Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
bobbi565
DIS Veteran

Power Strips Confiscated?

I just read on Mousesavers that people are reporting having power strips confiscated when boarding. I haven't read about this anywhere else. Has anyone had this experience? We always bring one on vacation as we tend to bring a lot of electronics. Any first hand experience with this?
Cruises To Date:Jan. 25 - 28, 2007: 3 Night Bahamian on the Wonder May 3 - 10, 2008: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Magic June 15 - 22, 2013: 7 Night Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy June 13 - 20, 2015: 7 Night Western Caribbean on the Fantasy
Trips to WDW: 1972 - off site, 1974 - off site, July 1999 - Caribbean Beach, April 2010 - Pop Century, June 2012 - Pop Century, Dec. 2012 - Animal Kingdom Lodge, June 2014 - Pop Century
May 3-10 Western Trippie: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1726945 June 15 - 22 Eastern Trippie http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post48933156
bobbi565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
Callymum
DIS Veteran

I haven't had this done but I'm aware that they are not allowed in the cabins.

Extension cords at the bottom.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...hibited-items/
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callymum View Post
I haven't had this done but I'm aware that they are not allowed in the cabins.

Extension cords at the bottom.
http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...hibited-items/
A power strip isn't an extension cord unless the the cord itself is over 6 feet. Most power strips have a built in circuit breaker and shouldn't pose a problem with the ships electrical system. Not to get to technical but the problem with extension cords are the length , wire gauge (thickness) and the load that is plugged into the extension cord. To big of a load attached to a thin extension cord can rapidly overheat and cause a fire. We have never had a problem in 13 cruises on DCL with power strips.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Callymum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by insureman View Post
A power strip isn't an extension cord unless the the cord itself is over 6 feet. Most power strips have a built in circuit breaker and shouldn't pose a problem with the ships electrical system. Not to get to technical but the problem with extension cords are the length , wire gauge (thickness) and the load that is plugged into the extension cord. To big of a load attached to a thin extension cord can rapidly overheat and cause a fire. We have never had a problem in 13 cruises on DCL with power strips.

Web definitions
A power strip (also known as an extension lead, power board and by many other variations) is a strip of sockets that attaches to the end...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_strip

Well! a power strip with a wire extension attached at any length, that's what I class as an extension cord. Anything that plugs into a wall plug and extends the plug position and lengthens extra plug space or plug qty. I didn't see Disney stating a length on the Prohibited site. It does state "these, and Similar items will be confiscated" Maybe you have been lucky. Or maybe the Fire on the other cruise ship has made them more vigilant.

Last edited by Callymum; 06-05-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Callymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

On the classic ships, a power strip is a necessity. We carry and use one every trip. It is a small one, three outlets plus one USB, only has about an 8 inch cord. It has never been touched by the cabin steward or by the luggage scanners on the new ships or the classic ships.

Simply put never had a problem. I plug the wave phone charger into one outlet, a high power USB charger w/ 4 four ports into another outlet and leave the last for my wife's laptop or camera battery chargers.

I believe that Disney will provide an extension cord for CPAP machines. I don't use one, but our Cabin Steward got rooms confused and tried to bring us one.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Goofy559
Cruise Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post
On the classic ships, a power strip is a necessity. We carry and use one every trip. It is a small one, three outlets plus one USB, only has about an 8 inch cord. It has never been touched by the cabin steward or by the luggage scanners on the new ships or the classic ships.

Simply put never had a problem. I plug the wave phone charger into one outlet, a high power USB charger w/ 4 four ports into another outlet and leave the last for my wife's laptop or camera battery chargers.

I believe that Disney will provide an extension cord for CPAP machines. I don't use one, but our Cabin Steward got rooms confused and tried to bring us one.
Dreams Unlimited provides a short extension cord in their gift baskets.... I can't imagine they would be doing this if it was not allowed - DCL would have said something by now! Plus, wouldn't they have had to work with DCL to clear the contents?

Disney Cast Member 1985 (Canadian Pavillion at Epcot) and 20+ Disney World visits
MV Britnannis 1982 no stabilizers!, MV Bolero -- Transatlantic -- 1991 and A bunch of others with my dad , Carnival 3-night Bahamas 2004, Disney Magic W Carib 2005, 2007, 2009, Med 2010, Sun Princess S Carib 2006, Adventure of the Seas S Carib 2008, Coral Princess Alaska 2008, Wonder 3-day bounceback 2009, Diamond Princess 16 night SE Asia Mar 2010, Disney Dream MV - Jan 2011, Allure of the Seas - Mar 2011, Disney Dream June 2011, Disney Fantasy MV - Mar 2012, Magic to Canada -Aug 2012, Wonder - California Oct 2012, Fantasy to San Juan - Mar 2013, Royal Princess MV - 21 days in Europe

[
Goofy559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I bring one but it is too short to be called an extension cord. It's for extra outlets only. Never had it confiscated. It only has three outlets.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I bring one but it is too short to be called an extension cord. It's for extra outlets only. Never had it confiscated. It only has three outlets.
This is what we use. It has 3 outlets and 2 usb ports. The plug rotates to accommodate the outlet that you use it in.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
WDWMaggie
Earning My Ears

I just had mine taken away in Galveston, Texas when I was boarding the Magic.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
This is what we use. It has 3 outlets and 2 usb ports. The plug rotates to accommodate the outlet that you use it in.

Can you provide a link to this item? Not sure what it is called, but this would be perfect for us.

I definitely needed a extender on the Magic, but never needed one on the Dream or Fantasy. I assume I will need one on the Wonder.

Thanks!
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWMaggie View Post
I just had mine taken away in Galveston, Texas when I was boarding the Magic.
Was it an extension cord (just a length of wire making the outlets be in a different place)? Or an power strip (with surge protector)?

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 06-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmbar View Post
Can you provide a link to this item? Not sure what it is called, but this would be perfect for us.

I definitely needed a extender on the Magic, but never needed one on the Dream or Fantasy. I assume I will need one on the Wonder.

Thanks!
It's a Belkin 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (1 AMP / 5 Watt) by Belkin.

I got mine at WalMart. But they're pretty much available most places (Target, Amazon, Best Buy). I think it cost about $10.00, but that was about 4 years ago.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdefouw View Post

I believe that Disney will provide an extension cord for CPAP machines
. I don't use one, but our Cabin Steward got rooms confused and tried to bring us one.
Yes, they will. My dad uses one. They use wide duct tape to secure it to the floor also so it's not a trip hazard.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callymum View Post
Web definitions
A power strip (also known as an extension lead, power board and by many other variations) is a strip of sockets that attaches to the end...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_strip

Well! a power strip with a wire extension attached at any length, that's what I class as an extension cord. Anything that plugs into a wall plug and extends the plug position and lengthens extra plug space or plug qty. I didn't see Disney stating a length on the Prohibited site. It does state "these, and Similar items will be confiscated" Maybe you have been lucky. Or maybe the Fire on the other cruise ship has made them more vigilant.
Not to start an argument, just trying to be more precise .
National Electrical Code (NEC),

Extension Cords:

For the purposes of this discussion, extension cord is defined as an electrical apparatus consisting of a flexible cord of a type listed in Table 400-4 of the National Electrical Code (NEC), 1999 edition, with an attachment plug at one end and one or more receptacles at the other, with no overcurrent mechanism, ground fault circuit interrupter, or similar device incorporated into its design

Power Strips

For the purpose of this discussion, power strip shall mean an electrical apparatus consisting of a strip containing one or more receptacles protected by a circuit breaker or fuse incorporated into its design, and powered by a flexible cord of a type listed in Table 400-4 of the NEC-1999.

Many of the power strips are have the circuit breaker built into the on/off switch.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Was it an extension cord (just a length of wire making the outlets be in a different place)? Or an power strip (with surge protector)?
Yes, please answer this. I would love to know more.

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: