Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Question Hints or Tips to either illuminate my soul or burn it to ash

Will be traveling with Significant Other (SO - sounds better than Traveling Companion - TC, but less formal than BoyFriend - BF) the end of July and first of August. Which also happens to be our 2 year anniversary of when we met.

I don't know exactly what would be the perfect result, especially since we live in the retro-conservative religious-right wing-nut land , but I would like to mark the occasion as an acknowledgement that we intend to remain together as the laws at home allow - I'm thinking something more than just a promise, but probably less than a full commitment. I know it is really too late for something elaborate (like a DFTW), but I'm having problems finding information on ANYTHING and am completely open to suggestions.

My very rough thoughts were to get pictures of the proposal (but where? ), followed by a nice romantic lunch / dinner (again, where?) with a celebration cake of some sort (finally again, where do I try to order this?)

We love all 4 parks, (my fault, I took him there for our 1 year anniversary and created a Disney phreak! but neither of us are really familiar enough with the parks to try to pinpoint the best places. And, I'd like to keep this a surprise from him as long as possible.... )

Any suggestions, links, guidance, or other information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ETA ps I'm fairly sure he'll say yes, but I won't actually know until I ask.
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake , Spring Break '15 DisneyLand Grand Californian

Last edited by dayvewc; 03-26-2013 at 12:39 AM. Reason: additional information
dayvewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
deakam
DIS Veteran

pictures-----photopass photographer on the walkway between the castle and tomorrowland. There is a lovely spot with the castle in the background. We do photos there every year. It is beautiful day or night.

Romantic dinner----Be our Guest-----we had dinner there in February. We were in the Rose room. It is smaller,quieter, more private and very romantic. There are tables along the wall that feel secluded. Make sure you let the server know you are celebrating. It seems that everyone wants to be seated in the ballroom....it is beautiful but noisy....I would ask for the Rose room.
deakam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

If you wanted photos, most of the Deluxe resorts have photography sessions by the hour. The photographer will have some good ideas of places around the resort. Getting all snazzied up and having pictures taken, to me, is above the promise line but short of planning an elaborate ceremony and reception.

A nice romantic dinner at California Grill (might be closed for refurb), Narcossi's, Citrico's, O'hana, Jiko--whatever your tastes may be is always a winner. Make a notation on your reservation that you are celebrating your anniversary and politely remind the host/ess when you check in. If you wanted a special cake, you can contact Disney and order something special for the two of you. (Or I recommend a dessert of the restaurant you are dining at.)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
DrGaellon
Disney Fan - Westgate Owner

If you're looking for a massive special-event splurge, Victoria & Albert's is always a meal to remember for a lifetime. I gave my BF his ring in our room just before we left for the restaurant - the dinner had been long-planned, but the ring was a surprise. (I knew he would be uncomfortable if I asked in the restaurant, so I did it at the resort before we left.)
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakam View Post
Romantic dinner----Be our Guest-----we had dinner there in February. We were in the Rose room. It is smaller,quieter, more private and very romantic. There are tables along the wall that feel secluded. Make sure you let the server know you are celebrating. It seems that everyone wants to be seated in the ballroom....it is beautiful but noisy....I would ask for the Rose room.
Any recommendation for romantic dinner in Epcot? Pretty sure that is where we will be on "the day" - based on the undercover tourist crowd map.

Thanks.
July '09 and New Years Eve '09 offsite . Spring Break '11 Orange Lake , August '12 WorldGate , July '13 Orange Lake , Halloween '13 Saratoga Springs , Spring Break '14 Orange Lake , July '14 Silver Lake , Spring Break '15 DisneyLand Grand Californian

Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #6
LaRosaLoca
Earning My Ears

I'm a big fan of Le Cellier, but it may not be quiet enough for what you are planning.

You could always have a custom cake done (look for "cake chatter" thread on the planning forums). And I have been successful in the past just letting everyone at Disney know I'm celebrating something special (like our anniversary). They are always happy to accommodate me.

(Mama- age 36) (Papa - age 35) (DS-age 17) : (DS- age 11)
LaRosaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
jeanigor

Top of the "list" (now, which list is it?)
Don't pee on the parquet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayvewc View Post
Any recommendation for romantic dinner in Epcot? Pretty sure that is where we will be on "the day" - based on the undercover tourist crowd map.

Thanks.
Places that I would not consider to be romantic for a table service meal at Epcot: Garden Grill, Via Napoli, Restaurant Akershus, Biergarten, Tepan Edo. Maybe Nine Dragons.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Well, got the reservations made for Chefs de France. Tomorrow gotta call cake decorators to see about a celebratory cake.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

Sorry to put in my 2 cents here...I know you have the dinner ADR, but have you considered an Illuminations Cruise? One leaves from the YC right on the other side of International Gateway near France in WS. They are costly, but well worth it for something very special.

My husband took me on one to celebrate our anniversary...you can order (at extra cost of course) a cake or most any other type of food or beverage up to and includng full dinner. DH ordered chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. You can also have a celebratory banner and balloons included.

We got the boat from YC...took a nice ride up to DHS then back to EPCOT where the capatian parked the boat to watch Illuinations - best view ever! It was a wonderful evening. And you do have private time (only other person there is the captain) to make your proposal. And I'm sure the captain will be more than happy to take some pictures for you with your camera. And after Illuinations you are brought back to YC - we asked Captain to let us off a BW as we were staying there - a nice place to continue you celebration with JellyRolls - or just strolling the BW area.

Again, it's pricey - I believe the cruise itself is over $300 and then the additional costs for banner / food (banner & balloons I believe is $25). but again, it's a very special way to mark a very special occasion.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
dayvewc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendybird55 View Post
Sorry to put in my 2 cents here...I know you have the dinner ADR, but have you considered an Illuminations Cruise? One leaves from the YC right on the other side of International Gateway near France in WS. They are costly, but well worth it for something very special.

My husband took me on one to celebrate our anniversary...you can order (at extra cost of course) a cake or most any other type of food or beverage up to and includng full dinner. DH ordered chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. You can also have a celebratory banner and balloons included.

We got the boat from YC...took a nice ride up to DHS then back to EPCOT where the capatian parked the boat to watch Illuinations - best view ever! It was a wonderful evening. And you do have private time (only other person there is the captain) to make your proposal. And I'm sure the captain will be more than happy to take some pictures for you with your camera. And after Illuinations you are brought back to YC - we asked Captain to let us off a BW as we were staying there - a nice place to continue you celebration with JellyRolls - or just strolling the BW area.

Again, it's pricey - I believe the cruise itself is over $300 and then the additional costs for banner / food (banner & balloons I believe is $25). but again, it's a very special way to mark a very special occasion.
I welcome your 2 cents. That sounds like a great idea. Do you remember or know who to contact about reserving the cruise? And do you know if it will make a difference if we are staying off-site? (Can't imagine it would, but you never know sometimes).

Old 03-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #11
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

I believe I contacted Disney Recreaction (407-939-7529) ..I also believe a CM from Disney dining reservations can help you or transfer you to the right place. You can ask about balloons/ banner with the person you book the cruise with.

There is a seperate in-room dining # you have to call if you want to add cake or champagne or whatever food - that # is 407-934-3105.

There is also a cake hotline if you want to order a special cake for a special occasion fro restaurant that # is 407-827-2253.

As far as I know you don't have to stay on property to book an Illuminations Cruise...Disney will be happy to take your $ no matter where you stay.

The only caveat is weather...if the weather is bad (rainy or windy) they may cancel the cruise. I had one booked as part of a week long Disney birthday celebration for DH (it a a big one!) and unfortunately they had to cancel due to windy / rainy weather. I tried, but was unable to re-book for another night during that trip as the nights we had available were already booked up. But it didn't ruin the trip as I had other surprises planned.

They also have Wishes cruise for MK fireworks...I prefer Illuminations because it's up close and personal to fireworks...we saw Wishes from Priates and Pals cruise (took son) and for me it lost some if it's magic so far away...I prefer seeing the castle and being in the park to watch Wishes...but I see many on these boards who also like the Wishes cruise.

Good luck with your plans...I think it's so much fun to plan something special for someone you love while at Disney...no matter what you do I'm sure it will be wonderful.
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: