Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Kristian
Mouseketeer
 
Kristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 449

How many sit down meals do you do a day at Disney with smaller kids

We took our dd on her first Disney trip last September and we had a wonderful time. We had free dining and we did a TS meal each day (some lunches and some dinners). Lunches ended up working out better for us because we found that we enjoyed being inside in the A/C more with our dd in the afternoons rather than during the evenings because by that time it was starting to cool off and we could enjoy the parks more. We did do a mid-day rest back at the resort, but we always had lunch before heading back to the room.

We are booked for September again and we decided not to do the dining plan. So unless free dining is offered, were paying out of pocket. Were staying 7 nights again this time and we don't do TS meals on arrival or departure days because we drive 12 hours one way. So far I have 4 TS meals in mind that we want to do and I don't think that i'm going to add anymore. We will have one park day that we won't really have much of a plan for because we leave our last day open so that we can go back to whatever park we want.

I just thought I would ask what others do as far as dining goes? Last September with the dining plan we had 7 TS meals and because we didn't do any TS meals on the day were arrived or departed, we ended up with a day or two where we did 2 TS meals and I found that it was to much.
__________________
tickers.com/
Me DH DD (5)



Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #2
cparnpilot69
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal-Ventura
Posts: 3

We do table service on lunch and dinner on all days. The time that we spend eating in air conditioned restaurants, we also use to rest and recharge. Plus since we are always full, there is usually no urge to buy and eat things like pretzels etc which pretty easily adds up cost wise. We probably end up spending less eating at table service at places like Coral reef, Crystal palace, etc than going quick service and eating junk food in between meals.
__________________
Me: 43 DW: 43 DS: 9 DD: 7

1996 June -1st - Offsite (Hilton)
2008 June - 2nd - Boardwalk Villa
2009 June - 3rd - Offsite (Marriot Residence Inn)
2011 June - 4th - Offsite (Marriot Residence Inn)
2011 Dec - 5th - Disney Music Resort
2013 Dec - 6th - Disney Movie Resort

Disneyland - At least once per month.
cparnpilot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Kristian
Mouseketeer
 
Kristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 449

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparnpilot69 View Post
We do table service on lunch and dinner on all days. The time that we spend eating in air conditioned restaurants, we also use to rest and recharge. Plus since we are always full, there is usually no urge to buy and eat things like pretzels etc which pretty easily adds up cost wise. We probably end up spending less eating at table service at places like Coral reef, Crystal palace, etc than going quick service and eating junk food in between meals.

I agree with this as well. We usually eat breakfast in our room, then have a TS lunch, and then a CS dinner (or vice versa). We don't do a lot of snacks between meals though. I guess none of us really feel like snacking in the heat, but we do stay hydrated. I just feel like for us 2 TS meals a day is a lot to plan for. When we do CS, we sometimes pick a place that we can go in and sit down in the A/C and eat anyway, so I guess in a way were still sitting down in a sense. However, we can do it whenever we want, which is really why I don't like doing more than one TS meal in a day. I like having one meal a day planned, anymore than that is to much for me, but I see your point.
__________________
tickers.com/
Me DH DD (5)




Last edited by Kristian; 03-25-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
nat8199
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 341

We are taking our 3 little ones for our first trip in Oct. They are early to bed and early to rise types, so we plan on doing one sit down before parks open for breakfast and then another sit down for lunch. For their dinner we will pick something up for them to eat back in the room before bed at 6pm. We don't plan on taking breaks back in the hotel, so we plan on using the meals as rests with stroller naps right after.
__________________
Family trips... BLT Oct 2013, YC (Hopefully!) Sept 2015

Too many pre-family to count!

Me - 32 DH - 34 DD - 4 DS - 3 DS - 3
nat8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda
 
FlightlessDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 11,354

If you "sitdown" you mean table service (since technically with quick service, you still "sit"), than mostly we did one a day, and most of the time it was dinner.

As for the afternoon, at least when the children were smaller, we always went back to the room after lunch. Then again, we always go in the summer.
__________________
FlightlessDuck
DH of MouseEarsJenny

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran
 
wallawallakids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,562

We do one TS meal a day on our trips and one QS meal. We eat breakfast in our room.
__________________
(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &

wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
DisneyBliss7
''Wish upon a star''
 
DisneyBliss7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 621

We aren't doing the DDP this Sept/Oct either. We have a full kitchen in our room so I feel it will save us money. I'm doing 3 table service meals OP. Chef Mickey, 1900 Park Fare, and Trex Cafe. We are flying so I'm booking 1900 PF the day we arrive for a late dinner b/c I know I won't feel like cooking anything Then we will do Chef Mickey breakfast probably on our second day at MK. TRex cafe will be near the end of our trip b/c it's for all three of our sons birthdays(we have twins and then my little guy was born a day after their bday). I think that is plenty(at least for our family)
__________________

DD-13 DD-10 DS-7 DS-7 DS-3 DH- ME-
DisneyBliss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #8
RachaelA
DIS Veteran
 
RachaelA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 1145 miles from the mouse
Posts: 4,971

We usually do 1 a day. This trip we are going less though, but not because of DD, but because I want to save money!
__________________

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
mm1971
DIS Veteran
 
mm1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
We took our dd on her first Disney trip last September and we had a wonderful time. We had free dining and we did a TS meal each day (some lunches and some dinners). Lunches ended up working out better for us because we found that we enjoyed being inside in the A/C more with our dd in the afternoons rather than during the evenings because by that time it was starting to cool off and we could enjoy the parks more. We did do a mid-day rest back at the resort, but we always had lunch before heading back to the room.

We are booked for September again and we decided not to do the dining plan. So unless free dining is offered, were paying out of pocket. Were staying 7 nights again this time and we don't do TS meals on arrival or departure days because we drive 12 hours one way. So far I have 4 TS meals in mind that we want to do and I don't think that i'm going to add anymore. We will have one park day that we won't really have much of a plan for because we leave our last day open so that we can go back to whatever park we want.

I just thought I would ask what others do as far as dining goes? Last September with the dining plan we had 7 TS meals and because we didn't do any TS meals on the day were arrived or departed, we ended up with a day or two where we did 2 TS meals and I found that it was to much.
We do a few table service meals throughout the week we are there. Depending on what restaurants we chooses, we may do none or up to 2 on any given day. I thing we have 2 on our first EPCOT day, 2 on our AK day (1 in the park and 1 out) and then two other meals booked so far. If they offer free dining, we will book more. If not, I think that is it and we'll play it by ear the rest of the time.
__________________
(Jim) (W) (DS13) (DD11)
DD# 714



mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Happyjen27
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,077

We were all over the place with TS. If we did 2 a day, it was a very early breakfast at a park, and then dinner. Some days we didn't plan one because we wanted the flexibility to do whatever, whenever. Sometimes we made last minute reservations for dinner if the kids napped and were able to cope with dinner out. In general we didn't enjoy the QS much, just junk food and we don't usually eat like that. At the same time, sometimes you don't want to always sit, wait, order, wait, eat, wait, pay, you know? Thankfully we stayed at the Poly and the QS was decent, and a table at Kona was almost always available for last minute decisions.

I think planning on 4 is good, and you can always pick up a reservation somewhere last minute. It won't be 'Ohana or CRT, but you'll find something nice, just call your concierge.
__________________
(Me) Disney Dreamer
(DH) Willing Participant
(The Littles) twin 7 year olds; Disney Fanatics in Training

Dec 2012: Polynesian, my first trip
Dec 2013: Contemporary
2014: 2 Non-Disney trips planned, going to wait and see how this whole FP+ thing shakes out.
Happyjen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Canooknic
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyjen27 View Post
We were all over the place with TS. If we did 2 a day, it was a very early breakfast at a park, and then dinner. Some days we didn't plan one because we wanted the flexibility to do whatever, whenever. Sometimes we made last minute reservations for dinner if the kids napped and were able to cope with dinner out. In general we didn't enjoy the QS much, just junk food and we don't usually eat like that. At the same time, sometimes you don't want to always sit, wait, order, wait, eat, wait, pay, you know?
This is what we did in February. TS for lunch & dinner was too much for my boys so for lunch they shared QS salads and then had fruit snacks mid afternoon, or if we had breakfast in our room they had TS lunch and shared a QS for dinner, they loved the 'make your own' stations at POR - I'm pretty sure they would have happily lived on the salad all week!!!
__________________
Me DH DS 5 DS 5

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #12
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran
 
SweetMissy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,190

I'm not a fan of TS with kids because disney can be stressful enough, lol. Plus we don't want to waste time sitting and eating when we can just to QS and be done in 20mins or so. However, for our next trip in a couple weeks, we'll be doing 2 TS meals. Rainforest Cafe for breakfast and Sci Fi for lunch. I personally wouldn't do more than that. But there are some who do TS all the time....eeek.
__________________
Melissa Adam
DS~10
DD~7
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
GoldieLocks5
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 394

we had one a day, except for one day when we had 2 (lunch and dinner). My boys were 5, and 2.5yo twins - and it worked out well for us.

that is our plan for this next trip, too. 2 sit downs a day to me is too much "planned" - but one is managable time wise.
__________________



[/url]
Mom to 1+Twins, all boys
Planning our 3rd Disney trip! 1st was March-April 2012, Suite @ ASMu. 2nd was May 5-11 at Beach Club, and 3rd will be early May, Beach Club again!
GoldieLocks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
JulieODC
DIS Veteran
 
JulieODC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 790

We had ~1 TS per day scheduled when we took DD last year at 14mo - we ended up canceling a few of those - we just felt like it was a little stressful to predict how she's be after a long day, and it was just as easy to get some CS and eat at our own pace.

That siad, I'm hoping to do more TS when we go in November (~26mo).
__________________
My 2014 trip report!
A 21-hour tease and one FANTASTICAL voyage! May 2014 TR!

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD2

DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Kristian
Mouseketeer
 
Kristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 449

Thanks everyone for great answers. To clarify, even during QS meals we still do sit down usually inside somewhere to eat. However, this usually takes way less time than doing a TS meal and ordering and waiting for our food. There is no waiting on a bill, no waiting to be seated and it just takes less time in general. I like lunch TS meals the best because if for some reason we don't do our mid-day break, it allows for a nice break anyway. Our dd handles being up later really well but as I said, we like taking advantage of the park in the evenings when it's cooler instead of using the time for a longer sit down meal that we have to plan around. Were planning on doing Ohana on our first night in the parks for dinner because we love it and obviously we can't do it for lunch, but other than that, I'm shooting for lunches.
__________________
tickers.com/
Me DH DD (5)



Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.