!!

Have my fingers crossed......

Disney Magic - 9/20/2014 Southern Caribbean

Disney Wonder - 4/6/2013
Disney Dream - 4/1/2012; 3/18/2011
WDW-12/2013; 12/2012; 12/2011; 4/2011; 10/2010; 4/2010; 12/2008; 4/2008 plus 10 more........
ddeal1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #33
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

DH and I did the tequila tasting on the Wonder and it was good, but not great. The bartender was a little mellow, and he explained each tequila but the experience just felt average. The tequilas were good, though, even though we are NOT tequila people. That's why we signed up for it--- to see if someone can educate us on tequila. We enjoyed the drinks. I would probably do something different next time.

Is the Chocolate tasting on the Magic? My sis-in-law and I would probably do that....
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
sorceressk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse2011 View Post
Our DIS meet group did a private mixology class which was very fun. I also thought it was quite a bargain at only $15.
That's cool. How did u get that set up??
Old 03-27-2013, 05:19 PM   #35
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

Here are a link to my reviews:

Mixology:
2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post39934502
2012:

Wine Tasting:
2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post40108940

Whiskey Tasting:
2011: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post40109049

Martini Tasting
2012: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...4#post46242634

Beer Tasting:
2012: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...4#post47098284

Cognac Tasting:
2012: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46443790
Old 03-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #36
C&Apriputin
Earning My Ears

We were on the Wonder in May 2012... We did mixology, Bloody Mary, and DH did whiskey.... They were fun, and we certainly got our money's worth of alcohol -- not positive but think the first two were $15 and the whiskey was $20. I would love to try chocolate -- don't remember that being offered, but I have two chances for it in September 2014!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #37
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

Jessica_of_FL - - - > YOU are so AWESOME for doing this and keeping it up to date!!

Thanks!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #38
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceressk View Post
That's cool. How did u get that set up??
Someone in our DIS meet group had done one on a previous cruise, so she knew that we could do it. She called and talked to DCL about it, and had our names and states room numbers. We needed a minimum of 25 people. Although if we were a few people short, we could split the price difference amongst us. She just kept us updated on our DIS meet thread. We ended up in the OUtlook bar on the first sea day. We had so much fun that we were saying how we might want to do another mixology class. The bartender was accommodating and said that if we wanted to do a second mixology, he would be able to set it up and just learn different drinks. We did not follow through with the second mixology, but I really wish that we did!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #39
Jessica_of_FL
Mouseketeer

Beverage Tastings and Seminars - Prices & Reviews

Thank you! I've linked to all your reviews in the first post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
Jessica_of_FL - - - > YOU are so AWESOME for doing this and keeping it up to date!!

Thanks!
Thank you! I figured this could be a resource for more people than just me

DLR lover starting in utero. DLR AP from 3 (I remember the big deal it was for me to finally be old enough to get my picture taken for that!) to 9. WDW AP off and on since age 15 (currently a Premier passholder!)
Disney Resorts I've stayed at over the years: Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Music, All Star Movies, Port Orleans Riverside, Port Orleans French Quarter, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Old Key West, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Hilton Head Island,The Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village The Villas at the Grand Californian

Last edited by Jessica_of_FL; 03-29-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: mere = more
Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #40
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse2011

Someone in our DIS meet group had done one on a previous cruise, so she knew that we could do it. She called and talked to DCL about it, and had our names and states room numbers. We needed a minimum of 25 people. Although if we were a few people short, we could split the price difference amongst us. She just kept us updated on our DIS meet thread. We ended up in the OUtlook bar on the first sea day. We had so much fun that we were saying how we might want to do another mixology class. The bartender was accommodating and said that if we wanted to do a second mixology, he would be able to set it up and just learn different drinks. We did not follow through with the second mixology, but I really wish that we did!
We set one up for our coming cruise. In our case we were told a limit of 20.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #41
CruiseCrazy44
Mouseketeer

Are the tastings something you have to sign up for, or do you just show up? Because DH and I would love to try the mixology one! He needs to learn how to make me a proper Bahama Mamma!
CruiseCrazy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #42
LyndaC
Mouseketeer

We did the Bloody Mary tasting on the Fantasy December 2012, $15. Learned that I only like classic Bloody Marys.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 AM   #43
klepton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_of_FL View Post
DH and I will be going on the WBPC in May and I am trying to estimate our expenses

Below are the tasting that have been offered by DCL in the past. Could you help by filling in the info on any tasting you know the price of? Here on the DIS, I've read some are $15, some are $20. But I'd really like to know the actual price of each (with the knowledge that the price could change whenever DCL decides it needs to )

Blind Wine Tasting
Bourbon Tasting
Champagne & Sparkling Wine Tasting - $30.00
Chocolate Tasting - $30.00
Cognac Tasting - $20.00
Domestic Beer Tasting
International Beer Tasting
International Whiskey Tasting
Malt Whiskey Tasting - $20.00
Martini Tasting - $15.00
Mixology/Mixology Class - $15.00
Mojito Tasting - $15.00
New World Red Wine Tasting
Old World Red Wine Tasting
Old World White Wine Tasting
Rum Tasting - $15.00
Tequila and Margarita Tasting - $15.00
Wine Pairing
Wine Tasting
Wine Tasting (Food & Wine Pairing)

Click on the to be taken to a post with a review in it!

The "Wine Tasting (Food & Wine Pairing)" sounds awesome, and I'm guessing it costs alot more. Has anyone ever done it and have a review?

For that matter, any tastings that I should make a point of trying to get into? Or make sure to avoid?

Thank you!

Jessica
I did every single tasting on my magic cruise in Jan... I'm an over-achiever

I'll try to fill in some of your gaps, though you've done a great job compiling all this info.

There was a Whisky/Bourbon tasting. $20 for 5 pours, 10:00pm at Cove Cafe.

International Beer was $15 - Boddingtons, Guiness, Red Strip, Newcastle and Fosters

Our wine tastings weren't broken up into red and white. We had:
Around the World Wine
New World Wine
Old World Wine
Texas Wines (it was a last minute thing when our COsta Maya stop was cancelled)
Each session included 2-3 whites, 3 reds, and one champagne. Each was also $15

They duplicated Martini, Mixology, and tequilla on our cruise. They said they'd do things a little different at the second sessions, but they really didn't. I still enjoyed attending a second time, but would have liked to taste difference drinks, especially in mixology.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #44
Jessica_of_FL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaC View Post
We did the Bloody Mary tasting on the Fantasy December 2012, $15. Learned that I only like classic Bloody Marys.
oohhh Bloody Marys!! Adding that to the list! Thank you!

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #45
Jessica_of_FL
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klepton View Post
I did every single tasting on my magic cruise in Jan... I'm an over-achiever

I'll try to fill in some of your gaps, though you've done a great job compiling all this info.

There was a Whisky/Bourbon tasting. $20 for 5 pours, 10:00pm at Cove Cafe.

International Beer was $15 - Boddingtons, Guiness, Red Strip, Newcastle and Fosters

Our wine tastings weren't broken up into red and white. We had:
Around the World Wine
New World Wine
Old World Wine
Texas Wines (it was a last minute thing when our COsta Maya stop was cancelled)
Each session included 2-3 whites, 3 reds, and one champagne. Each was also $15

They duplicated Martini, Mixology, and tequilla on our cruise. They said they'd do things a little different at the second sessions, but they really didn't. I still enjoyed attending a second time, but would have liked to taste difference drinks, especially in mixology.
Thank you for being an over-achiever And for sharing your info! I've added it to the first post!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: