Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #31
The Rovang Gang
Mouseketeer

I agree with Mickey Luv'r that the easiest way to get my kids to eat healthy is the fresh fruit route. It seems we (my family) really overdo it on the calories during our vacation, and every once in a while just a nice fruit and yogurt/granola should suffice.

I think overall Disney does a great job trying to please as many people as possible. (You'll never get them all, right?) Since I don't know what true authentic British or Thai cuisine tastes like, what Disney offers is good enough for me. Course I'll eat just about anything that I don't have to make...
Lexi (9)- Belle
Savannah (7)- Jesse
Madeline (5)- Tinkerbell
The Rovang Gang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #32
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
There is quite a bit I would like to see added or changed when it comes to food at WDW. However, the one thing I would like to see the most is a buffet that serves breakfast all day. I love breakfast food but I really don't like to eat in the mornings. I am a HUGE fan of "Brinner". I would love to see one of these character dinners, which are all pretty awful food-wise, scrap their dinner menu and just serve their breakfast menu all day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
But what is really trendy right now and a great way to eat is tapas-style. Plenty of à la carte little apps. It's a really nice break from the massive meat-potato entrées. Everybody around the table can share and taste plenty of food. We love this kind of dining.
As far as additions, these are my frontrunners, too. I love breakfast foods, but my stomach can't handle anything heavy before noon.

And isn't the rumored lagoon-side Moroccan restaurant going to serve tapas? I think I read that somewhere, maybe on Disney Food Blog?

I agree with most, though, that Disney should focus on quality first and foremost.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #33
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

They need to do a MASSIVE overhaul at Tonys. That place is horrid.

Chef Mickeys also needs to shake things up a bit food-wise.

I agree about disney needing decent CS pizza. The "disney" pizza is so gross. A thinner crust pizza would be awesome. NY stlye is a good idea.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #34
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain
There is quite a bit I would like to see added or changed when it comes to food at WDW. However, the one thing I would like to see the most is a buffet that serves breakfast all day. I love breakfast food but I really don't like to eat in the mornings. I am a HUGE fan of "Brinner". I would love to see one of these character dinners, which are all pretty awful food-wise, scrap their dinner menu and just serve their breakfast menu all day.
I loooove this idea!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE breakfast food so id be in heaven at a place like this!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #35
jackieinJuneau
Mouseketeer

I agree with so much on this thread!

I am on the Indian, Thai, Dim Sum band wagon
I would add an Asian noddle duo of Pho a Korean soup and good Ramon Noodles.

Disney does a horrible job of representing American food. I would love a good Southern Restaurant, there is a nice The Princess and the Frog tie in. A place that celibates regional American BBQ, bring in someone who has won some competitions, Flame Tree is just okay to me. Improve what they have, no more soup kitchen thanksgiving, its inexhaustible not to make an iconic American meal fantastically!

Also, more non alcoholic drinks for adults. I vacationed in San Diego and all the restaurants offered fancy iced teas or juice type drinks that where great and alcohol free.
jackieinJuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #36
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

I really like the idea of a Tiana's Place restaurant like from the movie... traditional N'awlins cuisine in vintage southern jazz setting!

There also really needs to be a table-service pirate themed restaurant! (Or maybe quick-service at lunch & table-service a dinner like Be Our Guest...)

In Adventureland, of course... maybe w/ a Spanish tapas-style menu for dinner & Cuban sandwiches at lunch. Pirates & Wenches for servers, chocolate gold coins given at the end of the meal w/ your bill, & Jack Sparrow doing meets & greets in the lobby!

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 4 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #37
Erikarate
married her prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy31 View Post
I really like the idea of a Tiana's Place restaurant like from the movie... traditional N'awlins cuisine in vintage southern jazz setting!

There also really needs to be a table-service pirate themed restaurant! (Or maybe quick-service at lunch & table-service a dinner like Be Our Guest...)

In Adventureland, of course... maybe w/ a Spanish tapas-style menu for dinner & Cuban sandwiches at lunch. Pirates & Wenches for servers, chocolate gold coins given at the end of the meal w/ your bill, & Jack Sparrow doing meets & greets in the lobby!
I am totally blown away by everyones ideas! Holy Cow we have creative people here!! I wanted to quote everyone!!! Tapas with Pirates and Wenches, brilliant...Tiana/ New Orleans restaurant LOVE it.

mickeyluv'r: I meant a lobster roll traditionally is just hot lobster on a buttered roll without shrimp. I agree about the fruit and real maple syrup. the idea about the EPCOT festival foods is brilliant!
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #38
Owlpost23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
That would be a great idea! It could be something like "Pajama Party With Pooh and Friends"-breakfasty things-servers in sleep pants,mimosas,etc..Something fun and different.
Owlpost23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #39
Alice Sr.
BWV 1998 BCV 2002 SSR 2006 AKL 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
I realize that The Garden Grill, Sunshine Seasons, and The Wave are already focused on sustainable agriculture and health, but I would like to see even more of that in the World. More organic selections and whole foods would be a very welcomed addition, IMHO!
I agree, another vote for more organic options.
Alice Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #40
mare07
Earning My Ears

There are some great ideas floating around this thread! I second the dim sum and Indian food contributions. As far as food lacking, I agree with the poster that said Disney is not that great at representing US food. I always thought it would be cool if there were a Taste of America place where you could get various items from different US Regions, like, Italian Beef, lobster rolls, BBQ, pork chile verde, etc.

I also think they are lacking the Mexican food department. I think it's all super Americanized and they could do well to amp it up a bit, especially in the spice department. Street tacos instead of the regular tacos would be a start.

MEd-Arizona State University 2011
Dinoland Attractions/Trainer: 2008-2009
WDWCP: 2006

GO ILLINI!
mare07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #41
Sandy55
Earning My Ears

Would love to see Vietnamese cuisine - it would make a great cart food. Could offer summer rolls - the ones in rice paper and not fried because they're light, easy to prepare, require minimal cooking beforehand and ingredients are inexpensive. Also, a good bowl of pho offered at a stand would be great.
Sandy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:17 AM   #42
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy31 View Post
I always thought this is what they should do at POR. They should combine Boatwright's and the River Roost into 1 big restaurant and lounge and turn it into Tiana's Place with a more authentic Southern cuisine menu with some Bayou flair. Of course, Ye Haa Bob would be moved into the restaurant or lounge area. I think Boatwright's is fine if you are staying at POR and just want to relax at the resort at night, but Tiana's Place would be more of a destination for those not staying at POR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlpost23 View Post
That would be a great idea! It could be something like "Pajama Party With Pooh and Friends"-breakfasty things-servers in sleep pants,mimosas,etc..Something fun and different.
That is basically exactly what I was thinking (just not with Pooh and friends since they already have a character meal or 2).

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #43
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer

I always thought a Pixar restaurant would be great. They have Cinderella (CRT), Belle (Akerhaus) and Beast (BOG) meet separate.... why not Buzz, Woody, Characters from UP, Wreck it Ralph? You could have a different set for each meal or something. They don't need to walk around since they gave set up successful character meals not walking to each table...

I have thought about a Tiana's place ever since the movie came out and they marketed her recipes in a Disney Store cookbook and as part of the DS game...beignets, gumbos and muffalettas!

I think a Tinkerbell and Fairy Friends character meal would do great in The Land area...that would be another great organic food tie-in

I saw it on here somewhere but I love the idea of Greek food in Epcot with it's own pavilion...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #44
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer

I always thought a Pixar restaurant would be great. They have Cinderella (CRT), Belle (Akerhaus) and Beast (BOG) meet separate.... why not Buzz, Woody, Characters from UP, Wreck it Ralph? You could have a different set for each meal or something. They don't need to walk around since they gave set up successful character meals not walking to each table...

With Pixar, they could even jump on the food truck craze and have a Mack food truck...

I have thought about a Tiana's place ever since the movie came out and they marketed her recipes in a Disney Store cookbook and as part of the DS game...beignets, gumbos and muffalettas!

I think a Tinkerbell and Fairy Friends character meal would do great in The Land area...that would be another great organic food tie-in

I saw it on here somewhere but I love the idea of Greek food in Epcot with it's own pavilion...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #45
Cadyrose
Mouseketeer

Didn't mean to double post...darn phone didn't look like it sent the first one...first one can be deleted...thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadyrose

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: