Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
EveDallas
Pure BS

Park hoppers worth it?

I'm hoping to surprise DS with a short trip for his birthday. If it works out, we'll be there for 4-5 days at the beginning of August and staying at POP. The major thing I'm stuck on is whether or not to get park hoppers. If I don't get them, I'll be saving about $120, which could be a large chunk of our food budget. I'm just wondering if I'll regret being stuck in one park each day. Thoughts?
EveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

We didn't get them two trips ago, and had them last time. Honestly, it worked better for us not to have the hoppers. We wasted time going from one park to another.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveDallas View Post
I'm hoping to surprise DS with a short trip for his birthday. If it works out, we'll be there for 4-5 days at the beginning of August and staying at POP. The major thing I'm stuck on is whether or not to get park hoppers. If I don't get them, I'll be saving about $120, which could be a large chunk of our food budget. I'm just wondering if I'll regret being stuck in one park each day. Thoughts?
It's worth it for us. We tend to leave a park if it gets really busy and head somewhere else or back to the pool. We will do AK one day and then as it closes, have dinner and then head over to EPCOT or MK for EMH's if available. We have also been know to do rope drop at HS for TSM and RnR (two of our favorites) and then heading to another park.

It really depends on your family and how you like to tour the parks. We really don't like being stuck in any one place (call me type A ). We also rent a car and head to Dunkin Donuts right off the property some mornings for a quick breakfast, try US/IOA and SeaWorld some trips and like to be able to get where we want quickly without waiting or transferring from one bus to another. Some days we go all day at one park, others we hop. Last time we saw Illuminations in EPCOT and then monorailed over to MK for the castle show and Wishes.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveDallas View Post
I would not get them for a 4-5 day trip. If you were staying longer, then the cost gets spread out over more days and you're more likely to want to hop over to a second park after you've done all you want at one park. Just plan your days around whichever parks will be open the longest and when the nighttime parades/shows/fireworks will be available. You should be fine without hoppers.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Perfect reason we get park hoppers

Just got back from a trip to wdw last week.

Wednesday morning we went to MK. got there around 9:30. no weather issues.

the following rides were down.
1) space mountain
2) dumbo (both of them)
3) pirates of the carribean
4) splash mountain (scheduled).

So pretty much 4 out of the 5 top headliners were out of commission. we waited an hour and they still were not running.

We bailed and took the monorail over to Epcot. easy breezy. I would have been seriously pissed if this was my only mk day and we were stuck. You could still get fast passes.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
LilMrsSunshine
Earning My Ears

We have always purchased Park Hoppers. They especially come in handy when the parks aren't busy and you are done riding all of the rides before dinner, which has happened to us a couple of times. We then hop to the next park and start on those.
LilMrsSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
We didn't get them two trips ago, and had them last time. Honestly, it worked better for us not to have the hoppers. We wasted time going from one park to another.
Agreed....for longer trips I don't, bt for short trips I do.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Disworldluv
DIS Veteran

My wife and I always get park hoppers with non-expiration. We know we will be back to Disney at least yearly and we are Disney veterans. We have our favorite rides for each park and plan our park attendance around crowd
estimates for each day.
Disworldluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
elcodfish
Mouseketeer

If you aren't sure, you can always add the hoppers once you get there. It costs the same amount if you add it on the first day or the last.
elcodfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Totally not worth it for us. We don't go often and there is way more than enough to do in one park per day that I would waste time going to a different park. We got them once and I don't think we park hopped once all week.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

We always have hoppers. I can't stand the thought of going to a park and not being able to go back to that same park to do something we might have missed or wanted to do again. Especially doing Food and Wine or Flower and Garden, when we are likely to go to one park during the morning and then to Epcot in the afternoon/evening.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
geckodani
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcodfish View Post
If you aren't sure, you can always add the hoppers once you get there. It costs the same amount if you add it on the first day or the last.
This is what I've done on the last two trips I took. We ended up adding hoppers one one trip so we could change plans and avoid some rain, and left them off on the second.

I'd set the money aside but wait until you are there to decide. If you need/want them, it doesn't take long to have them added.
geckodani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

I don't get them for short trips. If you only have 4-5 days I think there's enough to see/do in each park to spend the day there. As a PP pointed out, if you decide you want to hop then you can always add it.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
bigmamimia
Mouseketeer

I apologize if you have seen me post this already. It seemed to be such a good deal that I have been telling everyone about it. A few weeks ago the website ebates.com ran a special where you could get 10.5% cash back on an "activity" transaction from orbitz. Orbitz was offering a 5day base ticket for the price of a 3 day ticket. We saved $50 per ticket. Ebates normally offers 5.25% cash on orbitz activities which would have you saving about $37 per ticket, or wait for the 10.5% deal to come back (they've had it available twice in the last month). We could have saved a few dollars extra if we added the park hoppers at that time but we aren't sure if we will need them. We will upgrade at the park if we want to use them while there. You could essentially save enough money for another night hotel stay, or another day in the park, or the park hoppers.
bigmamimia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Well you are going in August and it will be boiling hot in Aug. So you will probably go to a park in the morning and then leave in the afternoon around 11:00 or noon when it gets too hot. Then you can go back in the evening after 5p.m when it cools off. So no don't park hop

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: