Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
DisneyDetective
DIS Veteran

Snow Photos

I have a Canon 400D DSLR and i'm going on holiday soon. alot of the scenery/landscape will be covered in snow, do you have any hints/tips on how to get the best out of my camera?

thank you
Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

When we had a good snow covering earlier this winter, which doesn't happen that often here in coastal Virginia, I found a couple of good blog posts that helped me out.

Here are a few that were helpful: http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/20...nail-exposure/

http://www.nyfalls.com/article-photographing-snow.html

For most of my shots, I had exposure compensation set at +2, and got some good results.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I would shoot in RAW or add a bit of exposure compensation in your settings. In a scene with a lot of white, it is common for the camera to compensate by underexposing the photo a bit.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

For exposure, I have metered off an object that had the same light falling on it then locked the exposure and recomposed. I have also done what others have said and increased my exposure setting. I usually go about 1 to 1 1/2 stops over then adjust if I need to in post process. Plus shoot in raw.

According to Bryan Peterson's book Understanding Exposure, if you have alot of blue sky, he says to meter off the blue sky, lock in exposure and recompose and take the pic. I have not really tried this because here in NE Ohio you don't get much blue sky in the winter.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Bracketing is a good method to get good exposures in challenging situations. The good part about digital is that bracketing does not cost anything, other than memory card space. Your camera can be set to take three exposures at different settings. Starting with 0, +1, +2 will probably get good exposures for snow scenes.

White balance can be a problem with snow and cloudy skies, it would be best to use RAW to give you the most flexibility in adjusting WB later if necessary.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 AM   #6
Ladygoldenhair
DIS Veteran

Exactly what setting is "in Raw?"
Is this on a DSLR or point n shoot options?
Ladygoldenhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygoldenhair View Post
Exactly what setting is "in Raw?"
Is this on a DSLR or point n shoot options?
It's a DSLR option and some higher end point and shoots (particularly the bridge cameras) also offer the ability to shoot RAW. It's essentially a file that saves the data before it's processed into a jpeg in the camera. Then you take the RAW file to the computer and adjust settings how you want them. Many of us do this because once things like white balance, saturation, sharpening.. etc are applied in camera and saved as a jpeg it is more difficult to make changes to those things later. RAW also makes it much easier to make global changes to exposure in editing than when you start with a jpeg. There are other reasons we shoot RAW as well, like to avoid jpeg compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDetective View Post
I have a Canon 400D DSLR and i'm going on holiday soon. alot of the scenery/landscape will be covered in snow, do you have any hints/tips on how to get the best out of my camera?

thank you
Snow is one place I get my handy dandy gray card out to meter off of.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: