Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
marybogue
Mouseketeer

My ADR's with a 6 and 5 year old - too many TS?

So, I was reading another thread that got me thinking (don't you just hate it when that happens?!), are too many TS with small children a bad thing? I grew up going to WDW, and my last visit was before I was a mom in 2002. My mom and I are taking my children, and we chose to do mostly TS for dinner because we plan on doing the parks until 2pm, taking a rest, and enjoying dinner. We are on the DDP. I know my kids, and they are used to dining with adults, and being in busy restaurants. Do I have too many TS? And what is the average time spent at one TS? THANKS!

Sunday (arrival day) - 6:05pm @ 1900 Park Fare

Monday - 7:25am @ Chef Mickey's
6:50pm @ Liberty Tree Tavern

Tuesday - 1:00pm @ The Plaza
6:55pm @ The Wave

Wednesday - 8:35am @ Crystal Palace
7:00pm @ Kona Cafe

Thursday - 7:00pm @ Via Napoli

Friday - 7:55pm @ OHana

Saturday - 10:05am @ CRT
Dinner at DTD?

Sunday - Depart

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

I think you have a great plan! Have fun!!!!

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

We have always had a TS meal for dinner each night. My girls have always done great with them and look forward to eating at the various restaurants. We usually hit the parks pretty hard all day (in the summer no less), so it's a nice way to end the day. We then head back to the resort for a swim before bed.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #4
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

I love TS and we do it with two littles. So I think your schedule is fine. I usually space ours out during the day and do a TS breakfast and TS dinner. We kind of wing it for the rest of the day. But it works great for us. Depends on where you're at, whether its buffet or actual menu ordering on how long it can be, but anywhere around an hour is typical up to an hour and a half if you feel like dragging it out.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
amym2
DIS Veteran

So you'll be there 7 nights? Looks like you have 10 credits worth, so you'll be paying OOP for 3 meals?

Yes, for my kids that would be too much. They are used to dining with adults, too, but at WDW they want to spend their time on rides not in restaurants. We never do more than one TS meal per day.

Are you going to MK 4 of your 6 days? You have lots of MK and monorail resort ADRs (all except Via Napoli). I suppose if you'll have that many days in MK then using time for ADRs won't be as much of an issue.

I'd plan on 1 1/2 hrs per TS, although that will vary depending on whether characters are involved. So on days when you have 2 TS planned that's 3 hours. If the park is open 9-9, take out those hours plus the likely 3 hours for a mid-day break, and that leaves 6 hours for rides/shows.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
marybogue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amym2 View Post
So you'll be there 7 nights? Looks like you have 10 credits worth, so you'll be paying OOP for 3 meals?

Yes, for my kids that would be too much. They are used to dining with adults, too, but at WDW they want to spend their time on rides not in restaurants. We never do more than one TS meal per day.

Are you going to MK 4 of your 6 days? You have lots of MK and monorail resort ADRs (all except Via Napoli). I suppose if you'll have that many days in MK then using time for ADRs won't be as much of an issue.

I'd plan on 1 1/2 hrs per TS, although that will vary depending on whether characters are involved. So on days when you have 2 TS planned that's 3 hours. If the park is open 9-9, take out those hours plus the likely 3 hours for a mid-day break, and that leaves 6 hours for rides/shows.
Yes, we are there 7 nights, and will end up paying OOP for a few meals. We are staying at the Contemporary, and our MK time is - Monday after 4pm, all day Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday.

Thank you for yours, and other's input!! It really helps to read other's perspectives, and to better understand how much time will be spent on dining.

80's & 90's - Poly and Grand Floridian
October 2002 - Bay Hill
May 2013 - The Contemporary
January 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Old Key West
marybogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I don't think you have too many TS planned, but I do think you may want to rethink leaving in the afternoon. Depending on when you are going , and how far your resort maybe from the parks it may sound like a better plan in theory than in practice. Even if you are staying close to MK, it can still be 30 minutes+ to go from the park to your resort. While we were there, MK was much more crowded than expected. Maybe because I have 6 kids, I don't think of 5 & 6 as little kids, since I think of my 2 & 4 year olds as little kids LOL.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Very few of our ADRs have ever taken an hour and a half. We've had a few last just over an hour but just a few.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
lisatav
Mouseketeer

I think you have a great plan since you plan on spending a lot of time at MK and are staying at The Contemporary! You won't be wasting too much time traveling to CR so I think the afternoon break is great!
Next Trip: January 2015- Port Orleans- French Quarter
lisatav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #10
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

It could be too many. You can start with 2 ts perday. If its too mant, cut down to 1 per day.... You can always cancel the extra ressies
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You can always cancel the extra ressies
The problem with cancelling is that you wouldn't get the full value of the dining plan. I saw your comment about paying OOP for a couple of the meals...you may want to pay OOP for the ones at the end of the trip. That way you can be sure to use up all your credits on the dining plan.

Our first time doing TS meals, we were surprised at how long they took. Most of ours took about 1 1/4 to 1/2 hours. This past trip they were only about an hour. Maybe it depends on the restaurant.
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
momofboyz3
DIS Veteran

I think your plan is great! Mind you I'm going on my first trip w/kids so I am far from a "pro", was a CM a lonnnng time ago). Your ADRs are not close together so I think it will be fine. In fact if I end up having a bit more money I might consider adding a2cnd ADR to our MK day as well! Have fun!
momofboyz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

I agree that your plan looks fine (including the afternoon breaks - we love them!). We have always done at least one TS a day, and often have two.

I think the opinions on too few or too many are very subjective, as what is important for one family may not work for another. Our family eats dinner together every night of the week - regardless of the hectic crazy schedules. There are nights we are sitting down at 8:00 pm for dinner, but that's how we do it (I call those our European nights ). So for us to sit for an hour or more each night in Disney and some mornings/afternoons as well, feels natural and we enjoy the break, the conversation, the atmosphere. It is not a waste of time for us, as we carefully choose our ADRs and consider them part of the experience. I can be just as happy absorbing the atmosphere in a restaurant as I am on a ride or in a show. To us, it's all Disney and it's all part of the overall experience.

That said, you know your kids and your priorities, and you need to plan your vacation to accomodate your family and not someone else's.

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
So, I was reading another thread that got me thinking (don't you just hate it when that happens?!), are too many TS with small children a bad thing? I grew up going to WDW, and my last visit was before I was a mom in 2002. My mom and I are taking my children, and we chose to do mostly TS for dinner because we plan on doing the parks until 2pm, taking a rest, and enjoying dinner. We are on the DDP. I know my kids, and they are used to dining with adults, and being in busy restaurants. Do I have too many TS? And what is the average time spent at one TS? THANKS!

Sunday (arrival day) - 6:05pm @ 1900 Park Fare

Monday - 7:25am @ Chef Mickey's
6:50pm @ Liberty Tree Tavern

Tuesday - 1:00pm @ The Plaza
6:55pm @ The Wave

Wednesday - 8:35am @ Crystal Palace
7:00pm @ Kona Cafe

Thursday - 7:00pm @ Via Napoli

Friday - 7:55pm @ OHana

Saturday - 10:05am @ CRT
Dinner at DTD?

Sunday - Depart
I think that your timming is great, the best part of Character meals, is that you can get pic's and autographs, during the meal, and not have to stand in every characer line in the heat.

The only other suggestion would be did you look at the menu at the Wave, for my kiddo's at younger age would not have eaten anything, maybe Tony's or GFC for that meal.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #15
shelbyf31
Mouseketeer

Great plan! We have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and we do TS for breakfast and dinner. It is a nice break in the evening.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: