Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #46
sweetcreams
Mouseketeer

Thanks everybody!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM   #47
DonaldnDaisy5
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcreams
Thanks eerybody! My husband does know how I feel, and he pretty much feels the same way (he gets even more annoyed than me sometimes!), but he doesn't think we can ask them not to come. We did tell them that we were going to be doing the parks at a quick pace, and we don't stop for meals and snacks constantly, so they knew that going into it, but they are not independent AT ALL...they couldn't even find their way around the hotel by themselves, much less on Disney transportation. I do believe that they want to visit with the kids (though DS couldn't really care less), so maybe I will be able to get DH to take them for a long visit during Christmas break this year instead of them coming along. I really appreciate the comments, suggestions, and commiserating!
I feel your pain, except my dh knows the problems of traveling with his family, yet just can't say no to extended disney vacation with everyone.

Inlaws are the SAME way and dh just keeps saying, everyone can do what they want, we're not changing our plans, but I know this means they'll just follow us, complaining and getting crabby so we'll adjust our plans automatically and I'll be mad!

Good luck!
DonaldnDaisy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #48
sweetcreams
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldnDaisy5 View Post
I feel your pain, except my dh knows the problems of traveling with his family, yet just can't say no to extended disney vacation with everyone.

Inlaws are the SAME way and dh just keeps saying, everyone can do what they want, we're not changing our plans, but I know this means they'll just follow us, complaining and getting crabby so we'll adjust our plans automatically and I'll be mad!

Good luck!
That's what my husband says too! And the same thing happens! He will actually book it through the park with his dad trying to keep up because he says "I told them we were going to to be moving quickly." I'm the one hanging behind with FIL trying to feed him granola bars so he won't pass out. It's really nutso!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #49
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelA View Post
Why is it a requirement to vacation with both families? The OP has stated they go and are their inlaws multiple times throughout the year and their inlaws have come to them as well. It's not like they don't see them.

Life's not fair. The OP and her kids don't need to be miserable at Disney just so it's 'fair.' I guess I'm in the minority on this.
I don't think it's a requirement to go with both families. We only have the OP's "side" to this--the IL's may just want more time with their grandkids, or are feeling left out because their son's family does this every year with the "other grandparents". What I think really needs to happen is for the OP and her DH to sit down and have an honest conversation with the ILs about what they expect to get out of the trip. That would be a great time to point out that they didn't seem to enjoy the last WDW trip, didn't like the food, didn't like the pace, whatever. Perhaps there's a compromise--go somewhere else, rent a house off-site where the IL's can chil while the OP goes to the parks, something.

Believe me, I totally get not wanting to vacation with the IL's. I have an overbearing MIL, and vacations with her have been legendary--and not in a good way. But here's the thing--she's still my kids' grandmother. Now, she's the only living grandparent they have. She's 82 and frail and no longer able to travel. She needs my respect and kindness. When she goes, I want my children to remember her fondly, and to recall good times with her. I have to make that happen, even if I'm gritting my teeth. So really, I'm just trying to help the OP take a longer view of the situation.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #50
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom View Post
I don't think it's a requirement to go with both families. We only have the OP's "side" to this--the IL's may just want more time with their grandkids, or are feeling left out because their son's family does this every year with the "other grandparents". What I think really needs to happen is for the OP and her DH to sit down and have an honest conversation with the ILs about what they expect to get out of the trip. That would be a great time to point out that they didn't seem to enjoy the last WDW trip, didn't like the food, didn't like the pace, whatever. Perhaps there's a compromise--go somewhere else, rent a house off-site where the IL's can chil while the OP goes to the parks, something.

Believe me, I totally get not wanting to vacation with the IL's. I have an overbearing MIL, and vacations with her have been legendary--and not in a good way. But here's the thing--she's still my kids' grandmother. Now, she's the only living grandparent they have. She's 82 and frail and no longer able to travel. She needs my respect and kindness. When she goes, I want my children to remember her fondly, and to recall good times with her. I have to make that happen, even if I'm gritting my teeth. So really, I'm just trying to help the OP take a longer view of the situation.
Love your approach to this.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:02 AM   #51
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzznBelle'smom View Post

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: