Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #16
MAD4EEYORE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay

I often hear of people saving a dollar and ending up in the hood.
Apologises: I dont understand the above saying?

Many thanks for all the advice.
What that saying means is people trying to save money and book a hotel in a bad part of town.

What is a good part of town? We are staying at the comfort suites? Is it safe in the area?
MAD4EEYORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #17
WVURunner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
Looks like we are on the same sailing!

I was hoping there would be something to do in the terminal, but sounds like there isn't!! Guess I better pack extra things for the kids to do while we are waiting. Does anyone know what time they start boarding in Galveston? Is it 11? We have a car picking us up at our hotel in Houston by IAH at 9am. Am I arriving at a good time or too early? Kids will probably be antsy by the time we get there. I think it is a 2 hour drive. Am I wrong? First time to Texas so no idea what to expect. Thanks!
Have you checked out our cruise meet thread yet? If not, come join us! We are a pretty fun bunch with lots of info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
I often hear of people saving a dollar and ending up in the hood.
Apologises: I dont understand the above saying?

Many thanks for all the advice.
Stevie-It just means that when people book a hotel based on price (a cheap rate), it might not be in a nice area of town. Not all of Houston is a place you want to stay....
WVURunner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #18
MrsChdlc2011
Earning My Ears

My advice is to be careful.
The Strand does have some cute shops, but I'm not certain what time they open.
If you are staying in the Houston area, I'd strongly suggest staying in Pearland or Sugar Land.
IAH is about 2 hours from Galveston, Hobby is a little over an hour. (in good traffic! 288 is a disaster!!!)
Do not say anywhere in the general vicinity of Hobby - its not a place you want to be. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me.
MrsChdlc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD4EEYORE View Post
What that saying means is people trying to save money and book a hotel in a bad part of town.

What is a good part of town? We are staying at the comfort suites? Is it safe in the area?
Do you know which comfort suites? Address?
eggroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
MAD4EEYORE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggroll

Do you know which comfort suites? Address?
Guess that would help Huh? Sorry it's

3606 89th Street, Galveston
Old 03-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #21
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:

You are ok. If you are renting a car empty it out. Auto theft is common in Houston area. Are you renting a car? I can give shopping and advice too.

Thx teddy
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #22
MAD4EEYORE
DIS Veteran

Thank you! It's hard to find any information on the Houston and Galveston areas. Didn't know what we are getting into.

We are driving from Georgia actually. We were thinking of leaving the car at the hotel and taking the shuttle. Is that a good idea? Should we park at a lot or park at the port? What do you suggest? Any information you have would be great!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #23
okstategrads
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justacruiser View Post
There is abolutely nothing to do inside thje terminal. Not even tv's showing cartoons or anything else.

There is the kid's club sign up and I did notice lines. The ship will probably not stop boarding till I get off the boat! I return from the WDW cruise on the 18th. So, I might just tray to stay on a while, lol.

If you have kids, and you arrive early, get in the line to sign the kids up. Don't arrive at the terminal early just to sign kids up, but if you get there, try the line. You are doning nothing anyway! If they call your boarding number and you aren't up to the counter, get on board and sign the kids up there.

Hope the waters are calm for you!!!!! See ya on the 18th!
If I've registered my kids online do I still need to do something before we get on the ship?
okstategrads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM   #24
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:
Thank you! It's hard to find any information on the Houston and Galveston areas. Didn't know what we are getting into.

We are driving from Georgia actually. We were thinking of leaving the car at the hotel and taking the shuttle. Is that a good idea? Should we park at a lot or park at the port? What do you suggest? Any information you have would be great!
I think it's cheaper to leave it at the hotel. However, if you do a park and ride you will get home much faster.

You are also close to a Walmart, a Kroger grocery, and an academy outdoor if you need anything. If you are going to get booze, there is specs around the corner, and they are great.

They are some good places to eat to

Chain restaurants

Landrys
Rainforest cafe
McDonald's
Salt grass

Locals restaurants

The spot - hamburgers / good hangout on the water

Gaidos / Chris - this is a Galveston landmark. The two are connected. Gaidos is upper scale and more $$. Chris is cheaper and more laid back. Neither are fancy.
Both are good

Di Bella's - Italian, it's in a neighborhood and pretty authentic. The ribeye is amazing. I would wash my hair in the marinade.

Tourist stuff

You are around the corner from schlitterbahn. It's is an indoor/outdoor waterpark. Fun.

Schlitterbah Is on the same lot as moody gardens -
It's a place like a butterfly/bird garden. Has an IMAX too. Not bad but $$.

Pleasure pier - little park with rides on the pier. It's like something you would see in Santa monica, ca or on that cartoon despicable me. It's kinda pricey too.

Hope it helps.

Teddy
Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #25
MAD4EEYORE
DIS Veteran

Thank you Teddy for all the information. I'm excited to visit the area as I've never been to that area of Texas. I'll have to try a few of the local restaurants you mentioned. I like to eat at local places I don't have here at home.

Thanks again
Tanya
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #26
eggroll
eggroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD4EEYORE
Thank you Teddy for all the information. I'm excited to visit the area as I've never been to that area of Texas. I'll have to try a few of the local restaurants you mentioned. I like to eat at local places I don't have here at home.

Thanks again
Tanya
If you guys come in on a Friday afternoon, go to Perry's steakhouse on Bay Area blvd in clear lake. It's close to NASA.

This Perry's is fancy shmancy. There others are like butcher shops. There is pork chop special that is 3-4 inches thick that can feed two adults. It's only 9.99 on Fridays and Wednesdays. It's great value and amazing.

281-286-8800

This is the type of place that rent out wine cellars and put family names on them.

It's a high end experience for great cost. If you go outside of lunch it will cost you 40-60$ per person.

Get the Mont Blanc or bananas foster. They are table side made desserts that are memorable.

Teddy
Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
princessmommyx3
Mouseketeer

Quote:

We stayed at this hotel before our February cruise and I thought it was great. It seemed safe and was very new and clean. There were tons of other cruisers staying there and I saw some using the hotel shuttle to leave/return from the port. Like the PP said, if you leave your car at the hotel and use the hotel shuttle, it will probably take you longer to get back to your car after the cruise but that might be the cheapest option. We used Lighthouse Parking and were pleased with it.
princessmommyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: