Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikarate View Post
I would love if they had some more genuine New England food over at Yacht and Beach - I live in CT and we have fantastic fried clams (and Jimmy's fans here??).
I grew up ten minutes from Jimmy's and Phyllis'. But I am partial to Sea Swirl in Mystic now.

Aaaanyway....as for the question at hand, how Canada cannot have a take away counter featuring Schwartz' Smoked Meat is a mystery to me. It would be the most popular CS venue in the World Showcase, oh.... about 5 minutes after it opened.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
JZCubed
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
A real Dim Sum cart ts restaurant would be awesome, as well as an authentic Indian and Thai, too.

But what is really trendy right now and a great way to eat is tapas-style. Plenty of à la carte little apps. It's a really nice break from the massive meat-potato entrées. Everybody around the table can share and taste plenty of food. We love this kind of dining.
Tapas can be thought of as Spain's version of dim sum - small plates of seasonally appropriate little bites. I'm with you!!

Funny, I'm going to Il Mulino in two weeks with some friends and was thinking how we could devise our own small plate feast with a hint of pasta. We know each other from New Orleans where they have a similar style of eating that starts with raw oysters and plenty of fried ones too, toss in some shrimp and soft shell crabs......

Tapas would be great too!!

Akershus (3.0-stars* Food; 5* princess interaction). blueZoo (4.5* - Best (Sea) Food w/o jacket required), Boma (4.0* buffet breakfast*), Bongo's (3*), California Grill (3.5*food; 5*- Best View), Cape May Cafe (4* charcter breakfast w/ Goofy), Captain's Grille (2*), Chef Mickey's (2* food; 5* characters), Cinderella's Royal Table (2.5* food; 4* characters), Citrico's (3.5*), Coral Reef (3.5* food; 4.5* for the view), Crystal Palace (2*), 50's Prime Time Cafe (2.5*), Flying Fish (3.5*), Grand Floridian Cafe (3*), Hollywood Brown Derby (3*), House of Blues (3.5* - BBQ), Il Mulino (4*), Jiko (3.5*), Le Cellier (3.5*), Les Chefs de France (3*), Marrakesh (3* - Best Value/bit noisy; 4* belly dancers), Narcoossee's (3.5*), Rainforest Cafe (2*), Rose & Crown (2.5*), Sanaa (4.0* - View of Animals on Savannah), Sci-Fi Theatre (2.5*), Shula's Steakhouse (4*), Sleepy Hollow (4* Qwik Serve chicken waffles & coffee drinks), Tamu Tamu (4* - Qwik Serve Hidden Gem) Victoria & Albert (5*- Best Service/Tasting Menu), Wave (3*), Yak & Yeti (2*)
-- Items in BOLD are personal favorites.

On my 'to dine' list: Artist Point (Nov, 2014), Monsieur Paul (2015?), Ohana (2016?), Yachtman's Steakhouse (2015), & Spice Road (2014?).
JZCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM   #18
Erikarate
married her prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
I grew up ten minutes from Jimmy's and Phyllis'. But I am partial to Sea Swirl in Mystic now.

Aaaanyway....as for the question at hand, how Canada cannot have a take away counter featuring Schwartz' Smoked Meat is a mystery to me. It would be the most popular CS venue in the World Showcase, oh.... about 5 minutes after it opened.
I've never been to Sea Whirl as it is pretty far from me. I now live in Darien, but lived in Cheshire when I was little. We used to go to Jimmy's in Hamden before they closed. My DH and I will go to W Haven on occasion because we love the FRESH taste of the clams there.

I wish I could bring all our fellow DIS'ers and foodies to Connecticut/new England to taste what fried clams, clam chowder, and Lobster Rolls are suppose to taste like. I'm sure everyone feels like that about their regional cuisine!!!

I agree with everyone that Tapas are awesome!!!
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

There are no Indian restaurants in WDW. I'd like to see an Indian restaurant... It is a very famous country after all with amazing food.

The Rose and Crown needs improving in Epcot, as does (a little) Tutto Italia. The food certainly isn't authentic at Rose and Crown and it would be nice if they made all the restaurants in WS as authentic as possible without being... Adventurous.

I'd like to see more dining options at AK as there are only three TS restaurants presently! None of them we are that keen on.

I'd like to see more dining options at SSR as it is one of our favourite resorts yet so often overlooked! There is only one TS restaurant at SSR and I think a character meal would be great at putting it on the map so to speak.

DHS could have some better options. The food at Sci Fi Dine In is terrible in our experience! Mama Melrose is cute, but there should be some more options IMO. We usually go over to the boardwalk for lunch instead.

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth
There are no Indian restaurants in WDW. I'd like to see an Indian restaurant... It is a very famous country after all with amazing food.
Isn't Saana Indian food?

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Srbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
TinCup
Mouseketeer

I would like to see some TS restaurants that are child-free after a certain hour at night. Not all of them, but maybe two or three restaurants each night, and rotate which restaurants are child-free.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
Erikarate
married her prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post
The Rose and Crown needs improving in Epcot, as does (a little) Tutto Italia. The food certainly isn't authentic at Rose and Crown and it would be nice if they made all the restaurants in WS as authentic as possible without being... Adventurous.

I'd like to see more dining options at SSR as it is one of our favourite resorts yet so often overlooked! There is only one TS restaurant at SSR and I think a character meal would be great at putting it on the map so to speak.

DHS could have some better options. The food at Sci Fi Dine In is terrible in our experience! Mama Melrose is cute, but there should be some more options IMO. We usually go over to the boardwalk for lunch instead.

See, THAT is what I'm talking about! I see that you are from the UK, so you know that Rose and Crown is NOT authentic. The imagineers should research a bit better the cuisine they represent and at least do a better interpretation of that food. How about the fish and chips? Are they authentic because I LOVE it!

We are DVC and stayed at SSR once but didn't return partly because of the dining options! I think I read when they came up with the concept of the resort that they figured people would go to Downtown for their dining, but we felt like the boat ride was not very convenient to DD. I also hear they may put in a walkway from SSR to DD when they redo DD into Disney Springs, correct me if I am wrong. That might help "put SSR on the map" as you say.

I did not have a good dining experience at Sci-Fi either, sadly because it is such a GREAT idea! The food was bad and it was like 0 degrees in there and I was shivering the whole time.

Honestly I just feel like with all the resources Disney has...all the great, smart, talented, creative people that work there, there is no reason for the food to be BAD!!!
07/06 HRH Club & BWV; Nov. (thanksgiving)AKL05/07- WLV; July- HRH kid Suite; Dec OKW04/08 CBR; July RPH & BWV; Aug CBR;Dec OKW
7/09 BCV, 8/09 Swan. 4/10 AKV Jambo, 7/10 BWV, 8/10 AKV Jambo, 7/11 BWV, 7/12 BWV
4/13 - AKV Jambo, 7/13 BWV!!!! UPCOMING GFV July '14
Erikarate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
jennylyn_b
Disney Fan for Life :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggiebeth View Post

I'd like to see more dining options at AK as there are only three TS restaurants presently! None of them we are that keen on.

As an owner at SSR, I would NOT like to see character dining there...ever! We like it being quiet and with its proximity to DTD there are plenty or dining options. That's just how we feel and I'm sure there are others on both sides.

And yes, they are building a bridge from SSR to DTD but you can already walk from SSR to DTD pretty easily!
jennylyn_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #24
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
See, THAT is what I'm talking about! I see that you are from the UK, so you know that Rose and Crown is NOT authentic. The imagineers should research a bit better the cuisine they represent and at least do a better interpretation of that food. How about the fish and chips? Are they authentic because I LOVE it!

We are DVC and stayed at SSR once but didn't return partly because of the dining options! I think I read when they came up with the concept of the resort that they figured people would go to Downtown for their dining, but we felt like the boat ride was not very convenient to DD. I also hear they may put in a walkway from SSR to DD when they redo DD into Disney Springs, correct me if I am wrong. That might help "put SSR on the map" as you say.

I did not have a good dining experience at Sci-Fi either, sadly because it is such a GREAT idea! The food was bad and it was like 0 degrees in there and I was shivering the whole time.

Honestly I just feel like with all the resources Disney has...all the great, smart, talented, creative people that work there, there is no reason for the food to be BAD!!!

The Artist's Palette at SSR is a VERY nice quick-service grill restaurant, and makes a very tasty breakfast (esp. the omelet breakfasts!)

The broader problem with SSR is that no matter what you may add for a restaurant, the place is so s-p-r-a-w-l-i-n-g-l-y huge that its always likely to be an effort to get there. Yes, "officially," SSR is just a walk away from DTD, but that walk can be (relatively) short or a sizable hike depending on whether you're staying at Congress Park or the Carousel. To say only that it's "a walk" away is kinda ignoring the elephant in the room.

Now, please understand that my family really enjoys SSR, and we're staying there again this summer, so the dining issue isn't that much of an issue for us..

An all-breakfast all-day option would be awesome. My kids used to love what my wife called "night breakfast."
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #25
jennylyn_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist View Post

The Artist's Palette at SSR is a VERY nice quick-service grill restaurant, and makes a very tasty breakfast (esp. the omelet breakfasts!)

The broader problem with SSR is that no matter what you may add for a restaurant, the place is so s-p-r-a-w-l-i-n-g-l-y huge that its always likely to be an effort to get there. Yes, "officially," SSR is just a walk away from DTD, but that walk can be (relatively) short or a sizable hike depending on whether you're staying at Congress Park or the Carousel. To say only that it's "a walk" away is kinda ignoring the elephant in the room.

Now, please understand that my family really enjoys SSR, and we're staying there again this summer, so the dining issue isn't that much of an issue for us..

An all-breakfast all-day option would be awesome. My kids used to love what my wife called "night breakfast."
I suppose it could be seen as a long trek but to us its just a walk and doesn't seem much further than from the bus stop at say epcot to the ws and we never stay on the congress park section.

I'm not sure that SSR was ever supposed to draw people in from the parks but rather be a respite from the hustle and bustle. If that was it they did it perfectly!

We love SSR and its always so nice to meet others who do since it gets more than its share of haters here!
Enjoy your stay this summer!
Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
jennylyn_b

And now back to topic, I would love to see a few places get a new menu and chef that's for sure (Tonys, Rose & Crown, etc) As for totally new places another sushi place other than Kona Sushi Bar or Kimonos would be nice. I know you can get some at Tokyo Dining or Cali grill but a lunch and dinner Ts place that has really great fresh authentic sushi! A BBQ place would be nice too just not sure where it would fit....
Old 03-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #27
amberpi
DIS Veteran

Authentic Indian and Russian would be great While we are dreaming, they could build some new pavilions in WS to go with those restaurants!
amberpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
Sweet Melissa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srbright View Post
Isn't Saana Indian food?

Stacy
No. It's African fusian. They may use some Indian ingredients and methods, but it was never meant to be actual Indian cuisine.

♥ Melissa
Last Visit: November 2013 - Wedding/Honeymoon! Old Key West & Kidani
Next Visit: June 2015 - Disneyland
Sweet Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #29
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see on the menus that there are lobster and shrimp rolls at Hurricane Hanna's, but the fact they have shrimp on them suggests they're not authentic...anyone have them?
Excellent thread topic.

I have to disagree slightly, plenty of NE seafood places have shrimp on the menu. Indeed, one food that is lacking at WDW is a NE perennial- baked stuffed shrimp.

I'd also like to see real maple syrup- but that's probably wishful thinking. (esp property-wide) I hate the fake stuff! Yuck!

I agree improved pizza is a biggie. I'd even settle for a good Chicago style pizza.

I agree with the poster who says Tony's needs work. If Disney can have Via Napoli and Tutto Italia, they should be able to make Tony's better.

My biggest property wide request though has to be more fresh fruit! If they can sell fresh fruit in airports- they can sell it at Disney! Disney gives kids a bit of fresh fruit and veggies, but many adult meals only have a garnish. I'd really like to see fresh fruit offered at every CS place. Sadly, if they offer anything- it's almost always limited to: boring 'delicious' apples, boring Sunkist oranges (In America's orange capital no less! Disney serves lousy oranges shipped form California!), boring melon, rarely red grapes, rarely bananas, and very rarely at buffets- strawberries. Sorry, but EVERY buffet that charges upwards of $30 pp shoudl be ableto provide a little fresh fruit! I want to see blueberries! Strawberries! Mango! watermelon! Real Florida orange (juice)! Raspberries! Fresh tomatos!

I'd like plain Chobani-type yogurt. Again, it's at almost every airport, but not WDW!

Sanaa is Indian, but VERY watered down. It's very bland Indian. In another snese, the food there is quite good, but I agree, it would be nice to see more Indian food. I also agree with more Asian foods- even beyond Chinese and Japanese.

It would be fun it they offered a few Epcot festival foods year round. Like maybe have the former McD's fry station offer one cuisine all year for a year- that changes annually. Disney doesn't offer much in the way of Greek street food. Also offer fun Belgian foods, Polish foods, Spanish foods, African foods....

Kona Cafe once had the most fun dessert creations. Whenever we went there they always had something new, amazing and SO Disney. Some places have desserts that are very good, but many of the fanciful creations are gone. Like we once got a 'paint your own' chocolate Mickey puzzle dessert that came with a cupcake as well.

Oh....and last but not least, bring back the Mickey shaped noodles that used to offered more places!
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #30
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyluv'r View Post
I'd also like to see real maple syrup- but that's probably wishful thinking. (esp property-wide) I hate the fake stuff! Yuck!
Funny little thread drift. I was at a small breakfast joint in VT recently and a sign on each table read: "Real Vermont Made Syrup Served With All Orders. Artificial Table Syrup Served Upon Request For A Fee."

At the current gallon price of real maple syrup, (especially after last year's historically low production rate), I can't see WDW moving to the real thing on a property-wide basis.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: