Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
mamamac
Mouseketeer

Blue Lagoon Beach Day

My sister signed up for this "excursion". I have a feeling that she is paying way too much considering we will have a day at Castaway Cay the very next day. Is there something that I am missing? If it's just a beach, I may say something to her to spend the money on a different excursion. They are just doing the beach, no encounters.

4/2002 - Family Reunion at Contemporary
5/2009 - Family fun with neighbors and inlaws at Windsor Hills
5/2010 - A "Re-do of the Re-do Vacation" at Wilderness Lodge
5/2011 - Contemporary with Oma and Opa

June 2013 Looking forward to our first cruise with the family!
mamamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
bekkio
Mouseketeer

We did this a few years back and enjoyed it. It's about a 45 minute boat ride to the lagoon, and you can choose whether to ride back mid afternoon or late afternoon. It's relaxing and was not crowded at all.
bekkio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
policycobb
DIS Veteran

Blue Lagoon is nice. You can watch the dolphins and sea lions without doing the encounters. If she enjoys beach days, it's great. Check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
robhawk
DIS Veteran

We hope to do this excursion! I think it avoids all the panhandlers the island is known for!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
chateau
DIS Veteran

We nearly had the beach to ourselves there. THAT was SO worth it!! One other family was there, then took the early boat back, leaving just us!!! This was after the Dolphin meet that we did.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

I researched forever and we are also doing this with dolphin encounter first. so excited!

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Canadian Fan
Earning My Ears

We did the dolphin encounter on our cruise two years ago. I honestly did not enjoy the encounter or excursion. The boat ride to the lagoon was very rough - especially the last half. So much so we had to take motion sickness meds. For the dolphin encounter we were in a large group and the whole process felt very rushed - not a lot of individual interaction and not much of a WOW moment. The swim with dolphins would have been worth the extra but my son was not old enough at the time. We spent the rest of the afternoon on the beach. I did not get in the water but the beach was very pebbly. And the food on the island was terrible. Castaway is the ultimate beach day. Blue lagoon did not come close to comparing in my opinion.

Canadian Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #8
m&m123
Mouseketeer

Interesting how opinions can vary... We loved blue lagoon as much as CC! Very different places though. CC is very much Disney. Blue Lagoon Island felt more like a tropical island, was more relaxed and had more shady areas. The dolphins and sea lions are great to look at. We did 2 different encounters on different vacations and were happy with both. This island has upgraded/changed several things over the last 4 years-even the pictures on their website are not caught up with the changes. One example is the inflatable water toys-there are many more now than is pictured. They are also an extra fee.

I seemed to remember the boat ride as being 30 minutes. It was a very beautiful ride over to the island.
Check out the you tube videos about the island to help you make a better decision. I typed in "blue lagoon island Bahamas"

m&m123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

We did Blue Lagoon last March, the boat ride was pretty quick 30 min Max. The island is beautiful. It was cool to see the sea animals. One warning.... The alcohol drinks are EXTREMELY strong!!! Lol lol . Extremely nice people working on the island
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: