Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
kacaju
DIS Veteran

CANON EOS REBEL T3i

I recently bought his camera and while I am having a lot of fun figuring out how to use it I have a problem. I am thinking the picture load too big on my computer and then if I email them to a friend they are huge. Plus I cannot load any of these new pictures on facebook..I think it is because they are too big? Any ideas?
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Are you shooting raw or jpeg? If you're shooting jpeg, it shouldn't really be an issue. If shooting raw, you need to convert the files to jpeg, with compression. If still too large, just need to increase the compression.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

The software that came with your camera should have the ability to decrease the size of your photo to a size thats easier to email.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

You should be able to use a photo editing program to save your photo into a smaller size.

Or you could just choose to shoot in a smaller file size from the get go.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
hakepb
DIS Veteran

Or upload your photos to a photo sharing site like photobucket or smugmug You may need a premium account, but the cloud can serve as a 3rd level backup, too. (Note photo sharing sites optimize photos so you don't have 100% of the detail, but many people don't notice)

Once the photos are uploaded, they are usually easier to share via email or linking to Facebook.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I believe that you are shooting with an 18mp camera. At best quality (why would you want to shoot with anything less?), your JPEG images with no cropping could be 10-12 mb per image. Email accounts only allow for 25mb of data to be sent per email. So the max you could send at best resolution is 2 images. With aol, I still have problems so I don't use them anymore for images. You can either use lower resolution or my recommendation would be subscribe to a photo hosting site, ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc. You can then invite others to your site. I have never had a problem loading full res photos onto Facebook , although I do allow Facebook to automatically reduce the resolution.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
I recently bought his camera and while I am having a lot of fun figuring out how to use it I have a problem. I am thinking the picture load too big on my computer and then if I email them to a friend they are huge. Plus I cannot load any of these new pictures on facebook..I think it is because they are too big? Any ideas?
Here is the dilemma: you bought a nice camera so it would seem that you want good photographs from it. This means you should set it to the best quality possible, which is RAW or Large Fine JPG (or both). But... you want images for posting on Facebook and for emailing, the 18 MP images are far too large for that even with compression.

Setting the camera for smaller images means you wasted money buying an 18 MP camera, plus if you want to get large prints made you are out of luck.

A number of free software packages allow us to resize our photos (leaving the originals intact) so we can email and post the images. IrfanView is one, a quick search will show many more.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
kacaju
DIS Veteran

thank you everyone!!
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
my recommendation would be subscribe to a photo hosting site, ie Flickr, Photobucket, etc. You can then invite others to your site. I have never had a problem loading full res photos onto Facebook , although I do allow Facebook to automatically reduce the resolution.
Flickr is good, Facebook - not so good (for pics)
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: