Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
andrews_dad
DIS Veteran

Just booked. Leave in 2 weeks!

Hit the world 2 or 3 times per year, but this cruise is not planned and 100% spur of the moment. At home with the kids off due to a March 25th snow day (where is Spring?). Tired of the cold and snow. Booked it. Did not even ask for the days off from the boss yet, but I am due. LOL. 4 day on the Dream. Been 10 years since on a cruise ... first with kids! What the heck, you only live once. Wife and I did one Diz cruise well before having kids. Book flights with SW points from opening cc account through a deal found on disboards budget board. Found a nice rental card rate with the Wendie rate from disboards transportation board. 4 days of cruise, 2 at new Magic Kingdom, 2 at either SeaWorld or Aquatica with the Seasame Place Super Grover passes I discovered on Budget board. THANKS disboards!

Any activites at the kids clubs aboard that I should not have the kids miss? Girl is almost 3, potty trained. Son is almost 5.

Any other general hints or tips welcomed! Flying blind and not much time to plan!
andrews_dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

How exciting!

Check the Navigator each evening to see what activities the kids (and/or adults) will want to do. "Almost 3 and potty-trained" MAY be allowed into the Oceaneer Club/Lab if she's within a month or two of her birthday and if they have space. Otherwise she'll be in the nursery and you'll have to schedule that time ($6/hr). Keep in mind, kids up to 12 yrs old will be in the Club/Lab as well, though hopefully not intermingling too much. If your kids are checked-in for secured programming at the Club and it switches to Open House mode (you can see this in the Navigator), they will be moved to the Lab to continue secured programming.

Cruises are great, no need to plan much! Have a great vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
luvslikepi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews_dad View Post
Hit the world 2 or 3 times per year, but this cruise is not planned and 100% spur of the moment. At home with the kids off due to a March 25th snow day (where is Spring?). Tired of the cold and snow. Booked it. Did not even ask for the days off from the boss yet, but I am due. LOL. 4 day on the Dream. Been 10 years since on a cruise ... first with kids! What the heck, you only live once. Wife and I did one Diz cruise well before having kids. Book flights with SW points from opening cc account through a deal found on disboards budget board. Found a nice rental card rate with the Wendie rate from disboards transportation board. 4 days of cruise, 2 at new Magic Kingdom, 2 at either SeaWorld or Aquatica with the Seasame Place Super Grover passes I discovered on Budget board. THANKS disboards!

Any activites at the kids clubs aboard that I should not have the kids miss? Girl is almost 3, potty trained. Son is almost 5.

Any other general hints or tips welcomed! Flying blind and not much time to plan!

Are you on the April 7th or the April 14th? We'll be on the 14th. I'd say start out by finding your Cruise Meet. This will be our first DCL cruise so I can't help much on the activities but if you're on the 14th cruise we'll be having a DISmeet at 2:30 at Vista Cafe.
luvslikepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #4
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

You waste no time. I like it!
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Awesome!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
andrews_dad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvslikepi View Post
Are you on the April 7th or the April 14th? We'll be on the 14th. I'd say start out by finding your Cruise Meet. This will be our first DCL cruise so I can't help much on the activities but if you're on the 14th cruise we'll be having a DISmeet at 2:30 at Vista Cafe.
April 7th. Booked March 25.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
April 7th. Booked March 25.

You'll have an awesome time! My best advice (and I read this before took our first 4 nighter on the Dream) you can't possibly see and do it all so just choose what you guys are into the most and enjoy the experience. We ended up booking our second 4 nighter for the Dream about 30 days after returning from the first (that we had booked 14 months out) and then travelled 30 days later and we had a blast both times.

Have a great time!
Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, & 4/2014 Fantasy Next: 9/2014 (Dream for my Mom), 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Do your online checkin ASAP to select your port arrival times.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
mousehouselover
Your life is an occasion; rise to it. - Mr. Magorium

Location: My dream came true! I live 35 minutes away from my happy place!

We're on the Apr 7th cruise also! It should be a lot of fun! There's a meet thread and a FE group if you want to get in on it. We did our online check in last week and we got a 1pm port arrival.

~*~DH~*~Noni~*~DD1~*~DD2~*~DS~*~Life with three teenagers: definately not for the faint of heart!
My Dreams came true: We moved to Central FL 11/09**I can visit WDW anytime and share the magic with those I love!
Most recent and upcoming: My first cruise: 4 days on Disney's Dream 9/30/12; a Magical birthday adventure being planned by DH 10/15-20/12; Be Our Guest ADR for 12/1/12 An exciting development: there's a CM in the family!! I can see even more Disney magic in my future!!
mousehouselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
JENR
Disney Addict

We are on the same cruise. We just booked it a few days ago too. So excited.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
andrews_dad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousehouselover View Post
We're on the Apr 7th cruise also! It should be a lot of fun! There's a meet thread and a FE group if you want to get in on it. We did our online check in last week and we got a 1pm port arrival.
I am driving myself to the port. Staying offsite. Do you guys means port arrival based on dis transportation or does it impact the time we are actually permitted to embark?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
FeliciaL
Earning My Ears

When you check-in via the DCL website and complete your 'boarding documents,' you will be assigned a time to board the ship from DCL.

We are on the same cruise. Our boys are 2 and 6.

With the little one, you might consider signing up for some nursery time. We are sending our little guy to the nursery during part of dinner.
FeliciaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I am driving myself to the port. Staying offsite. Do you guys means port arrival based on dis transportation or does it impact the time we are actually permitted to embark?
If taking DCL transfer, you will be allowed into the terminal for check-in regardless of your "Port Arrival Time" (PAT).

If not taking DCL transfers, your PAT could impact when you are allowed to enter the terminal at the port. If you have a PAT after noon, even though the terminal officially opens at 11:00am (possibly earlier) you may be asked to wait outside until boarding begins and crowds subside. Best time to arrive in this case is between 12:00-12:30pm because boarding has begun and they are likely at "open boarding" around 12:30 which means anyone is allowed to board. However, your actual boarding number that is given at check-in will be tied to your PAT so if you arrive early and are allowed into the terminal early, you may still wait a bit in the terminal after they begin boarding.

You will select a PAT when you do your online check-in.
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: