Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
nicleigh84
Earning My Ears

Star Tours - will this plan work??

Star Tours is my son's #1 must ride. I had planned for us to do the most popular rides in Fantasyland first (Peter, Dumbo, Mr Toad, Alice, Tea Cups, Small World) and then go over to Star Tours. Is this an ok strategy? He would probably vote to skip all of FL and go straight to Star Tours but I want to make sure we get those rides in at least once. Or should I forget what my "planning brain" is telling me to do and make him happy by starting off our day with Star Tours?
Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!

Last edited by nicleigh84; 03-26-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: edited title
nicleigh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
coaches24
DIS Veteran

Yes I would do FL first because they don't have FP. You can get FP for star tours if there is a long line so it's not as important to get that done early.
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Would he go for grabbing a FP for ST, hitting FL and then going back to ST during the FP return time?
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Patrick in Oregon
If you're going to be a goofball, you have to own it right?

I would do Fantasyland first. I would bet that when you were done with FL, Star Tours would be a 20 minute wait, which is easy. I would get a FP for Space Mountain if that is in your plans for the day, then wait in line for ST. If no SM, then get a ST FP, then wait in line, so you can go on it again since it is his favorite ride. I haven't seen a long standby line for ST in some time.
DW:
Cats:
----------
http://www.twitter.com/ptriz21 | http://www.instagram.com/ptriz21
Patrick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
mamaCta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine514 View Post
Would he go for grabbing a FP for ST, hitting FL and then going back to ST during the FP return time?

This is what I would do.

This trip is Me, DH, Sis21, DD15, DS6, DD3, and the ILs.

Disneybounding planning on mama-c.polyvore.com
mamaCta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
nicleigh84
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the responses!
Getting FP for Star Tours and then hitting FL is a great idea! Thanks! I think maybe even I will veer off to grab the FP and let the rest of the group make their way to Fantasyland. I should be able to catch up with them. If not should I send them to Dumbo or Peter Pan first?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Patrick in Oregon
If you're going to be a goofball, you have to own it right?

Peter Pan
DW:
Cats:
----------
http://www.twitter.com/ptriz21 | http://www.instagram.com/ptriz21
Patrick in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
sweethannah
Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

Is this during a MM or a regular Park day, midweek or weekend?
Also, if I may ask how old is your son? We had some of the best ST experiences shortly before close on a Sunday night.

During the week, early in the AM we were able to ride ST back to back with less than a 10 minute wait because we went straight there and not FL.

For reference though, we were there late September, into October. If your schedule permits I would do TL as a priority on a regular Park admission day when most people head to FL, just be there early. If it's his most favouritest ride then do it before FL and focus on FL on a MM day.

ST was a priority for us because the first time we went ST was doing it's big refurb and was open for staff only.

Last edited by sweethannah; 03-25-2013 at 01:34 PM.
sweethannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

How old is your son? How long is your visit? Has he been there before?

I have to tell you, going past Star Tours to get a FP and then LEAVING that area can be frustrating for even the most experienced Disney child.

I'm assuming this is NOT during a MM day because as far as I know they don't have FP machines on during MM.

If you'll be there more than one day where you can be among the first in the park, I would hit Tomorrowland (and Star Tours) first (and second ad third and fourth LOL) one day, and Fantasyland first another. It can be HARD for a child to enjoy one thing when all they can think of is another, and depending on his personality, FL could be a big black cloud of ick in his mind, if all he wants is Star Tours.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
tdhickey
DIS Veteran

You are much better off hitting Peter Pan first thing in the AM, the line for that ride later will be longer than the line for Star Tours all day. It is also a good way to build up to Star Tours. I know kids though, sometimes they will whine the whole time until they get what they want, so I think it depends on your kid.

I would start with Pan and then head over to Star Tours if he can't take the wait. Getting a Star Tours FP first thing is a waste, you might as well just get on the ride and then go on Space Mountain next. The waits for those in the AM are nothing.
tdhickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
nicleigh84
Earning My Ears

This day will be a Tuesday, MM for us. We are going mid June. It will be our only morning in DL although we will be there the next afternoon/evening. This is our first trip to Disneyland. We went to Disneyworld in Nov 2011 where Star Tours started the biggest Star Wars obsession I have ever seen. My son will be 6 on this trip. We also have a 4 year old and a 1 year-old daughter who will love everything in FL.

So the fact that our day will be our MM, does that change anything?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
nicleigh84
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot
How old is your son? How long is your visit? Has he been there before?

I have to tell you, going past Star Tours to get a FP and then LEAVING that area can be frustrating for even the most experienced Disney child.

I'm assuming this is NOT during a MM day because as far as I know they don't have FP machines on during MM.

If you'll be there more than one day where you can be among the first in the park, I would hit Tomorrowland (and Star Tours) first (and second ad third and fourth LOL) one day, and Fantasyland first another. It can be HARD for a child to enjoy one thing when all they can think of is another, and depending on his personality, FL could be a big black cloud of ick in his mind, if all he wants is Star Tours.
Thank you for this perspective. I would hate for him to miss out on fun because all he can think of is his beloved Star Tours. Definitely something to consider.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
nicleigh84
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhickey
You are much better off hitting Peter Pan first thing in the AM, the line for that ride later will be longer than the line for Star Tours all day. It is also a good way to build up to Star Tours. I know kids though, sometimes they will whine the whole time until they get what they want, so I think it depends on your kid.

I would start with Pan and then head over to Star Tours if he can't take the wait. Getting a Star Tours FP first thing is a waste, you might as well just get on the ride and then go on Space Mountain next. The waits for those in the AM are nothing.
He is actually a very patient child so I don't think he will be bothered to wait. He will understand about trying to plan with the least amount of waiting possible. I guess I just want to figure the best plan to make sure we get multiple rides on ST.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

I would go to FL first (starting with PP) during your MM. When the parks have officially opened, I would get FP for ST. If the standby line isn't too bad, get in line then, also asking for the rider swap pass. Then the other parent can take him back on. Or do the same with the FPs if you don't do standby. If you do the combo of FP, Rider Swap & standby, he could go 3 times.

Upcoming: Oct 16-19 (DLH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH), June '14 (PPH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
SMD
DIS Veteran

I did AP early entry yesterday in DL. At 8:05 there was a mass of people going towards Space Mountain. FP return time for Star Tours was 8:40 - 9:40 am. We got in line behind 4 families. 3 families had kids who needed their height checked. After that we walked through the entire queue and straight to be sorted into a row for the ride. Of course on a regular EE day there will be more people in the park before it opens, but even if you have to wait 10-15 minutes for Star Tours I think that a 6 year old will really love the queue. Use the FP for a second ride if you think he'll want to go on it multiple times.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: