Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #31
smallsteps
Earning My Ears

I'm like others here!
  • Jeans: Nordstrom Rack or Macy's ... I try to keep them at less than $30
  • Shirts: Macy's, Express (sales), Lerner NY (sales) ... I aim at around $10-15 per shirt (and it can be done at those stores!)
  • Underware: I splurge at Victoria's Secret....but I'm weird in that I use it until it's trash so I only get new stuff every few YEARS
  • Skirts, Dresses and stretchy (around the house) pants: Old Navy, Gap Express, Lerner NY, Target .... I aim for under $20, except for dresses which I rarely buy (but when I do, they are closer to $50)
  • Workout Clothing: Target, Costco or Sports Authority.....each piece for under $15
  • Shoes: I buy new shoes once every 2-3 years so they come from all over the place. I'm not a shoe person at all. I circulate 4 pairs of shoes: flip flops (3 years old now and in need of new ones), mary janes for cooler weather (bought at Target for $15), tennis shoes (just bought new fancy hiking shoes, had the last shoes for ~7-8 years), and high heels (worn once a year haha!)
smallsteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

My first stop for a new clothes item is usually Goodwill. Unless it's jeans. I don't like used jeans...don't know why.

If I can't find it there, I try one of the following:

Kohls w 30% off coupon
Outlet store (Banana Republic was my fave before I had to switch to maternity)
TJ Maxx/Marshalls

I've bought all my maternity clothes from Goodwill and thrift stores, with the exception of two pairs of pants I found on the not-quite-perfect rack at the Motherhood Maternity outlet.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #33
trewin
Mouseketeer

I'm the same age, I mainly shop at Banana Republic - the outlet only! Or Kohls. Both I wait for sales, or good coupons. (If you have an outlet center nearby buy the coupon book!)
I love the LC - Lauren Conrad line @ Kohls!
trewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #34
Christen99
Wet behind the ears

I just bought a ton of clothes from Kohl's. I had three coupons for $10 off $30, and with each of those transactions, I received $10 back in reward bucks (no clue what they're called) to be used the following week. I went back, and bought a pair of jeans that retailed for $65, on sale for $39, and paid just $9 out of pocket. .

Most of the things I bought the previous week were on clearance or 50% off, and after my coupons and sales I saved a total of $230

I spent $70 out of pocket, but I got a ton of stuff.

I also shop at Ross, Marshall's, and T.J. Maxx at times. I rarely buy clothes though...maybe once or twice a year if I need something.
Christen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #35
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

For the most basic stuff, I'll do Walmart...it's like who is gonna know really? I also do Kohls for a lot of other stuff, especially when I can get a 30% off coupon.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #36
ExPirateShopGirl
My posts are sanitized for your protection!
Oh, sorry. The dog just peed on it.

Shopping the sale racks (or online sales) of the retailers with the higher-quality clothing will save you money over the discount/lower-end stores every time. One, the cost will be roughly the same and two, the items will last much much longer than their inferior counterparts.

Sign up for email newsletters and sales notices with stores like Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, L.L. Bean, H&M, Dillard's, Talbot's, J. Jill, Garnet Hill, Macy's Bon-Ton, Lands' End, Banana Republic, Gap, etc. Click through the email links for the best deals. They send out Sale notices frequently. Many offer free shipping, or free shipping with a minimum purchase. Sometimes they waive the minimum purchase. Buying from a department store that doesn't do business in your state will save you sales tax usually.

Nordstrom has two really excellent sales a year on Ladies clothing.
Nordstrom Rack also carries discounted first quality apparel. Other stores offer cash back for future purchases. Some offer a percentage off the total sale.

Many deals to be had out there!
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #37
luckyfin
Coming out of hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I have no idea if you are a man or woman and I have no idea what is considered cheap for you.

But, I do know that I am a 27 year old female with no kids as well and I go to Loft to buy nice clothes that are age appropriate. I have learned to wait for their 40% off sales so everything I buy there is 40% off! They have nice clothes that range from casual to dressy. I love their sweaters and dresses.

That is my place I go to for deals. Also, Gap has a great sale rack. I have also bought a nice pair of jeans at the LOFT outlet.
Loft and Gap are my go-to's as well. They have great deals constantly and I never pay full price for anything. I am almost 32 and feel their clothes are quite age appropriate. Stylish and classic.
POR 2011 DD's 1st Trip Pop 2012 POFQ 2013
luckyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Most of my clothes I get at Loft or the Ann Taylor outlet. For Loft I always wait for a 40% off sale or some of their other offers like get $50 off $100 purchase. I don't think I have ever bought anything full price there. I do also get some clothes at Banana Republic and my jeans at Gap. Dresses I have had good luck at Macy's and Nordstroms.

I have found some deals at places like TJMaxx, Marshall's and Nordstrom Rack, but I really have to be in the mood to shop at those places. I hate having to go through the racks of clothes.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #39
tnd
DIS Veteran

I buy my work clothes at Nordstrom and Lands End (I need to dress up a bit for work though not suits every day). I buy casual clothes at Lane Bryant, Old Navy, and Lands End. I do not buy clothes for anyone in our home unless they are on sale.

Last edited by tnd; 03-25-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling
tnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #40
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Mostly Kohls with a 20 or 30% off coupon or LLBean. I have very simple taste so they suit me just fine. I wear scrubs to work so not much shopping there. I prefer Levi's (before them became popular again) so whereever I can get them on sale, usually Sears or JCPenneys. I like Macys for dresses though I don't wear them often.
Dressy shoes last me for years because I wear them so rarely. Except for formal night on cruises, maybe once every other year. They go out of style before I wear them out. I usually go to Famous Footwear for shoes & sneakers. They email coupons often, currently have a 15%. I tried Payless once, and they were plastic/vinyl junk. I can't be that frugal.

ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #41
Sagginit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPirateShopGirl View Post
Shopping the sale racks (or online sales) of the retailers with the higher-quality clothing will save you money over the discount/lower-end stores every time. One, the cost will be roughly the same and two, the items will last much much longer than their inferior counterparts.

Sign up for email newsletters and sales notices with stores like Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, L.L. Bean, H&M, Dillard's, Talbot's, J. Jill, Garnet Hill, Macy's Bon-Ton, Lands' End, Banana Republic, Gap, etc. Click through the email links for the best deals. They send out Sale notices frequently. Many offer free shipping, or free shipping with a minimum purchase. Sometimes they waive the minimum purchase. Buying from a department store that doesn't do business in your state will save you sales tax usually.

Nordstrom has two really excellent sales a year on Ladies clothing.
Nordstrom Rack also carries discounted first quality apparel. Other stores offer cash back for future purchases. Some offer a percentage off the total sale.

Many deals to be had out there!
this! it depends on your lifestyle but i work in NYC in a professional setting so i need clothes that are fashionable, classic, and do not look cheap. i love nordstroms and lord & taylor for shoes (plus some clothes). Banana republic has some awesome sales. hit them up around may-june and look at the clearance rack. they often end up marking things down at least twice and then will do 40% off those prices at select weekends. last week with a coupon i got a pair of ballet flats for $17 on the clearance rack.

for jeans i also like VS catalog, i have gotten some good ones on clearance.

i will go to tj maxx but dont always find things. i have gotten mostly shoes, bras, and workout clothes there. for some reason i cant even get good panties there, for that i always hit up VS.

joe fresh is new to my area (and at JCP now). i got some really good finds there last summer on clearance. the tees are ok but the socks and sweatshirts have held up really well. truthfully for the $5 i paid for the tees i am fine tossing them when they go in a year.

target for tanks/tees at times.

fit is important and i cant shop at stores like talbots or even ann taylor outlet because the clothes are cut too boxy for my slender frame.

beware the outlets. while they have great prices its because the items are mostly made for them and lesser quality/materials. a dress or blouse at the BR store will be 100% silk, i have seen the same thing in cheap polyester at the outlet the next year. and guess what, i paid less than the starting outlet price by getting it on clearance.

another weird thing is to get to know your stores. for some reason certain places i go always have my size on sale/clearance racks, other places sell out.

the thrift shops in my area are not nice so i stay out but for a while my mother worked at a non profit with a really great one. the key is to find out who donates, rich people usually means better clothes (usually . and sometimes they had local boutiques donate stuff as a write off which was always a score.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #42
sarah4770
DIS Veteran

I get a lot from JCrew final sales online.... but, you have to know your size, because a lot of time they are not returnable. I will say, though, I don't think their quality is as good as it used to be.
sarah4770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #43
Jacoby 46
Run Disney in November!

I love Old Navy, Kohl's and TJ Maxx!!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #44
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

Most of my clothes are from Kohls (always with a coupon)
wishesuponastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #45
Kitzka
DIS Veteran

Most of my clothes have been coming from anthropologie these days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: