Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
WDWJonasGirl
Mouseketeer/Directioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgreat View Post
From what I've read, it seems like there are more organized activities in Edge and more free time in Vibe. Is that correct?

Also, on the Alaska cruises, do they have a naturalist give talks to the kids or have other types of activities related to the natural sites that the kids are seeing on the cruise?

Can kids attend the talks that are given by the naturalist on board or are these talks restricted to adults?
That is correct. I went in 2011. However, there were some activities during the time I went on my Alaska Cruise. For the naturalist, I don't remember going (I was 16 at the time).

It'll depend on your daughter. If she's not in high school yet, I would reccomend Edge. Talk to the counselors first.

Kaitlin: Directioner and a Huge Jonas Fan
WDW: 5/03, 4/06, 12/06, 7/09, 8/10, 6 & 7/14 DLR: Too Many too count DCL: 1/07, 7/09, 8/11, 8/12, 6/14 DLP: 6/13

WDWJonasGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
kellyferg
Earning My Ears

They gave our 12 year old a wrist-band to wear only if she decided she wanted to go with her 9 year old brother to the Lab - she decided to stick with the Edge, but it was nice to have both options.
kellyferg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #18
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Last August on the Dream, DS then 11 started at lab. But on day 2 he wanted to go to edge. It was a 5n so he had extra time. He kept the wristband until the last night in case he wanted to go back to lab, but never did. He did not need to take it out to go to edge.

This last February on the wonder, now 12, he went straight to edge. He was given a paper wristband to wear. But there were other kids his age with bothe wristbands on. Note that this was during KSF around presidents weekend and the ship was full of kids. They said over 1100.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #19
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

On the Wonder, my boys preferred the Vibe over the Edge (they were 13 and 14 (turned 15 on the cruise) at the time). The counselors let the younger one go to the Vibe so they could hang together but they did ask him to check out the Edge first. They have a list of all the kids onboard by age so after he checked out the Edge and decided he'd rather spend time in Vibe with his brother, the CM marked him as a Viber.

I will say that on the Wonder, the Edge space is not nearly as cool as the Edge space is on the Magic (unless they've done something to it since June 2011). My boys both loved Ocean Quest space on the Magic (now Edge) and were disappointed to see how different it was on the Wonder - it's partly why our younger son chose the Vibe.

My boys enjoyed hanging out in the Vibe as there was plenty to do even if there weren't "organized" activities - there was always someone there to play cards, do puzzles, play video games (guitar hero, mario kart, etc.) - don't kid yourself if you think teenage boys aren't as interested in video games as tween boys are...

Plus there were "out and about" activities that they could participate in - not sure if they still have that program or not, but at that age they had it for 10 - 14 year olds so the boys would participate - they did ball games on the sports deck and even had a swim party after hours at the Mickey pool.

Anyway, since you'll be on the Wonder, I'd have her check out both spaces before deciding - and talk with the counselors. It's important to go to their "get acquainted" time on the first night - I know for the Vibe, that's when they 'vote' on their activities for the week.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
ppony
Artist in residence

My DS will be 14 on our next cruise and it's great he'll be able to try them both and see which one he prefers. As he is now, sometimes he prefers to hanging around youngest kids, sometimes not. It's a great option for that age group and they'll feel super special because of it.
I'm glad to read these experiences! Thanks everyone for sharing.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
BeeTeacher
Mouseketeer

The vibe had activities like the smoothie party, karakoe, and a whole schedule of other things. My daughter's favorite thing was working on the movie "zombiefied". They filmed a little all week and then screened the movie in the Buena Vista theatre the last night and it was hilarious.

They also had free time, where they could hang out. They had any time access to the teen sundeck which has a wading pool and a 2 jacuzzis.

Teens also have their own excursion called THE WILD SIDE which was kayaking, biking and snorkeling on CC.

My daughter loved the Vibe and her friend enjoyed it as well, and he was 13. Some of the teens were not as friendly with him, being younger, but that's teens...

1st Cruise 3 night DISNEY DREAM 2/2/12
Trip Report Our First Cruise
WDW: Too many times to count!

BeeTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: