DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #31
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by keri125 View Post
A little OT, but my office shares a wall with two gentlemen that, when they first began occupying their office, would bounce a ball off our shared wall in the afternoons. I work in a client-based occupation, so am meeting with participants every half-hour, and it was very difficult to hold a conversation when your pictures are shaking off the wall and it sounds like an earthquake is happening in the next room. Finally I went across the hallway and explained (very nicely, I thought!) that the sound of their ball bouncing off the wall was very disturbing to my work. They were very nice and haven't done it since, but they did express great surprise that it was that disturbing to me. I just didn't understand that. They had been in our office suite before, they knew we shared a wall. I'm sure there are times they could hear rumblings from my office... how could they not have known that this would be disturbing to me? I don't think they were lying or malicious... they just didn't think about it. Anyhow, sorry for getting off-topic. This just made me think of that and empathize with how clueless people can be sometimes!
I have one like that too. Years ago I worked for a big company and they remodeled our offices. When the dust settled, my boss, who was also a long time very close friend, had his office across the hall from the back wall of my office.

When he wanted me, he would take a ball, chuck it against my wall w/o even having to get up from his chair. Like an intercom, except he ran the risk of beaning someone who was walking by the hallway when he threw the ball.
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #32
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
... and flushing the turbo toilet ...

They are quite efficient, aren't they?
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #33
keri125
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean

I have one like that too. Years ago I worked for a big company and they remodeled our offices. When the dust settled, my boss, who was also a long time very close friend, had his office across the hall from the back wall of my office.

When he wanted me, he would take a ball, chuck it against my wall w/o even having to get up from his chair. Like an intercom, except he ran the risk of beaning someone who was walking by the hallway when he threw the ball.
I have to say, this made me laugh! Quite rude of your boss, but also very ingenious!!
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #34
Disneylifeforme
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz
Sometimes the parents yelling constantly at the kids is worse than the kids themselves.

Bill
Yes indeed
Disneylifeforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #35
Disneylifeforme
Mouseketeer

My kids are usually exhausted after a day at Disney! But we did have to call 911 cause are daughter fell and busted her head, so of course it was loud , if that was a"bother" to bad
Disneylifeforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #36
Song of the South
Mouseketeer

At OKW we were awoken from a dead sleep super early by a neighbor Mother yelling, "A capital letter goes at the beginning of a sentence and with proper nouns. Now do you want to fix it or do you want to argue?" We didn't hear a response and didn't hear anything else but this one phrase our entire stay.

SotS
Song of the South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #37
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of the South View Post
At OKW we were awoken from a dead sleep super early by a neighbor Mother yelling, "A capital letter goes at the beginning of a sentence and with proper nouns. Now do you want to fix it or do you want to argue?" We didn't hear a response and didn't hear anything else but this one phrase our entire stay.

SotS
Somebody didn't do their homework before they were going to go to the parks. Oops.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #38
LookOutBelow
Earning My Ears

Orlando Sound Machine!!!

My wife worked 3rd shift at a hospital for a year and invested in a sound machine. We never go anywhere without it!!!
Old 04-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #39
keys2kingdom
DIS Veteran

I laughed through this entire post since we just experienced these exact same things on our trip to Colonial Williamsburg/Washington DC last week. It seems that a lot of other people just are not very courteous, it's like they don't think anyone else is there. My son probably gets very tired of all my rules in hotels but I refuse to be one of these people. We pull the doors closed quietly instead of letting them slam, no running or loud talking in the hallways, no loud talking or loud TVs in the rooms. These days hotels have such lousy sound insulation that it is almost impossible to enjoy your stay if you have a boisterous group nearby.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #40
Breyean
DVC Since '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys2kingdom View Post
I laughed through this entire post since we just experienced these exact same things on our trip to Colonial Williamsburg/Washington DC last week. It seems that a lot of other people just are not very courteous, it's like they don't think anyone else is there. My son probably gets very tired of all my rules in hotels but I refuse to be one of these people. We pull the doors closed quietly instead of letting them slam, no running or loud talking in the hallways, no loud talking or loud TVs in the rooms. These days hotels have such lousy sound insulation that it is almost impossible to enjoy your stay if you have a boisterous group nearby.
Let me know when you're going to stay at OKW next time so I can get the room next to you!
Breyean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #41
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post
I was in a studio there once with the people next door so loud it was ridiculous. But I let it go, until someone started throwing a ball against the door. You know, like a kid using the door to play catch by himself.

So I went next door and the family was amazed that I could hear anything - they said they didn't hear ME. Of course not - I was by myself, just there to run the marathon and sleep.

But there was the boy holding a ball in his hands, so I pointed to him. They still denied than i could hear anything from their room.

Then I related all the conversations I had overheard through the door - where they had been, what they each liked and didn't like, the visit tomorrow to see Grandma.

THAT got their attention. They finally realized if I could hear normal conversations then probably a ball clunking off the adjoining door w/b problematic.

Things quieted down after that, but I was gone the next day so someone else who got my studio probably owed me a thank you if they had it more quiet than I did.
It's amazing how dense people are about the noise they make. I had neighbors who played very loud music. With my doors and windows and my air conditioning unit on, I could still hear not only the bass but the lyrics and these houses were at least 40 feet away from each other.

When I asked them to turn it down, they said they didn't believe I could hear the music.

Even when they received police citations, they were confused over what the issue was.

I think though, in the case of the resorts, most people don't realize how poorly noise proof they are. However, I thought that the last time I stayed at Kidani in a dedicated two bedroom, it was really quiet. My luck I guess!
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #42
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of the South View Post

SotS
We're homeschoolers, so I could completely see this happening to us - and probably has when we've accompanied my husband on business trips and taken work along - though I've made it a point thus far not to have to take work with us to Disney. I don't want to do it there any more than the munchkin does!
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #43
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

I have to say, I missed this thread before, and then we were away for the week. We did just stay in a studio at OKW for the first time. We have NEVER had an issue with noise at Disney until now. We stayed for 2 nights, and the second night we needed to be up early and head out to Miami. Well, sure enough at 11:30 (thank god my wife and kids were already asleep) our neighbors in the one bedroom must have returned from a park and MY GOODNESS was it loud! I understand you lose track of time at Disney, and everyone has fun, but by the time 12:30 hit and I was still being kept awake by their conversation, I got up and banged on the conjoining door to let them know they were not alone. It quieted down after that.

Not sure I what I did was correct, but after an hour of being kept awake by them, I felt they needed a reminder that they were not the only ones in the hotel. As far as the little ones behavior, it's amazing what people will let their children do. I keep mine in line as best I can and try to teach them to respect others.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #44
csharpwv
DIS Veteran

One great thing to remember about staying in a lock-off is this - just ask for an extra pillow - or take the pillows of the couch, and close them between the two doors. It won't remove ALL of the sound, but it definitely will eliminate some of the sound!

I agree about the remodel at OKW - we stayed there once before the remodel and once after - and the different without the carpet was VERY dramatic in terms of sound bouncing around.

A perfect nightmare would be removing the carpet at HHI! UGH! That would be deafening!

When we were there in January we had a room in the Live Oak Lodge, our room was right above the patio area outside of Big Murgies. The staff had set up cornhole boards on the patio - and some family thought it was a great idea to play a game of cornhole at 11:00pm one night! The friends that were staying with us had JUST put their toddler to bed (after much fuss from him and not wanting to go to bed). You wouldn't believe how rude the family was when I asked them to please quiet down if they INSISTED on playing right below our room at 11:00pm. I was shocked at how rude they were! Absolutely no consideration for WHERE they were playing, how loud they were being, and the time of night they were playing! It was so frustrating!

People really have to be more considerate about what they do in and around the resort and how it may effect other guests!
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #45
C&Apriputin
Earning My Ears

Sadly, common courtesy is no longer common...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: