Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #61
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
While there are regional differences in what folks serve on Thanksgiving, I have little doubt that turkey is pretty much served in every state, by at least one family. I was not trying to imply that nobody in the south eats turkey - or 'traditional foods' like thsoe wserved at LTT.

This is one of the those things where, "colonial" might equal Willliamsburg to you, because that is the 'colonial' you know. That's doesn't mean it's the only one. I quoted the actual Disney website, which says "New England," and I think probably all 13 of the the former colonies likely have their own version of Williamsburg- like places.

The food served at LTT is served in the south often. That doesn't mean it can't be served elsewhere. If it is, I hope it's better than what LTT serves. In many parts of the south you won't find anyone that cooks spicy food. While the food at LTT is a common sight on the dinner table, creole cuisine isn't . I'm just saying you can't equate creole/cajun to the cuisine of the south. That's only the preferred cuisine of part of the south. If they were to open a restaurant based on country cooking, what would they serve? The exact same food they serve at LTT. If they opened a restaurant based on NE, what would they serve? I'm guessing it wouldn't be the same. At least, that's not what I think of when I think of NE cuisine. For clarification, I said it's not what I think of. Maybe, I'm wrong & people in NE eat exactly like people from parts of the south. I never said the restaurant was based on Colonial Williamsburg either. I said that's what it reminds me of. With WDW, the theming is all about perception.

I'm not sure why this is apparently worth arguing over, but I can assure you that you are more likely to see Italian food served in much of the south than the type of cuisine Sassagoula Floatworks is based on.

ETA: ON 2nd thought, maybe their food is cooked NE style. Those same foods cooked country style by a decent cook would be much better than what LTT serves.
(")_(")

Last edited by tarheelmjfan; 03-31-2013 at 01:12 PM.
tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #62
Erikarate
married her prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelmjfan View Post
The food served at LTT is served in the south often. That doesn't mean it can't be served elsewhere. If it is, I hope it's better than what LTT serves. In many parts of the south you won't find anyone that cooks spicy food. While the food at LTT is a common sight on the dinner table, creole cuisine isn't . I'm just saying you can't equate creole/cajun to the cuisine of the south. That's only the preferred cuisine of part of the south. If they were to open a restaurant based on country cooking, what would they serve? The exact same food they serve at LTT. If they opened a restaurant based on NE, what would they serve? I'm guessing it wouldn't be the same. At least, that's not what I think of when I think of NE cuisine. For clarification, I said it's not what I think of. Maybe, I'm wrong & people in NE eat exactly like people from parts of the south. I never said the restaurant was based on Colonial Williamsburg either. I said that's what it reminds me of. With WDW, the theming is all about perception.

I'm not sure why this is apparently worth arguing over, but I can assure you that you are more likely to see Italian food served in much of the south than the type of cuisine Sassagoula Floatworks is based on.

ETA: ON 2nd thought, maybe their food is cooked NE style. Those same foods cooked country style by a decent cook would be much better than what LTT serves.
Even though this has gotten a little off-topic, as a real New Englander I thought I'd chime in (just for a second Moderators, lol). I think it is traditional NE food as it is often associated with the first Thanksgiving (the turkey, stuffing etc) which as we know was in Mass., but we don't really eat such rich foods except mostly on holidays. I think though that that type of meal has become an AMERICAN food because of the holiday tradition of it and that regions of the USA have put their own twist on it (i.e. most NE'ers don't eat collard greens, grits etc, IMO).

To tie this off topic back to my original post (lol)...I totally get what both of you are saying and it just goes to show that somehow, in the end, Disney did not do a good job theming and representing the cuisine that they set out to showcase. I mean, no one would question the say Mamma Melrose represents "Italian" or Chef de France "French" so maybe it is Disney that has created the confusion??

Clam Bakes ARE traditionally New England and honestly I feel that Disney does a disservice to ME as a self-respecting NE'er serving the quality of the shellfish they do at Cape May. I actually cringe when I think people from all over the country (and world) go there and think that is what good clams taste like, which I stated a little less forcefully in my OP .

Real, fresh, clams taste sweet, delicate, and a hint of the sea (in a good way)...I am sending you all right now a "virtual" fried whole belly clam from my favorite clam place http://www.jimmiesofsavinrock.com/jimmies/default.aspx ..squirt a little lemon juice on it (and fresh-made tartar if you'd like...) and pop it in your mouth..a little crunch, then some sweet...ahhh - there you go!!! C'mon Disney you can do it!!!
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #63
DEA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
But what is really trendy right now and a great way to eat is tapas-style. Plenty of à la carte little apps. It's a really nice break from the massive meat-potato entrées. Everybody around the table can share and taste plenty of food. We love this kind of dining.
I'm anxious to see what they do with the new restaurant in Morocco that is supposed to be a tapas-style place. Tehre's always the backup plan at other TS restaurants of just ordering a lot of appetizers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikarate View Post
I wish I could bring all our fellow DIS'ers and foodies to Connecticut/new England to taste what fried clams, clam chowder, and Lobster Rolls are suppose to taste like. I'm sure everyone feels like that about their regional cuisine!!!
DW (CT native) and I are big fans of Lenny and Joe's. Even though I am not a native New Englander, I was personally offended by the clam chowder at Cape May.

I would love to see an Ethiopian restaurant complete with injera bread and some authentic spices. I wouldn't want it to replace Tusker House, however. Or, really, any of the AKL restaurants.

DIS Dads Member #432
DEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #64
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikarate View Post
Even though this has gotten a little off-topic, as a real New Englander I thought I'd chime in (just for a second Moderators, lol). I think it is traditional NE food as it is often associated with the first Thanksgiving (the turkey, stuffing etc) which as we know was in Mass., but we don't really eat such rich foods except mostly on holidays. I think though that that type of meal has become an AMERICAN food because of the holiday tradition of it and that regions of the USA have put their own twist on it (i.e. most NE'ers don't eat collard greens, grits etc, IMO).

To tie this off topic back to my original post (lol)...I totally get what both of you are saying and it just goes to show that somehow, in the end, Disney did not do a good job theming and representing the cuisine that they set out to showcase. I mean, no one would question the say Mamma Melrose represents "Italian" or Chef de France "French" so maybe it is Disney that has created the confusion??

Clam Bakes ARE traditionally New England and honestly I feel that Disney does a disservice to ME as a self-respecting NE'er serving the quality of the shellfish they do at Cape May. I actually cringe when I think people from all over the country (and world) go there and think that is what good clams taste like, which I stated a little less forcefully in my OP .

Real, fresh, clams taste sweet, delicate, and a hint of the sea (in a good way)...I am sending you all right now a "virtual" fried whole belly clam from my favorite clam place http://www.jimmiesofsavinrock.com/jimmies/default.aspx ..squirt a little lemon juice on it (and fresh-made tartar if you'd like...) and pop it in your mouth..a little crunch, then some sweet...ahhh - there you go!!! C'mon Disney you can do it!!!

Though I kind of don't expect Disney to offer true representations of any other regional foods - except FL. Since Disney can't even get good FL oranges and key lime pie, I don't really expect them to get other regions correct! (Seriously, Disney?!?!?) But that's also part of the beauty of the modern USA - we still have regional foods.

There's an old rule, never order seafood more than 50miles inland (and expect to get anything fresh). And the old adage, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." I take that to mean food, and it goes both ways.

Where Disney has no excuse is foods that at least 75% of America does gets about right. Like coffee.

I'll add, the lobster rolls at CHH are surprisingly good - for FL. I've also found the foods offered at the BBC Food and Wine festival booth to be quite good. Overpriced, but good.

Come to think of it, what would be fun is if WDW offered more specialty items like tropical fruits- the kind that only grow in a climate like FL offers.

I don't think it's off topic to say that Disney tries to present an image of bringing guests different regional American foods- but actually sticks to offering foods that most Americans know. Does anyone think Disney's China REALLY offers what Chinese folks eat in China? What about having the European counntries of the WS serve fish the way Europeans serve it- with the head and tail? Most guests would be horrifed!
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #65
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post

Though I kind of don't expect Disney to offer true representations of any other regional foods - except FL. Since Disney can't even get good FL oranges and key lime pie, I don't really expect them to get other regions correct! (Seriously, Disney?!?!?)
I totally agree. There is so much locally that Disney can tap into, and yet they don't.
We have family just 2.5 hours south of Disney. Whenever we visit Disney and they come up to spend time with us, we always ask them to stop by their local citrus store and bring us a gallon of fresh squeezed oj. It is seriously some of the best oj I've ever had. Why can't Disney purchase from local businesses like that? They'd be helping the local FL economy and offering better quality food to their guests. And the coast is only 1 hour away (Gulf or Atlantic) so why can't they offer better fish selections?
I hate to say it, but when I lived in Orlando for two years I found the food in the Orlando area to be better than the food served at Disney. There are some fantastic restaurants in Orlando and Disney could really learn a few things from them.
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #66
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

Wow, I feel like I've really missed my opportunity to experience "good" Disney food before it apparently went down hill. I have been to the world many times, but have only tried a few TS restaurants. My family always stayed off-property, so usually we only had a quick lunch and/or dinner in the parks (and I feel like it's always Cosmic Rays!)

Since I haven't tried a lot of food in Disney, I can't really say what I'd like to see improved or added. The one thing I do know is that I would HATE to see more Asian food. I am just not a fan of this type of food and I feel like so many restaurants are starting to move towards Asian fusion. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the Chinese & Japanese restaurants in the World Showcase and the African/Asian inspired restaurants in AK. I just wish they would stay there.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #67
nansmama
DIS Veteran

They need more healthy whole food options, and fewer "meat on a bun with fries" meals. Even my "eats anything" teenage son starts getting annoyed after a few days from seeing the umpteenth menu consisting of chicken fingers, hamburgers, some drippy faux "regional" sandwich, and slab-of-meat with overcooked veggie side.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: