Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
MinnieJay
Mouseketeer

And another: if you get a speeding ticket on Disney property and somehow it gets back to your leaders, you get a reprimand. And too many reprimands of course leads to termination.

So don't speed
Old 03-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
eadavis
Mickey is my Homeboy

Quote:
And another: if you get a speeding ticket on Disney property and somehow it gets back to your leaders, you get a reprimand. And too many reprimands of course leads to termination.

So don't speed
Thats only if you're driving a company vehicle while on the clock because its a safety issue. You can't get a reprimand if you're on your own time. If you could get a reprimand for speeding on property on your own time, the Unions would throw a fit...

If you get reprimanded for speeding, grieve it...
eadavis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
SkyinNeverland
Second Star to the Right and Straight on till Morning

Thanks for all the responses! If I get in *fingers crossed* I do not want to do anything to compromise it!
and fantasy
SkyinNeverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #19
Foxxie52
Mouseketeer

I knew someone who got termed for pissing up the side of a building at DTD. No idea why he would do that as the loos are right there. Idiot!

Also know of a number of people who would go out for the night drinking (when underage) and then post it on Facebook! They always seemed to get termed and it makes me wonder if there is someone higher up who is paid to check FB pages!

I got really paranoid towards the end of my contract as people seemed to be termed for really minor things. However, there were ten in my arrival group and by the end of the year there were still ten! We were the only group to make it through without losing anyone! The group before us had seven and the start and one that finished!

Me(30), DH(38), Jessica, Sunrise, Sunset
October 1995, June 1999, October 2001, Disney Cruise Line Cast Member (2006-2008), CM - Rose and Crown (2008-2009), Babymoon April 2013, next planned trip? 2021!
Foxxie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
HyperionDreamer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan2322 View Post
Here are some funny ones:

*2 Chinese ICP´s got termed for "hunting" a duck from the commons lake

*For taking pictures of the backstage MK cafeteria and posting them on Facebook with the tag: "cheap character breakfast" (I hope you get this one!!)

*For trying on belle´s gown (really obsessed girl in my opinion)

It is actually very easy to get termed, Disney is very strict in its policies.

You can get termed for being in backstage areas while not working. Specially in AK.

If you receive a personal guest complaint could be reason for termination.

Several violations of the Disney look policies.

It was once rumored that you could get termed in the MK for walking onstage with a costume not appropriate for your land (but I have never know anyone who got termed for that)

And as for characters........they can get termed for very simple reasons that violate character integrity that I can´t post here.
Yikes. I did this one all the time. I always had my ID lanyard on but it sounds like I was lucky.

I knew A LOT people that got termed, although most were probably for underage drinking. Others were for too many call-ins, and another big one at my work place was having a cell phone out at safety critical positions like dispatch and video monitor. Be careful with that last one; it's so tempting to look away from your console for a second to answer the text that just went off in your pocket (often in a small room you have to yourself), but if your coordinator walks in, you're screwed.

I too became a little paranoid toward the end of my program, for several of my coworkers were fired in the last two weeks for excessive pranking. One of my attraction coworkers noted that I was the first person of my arrival date to successfully go home from his last shift still employed. Scary.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #21
Hollsey
Finding my laughing place!

One of my old roommates got terminated because she accepted a gift from a Guest (money I guess? She worked QSF&B so that can be my only guess). So don't do that. (I was always so paranoid about that, too, but Guests understand when you say, "No thanks!")

The two people that I know personally got termed at my location, but they couldn't reveal why. It had something to do with them both being cashiers at the same time, and a Guest's story didn't match theirs, and our managers basically said that it would look better if they self-termed rather than if they were terminated by the company. It was so secretive that neither of the two would tell us, and we all trusted each other pretty well. Both of them really wanted to at least extend their programs and/or move to Florida permanently and they couldn't, so be really careful when you're working!
Summer, 1996 ~ All Star Music Resort // Summer 1999 ~ All Star Sports Resort // June 2003 ~ All Star Movies Resort // July 2007 ~ Coronado Springs Resort // June 2010 - January 2011 ~ CP at All Star Music Resort's Intermission Food Court // August 2011 ~ Coronado Springs Resort // December 2011 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge

What happens when a Creative Writing nerd starts a Disney College Program Blog
Hollsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
MinnieJay
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eadavis View Post
Thats only if you're driving a company vehicle while on the clock because its a safety issue. You can't get a reprimand if you're on your own time. If you could get a reprimand for speeding on property on your own time, the Unions would throw a fit...

If you get reprimanded for speeding, grieve it...
If the above is true...my manager lied to me! lol I got a ticket off property and was pretty shaken up about it when I came into work (my first ticket ever) and she went on this huge rant about how if it would had happened on property and they saw I was a cast member I would get a reprimand and all other kind of stuff. She told all the CPs that matter of fact.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #23
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

I saw people get termed for being rude to guests, drinking underage, Grad Night schenaigans.

The one that took the cake was an attractions person who was working halloween party eating the candy in view of the guests.

I survived two college programs with a rehire status, so it can be done.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #24
mfoster45
Earning My Ears

Stay Calm and Be Responsible

I hope that people understand that although its called The College Program, it's not University of Florida, it is employment. Disney has an extremely high standard to uphold and they're not going to deal with silly shanagains from people who think this is a party city. Be smart and you won't get terminated. If you're underage, I'm sorry, DON'T DRINK! Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to drink once you're 21. It is a Company, they are trying to please their guests, stockholders, and employees all at the same time. This program is not about getting wasted and doing stupid things. If you want to do that then stay at your college. I'm doing the program to enjoy Disney Property, work, and pass on the memories that CMs gave me when I was a child. Stay Calm and BE RESPONSIBLE!

CP Fall 2013
mfoster45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
surferdude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoster45 View Post
I hope that people understand that although its called The College Program, it's not University of Florida, it is employment. Disney has an extremely high standard to uphold and they're not going to deal with silly shanagains from people who think this is a party city. Be smart and you won't get terminated. If you're underage, I'm sorry, DON'T DRINK! Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to drink once you're 21. It is a Company, they are trying to please their guests, stockholders, and employees all at the same time. This program is not about getting wasted and doing stupid things. If you want to do that then stay at your college. I'm doing the program to enjoy Disney Property, work, and pass on the memories that CMs gave me when I was a child. Stay Calm and BE RESPONSIBLE!

CP Fall 2013
+1 for that! I have been reading incase there were things I wouldnt have thought of, but most of the problems seem to come from drinking and partying (while I enjoy the occasional drink, I am not really a party-er). Although it is fun to read these posts
surferdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #26
HyperionDreamer
Mouseketeer

Here's another BIG one - do not, under any circumstances, call in from work so you can go the CP formal. Trade shifts, beg, do whatever you have to do genuinely have the day off, but don't call in. When you walk into the ballroom, they check your ID on handheld computers and whether you called in that day or not will pop up immediately, and yes, you will be termed on the spot if you called in. Everyone at work the day after formal was talking about which of their roommates were fired.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #27
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionDreamer View Post
Here's another BIG one - do not, under any circumstances, call in from work so you can go the CP formal. Trade shifts, beg, do whatever you have to do genuinely have the day off, but don't call in. When you walk into the ballroom, they check your ID on handheld computers and whether you called in that day or not will pop up immediately, and yes, you will be termed on the spot if you called in. Everyone at work the day after formal was talking about which of their roommates were fired.
And, if, for some reason, you DO call in to go to the formal ... don't get drunk and go skinny dipping in the pool at Coronado and then argue with the Security officer who kicks you out. Because if you somehow didn't get termed for calling in to go to the formal, you will surely get termed for that.

Don't fall asleep while on the clock and on-stage.

Don't steal. Even one french fry is grounds for termination.

Don't call in 32 times in a month and a half. (the only reason this person was even around for that long is that you have to show up for them to fire you)

Don't leave work in the middle of your shift. (Note: if you get an approved ER from your leadership, that's fine ... but leaving early without permission is a no-no)

Don't wreck company vehicles.

No matter how much the guest has annoyed you, don't throw their stroller in the Rivers of America.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM   #28
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebee View Post
I am not advocating underage drinking just for the sake of getting drunk, but we have allowed DD19 to have a small glass of wine with us at home at dinner or on special occasions. Last time we were in Epcot, she and I shared one of those lovely grand mariner/vodka orange slushies in France. If she were visiting the parks with me on her day off and was seen sharing my beverage, could she get termed? We probably wouldn't take the chance, as it technically IS underage drinking on property, but would they really terminate her for tasting my drink?

Can't wait to go to Food &Wine with her once she is 21 (fall 2014)!
Yes, she can get termed, as can the poor CM who sold you the drink and you and Disney could both, theoretically, be in legal trouble. "Just a sip" and "I'm her mother" do not negate "The drinking age is 21." What you do at home is your business. What you do at home is your business. What you do with someone else's liquor license is a whole different matter.

When you buy a drink and share it with your child, the person who sold you the drink can be held liable for serving a minor. It might not be worth doing that.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #29
emcclay
Mouseketeer

My $.02 - You're either made for the DCP, or not. Why go into this and try to jeopardize your role? This is a Fortune 500 company that thousands of people want to work for. If you're willing to go against the rules, have that drink while being under 21, etc.. then I would recommend waiting to participate until you are over 21 and have a level-head on your shoulders.

In about a week, I will be checking in to my program. At first, I offered to room with a classmate of mine who also got in. She is under 21 and after the horror stories of whole apartments being termed for alcohol use, I told her straight up that I would not be taking that chance. This opportunity means more to me than most people know and I would not forgive myself for being termed!

December 2003 - ASMu January 2008 - Wyndham BC October 2011 - CSR March 2012 - CSR January 2014 - BC
emcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #30
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
Yes, she can get termed, as can the poor CM who sold you the drink and you and Disney could both, theoretically, be in legal trouble. "Just a sip" and "I'm her mother" do not negate "The drinking age is 21." What you do at home is your business. What you do at home is your business. What you do with someone else's liquor license is a whole different matter.

When you buy a drink and share it with your child, the person who sold you the drink can be held liable for serving a minor. It might not be worth doing that.
Ummm... I know that, I know the laws in MA, I was a bartender there for 20 years. I also know that the liquor laws vary from state to state, and actually, what you do in your own home regarding alcohol is NOT your own business, in some states. Mostly I was just interested in determining how much Disney "owns" their CPs while on property, even on their own, personal time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: