Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
AZlady
DIS Veteran
 
AZlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 575

5k Neverland 2014

I want to do the 5k (Jan 2014). I have never done any Disney runs, but have run three 5K's.
I could use some advise.
How many people do they let register?
Will it sell out in 90 minutes like the other Disneyland one did?
Any way to register early (besides run in another Disney event)?
The day of registartion I will be on an island and a different time zone...and really dont want to stress out about internet connection, ect.
Thanks everyone
__________________
ME DH DD DS
AZlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,695

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
I want to do the 5k (Jan 2014). I have never done any Disney runs, but have run three 5K's.
I could use some advise.
How many people do they let register?
I believe about 7K.
Quote:
Will it sell out in 90 minutes like the other Disneyland one did?
Most likely yes.
Quote:
Any way to register early (besides run in another Disney event)?
Register with a charity group? My daughters run for Team Muscle Maker for UCMD. They are able to pre register groups.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,245

I think the Tinkerbell weekend one is usually less popular than the September Disneyland Half Marathon weekend, but the 5K will sell out.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
AZlady
DIS Veteran
 
AZlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 575

[QUOTE=
Register with a charity group? My daughters run for Team Muscle Maker for UCMD. They are able to pre register groups.[/QUOTE]

Is it okay your not a "part" of that group? How do I find them? Do I do this before or after registration?

Thanks!
__________________
ME DH DD DS
AZlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,695

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
Is it okay your not a "part" of that group? How do I find them? Do I do this before or after registration?

Thanks!
I would find a group before hand. Some request you help fund raise. Team Muscle Makers only requests fundraising for 10k and the Half. 5K doesn't have to fund raise (at least not for the last 3 races) but we have anyway.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
AZlady
DIS Veteran
 
AZlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I think the Tinkerbell weekend one is usually less popular than the September Disneyland Half Marathon weekend, but the 5K will sell out.
Do you know why its less popular? I live in AZ and think a early Sept race would be HOT~ Isnt it still crazy hot over labor day?
__________________
ME DH DD DS
AZlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,388

The Neverland 5k doesn't sell out nearly as fast as the DL 5k. You have no less than a month to register for it. I didn't register until August and registration opened in June last year. The 1st year it was at night and included a park tix so it was more $, but you could still sign up race weekend. If you sign up when registration opens, you should be fine. It won't sell out the first day/week unless they add a new race like the Dumbo Double Dare race in Sept. They announced on the run disney page a while back that registration should open July 9th or 10th this year. If you don't register the 1st day, when you check on the race page on run disney, once registration gets above 50% they'll put up how full the race is and regularly update it so you have time to gauge how fast you need to sign up.

Tink is a little less popular than DL b/c it's geared towards females, so most of the guys wait until Sept. Disney also changed the weekend from the end of Jan in it's 1st year to MLK weekend this past year. With the change, it's now back to back w/ the WDW Marathon Weekend, so that helps split people b/w WDW and DL vs. Sept where it's just DL. And b/c not a lot of people go C2C in a week, they use Sept as their C2C.

The past couple of years the DL 1/2 has been warm but not crazy hot. But don't be fooled about Tink either. Last year it was warm, I ran in capris and a short sleeve top for the 1/2 and it was warm for the 5k, but it was at night. This past year it was at 5:45. When I left the hotel it was okay but got cold when I was in the park, mostly b/c you're standing around, but once you start running it was fine. And w/ the 1/2, it started at 5 this year, and by mile 3 or 4 I was again in a short sleeve top.
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
AZlady
DIS Veteran
 
AZlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 575

Kim3339- great details thanks!!
I would love any evening run.
I saw the WDW night run.... With villains, that would be awesome.
__________________
ME DH DD DS
AZlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:05 AM   #9
AZlady
DIS Veteran
 
AZlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 575

Where does the 5k start? Thinking of staying on site for the first time and wondering where it starts.
( I thought I asked this questions,but can't find the answer)...sorry
__________________
ME DH DD DS
AZlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
Where does the 5k start? Thinking of staying on site for the first time and wondering where it starts.
( I thought I asked this questions,but can't find the answer)...sorry
Last year it started at 5:45am. The start line was inside the park near the hub to the right of the Castle, facing the Matterhorn. They opened the park b/w 4:45 and 5am for you to get inside and started getting lined up for the race. It ended in DCA by the WOC and Silly Symphony Swings.

Here's the course for you ~ 5k Map

Hope that helps!!
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,388

AZlady ~ just wanted to give you a heads up. They just posted on the run disney twitter that they are doing a new challenge next year b/w the Tink 1/2 and the Princess 1/2 in WDW for their Coast 2 Coast challenge. Registration for Tink opens on June 9th, ONLY if you are registering for the Princess as well. If you are just registering for Tink, reg will open on July 9th. Because this is a new challenge, registration could get a little crazy.

I know you are looking at the 5k, but wanted to let you know just in case. If Tink adds a 10k, and they might b/c they are doing it for the Princess race, the 5k could go fast this year. So you might want to jump on and register July 9th to be safe.
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
whoever
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Historic Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,043

I really want to start doing these... just did my first run (the 2013 Pat Tillman run), and it was GREAT. Doing one in the park would be awesome
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #13
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
I really want to start doing these... just did my first run (the 2013 Pat Tillman run), and it was GREAT. Doing one in the park would be awesome
Congrats on your 1st run!! And you should do the Disney ones ~ they are so much FUN!!! The Neverland 5k is completely in the parks and backstage. The DL 5k in Sept starts over in the parking lot area and ends behind ESPN Zone, but that one is sold out already. The 1/2s are a combo of parks, backstage and around Anaheim. Tink is more residential and downtown Anaheim and the DL 1/2 is parks, backstage and the more industrial parks of Anaheim, but you get to run inside the Anaheim Angels Ballpark around the foul lines on the field.

But they really are tons of fun. There are characters to take pics w/ inside the park and outside for the 1/2 there are cheerleaders, bands, Mariachi Bands and Hula Dancers for the DL 1/2. Plus you get to see the park in a whole new light!!
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #14
AZlady
DIS Veteran
 
AZlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3339 View Post
AZlady ~ just wanted to give you a heads up. They just posted on the run disney twitter that they are doing a new challenge next year b/w the Tink 1/2 and the Princess 1/2 in WDW for their Coast 2 Coast challenge. Registration for Tink opens on June 9th, ONLY if you are registering for the Princess as well. If you are just registering for Tink, reg will open on July 9th. Because this is a new challenge, registration could get a little crazy.

I know you are looking at the 5k, but wanted to let you know just in case. If Tink adds a 10k, and they might b/c they are doing it for the Princess race, the 5k could go fast this year. So you might want to jump on and register July 9th to be safe.
My concern is the 5k will sell out to fast. I will be on a beach vacation on registration time! Some times it hard to do things on the IPhone. I did get a Disney visa hoping to get an early registration offer~I see that happened for WDW run. Do you think they do it for DL runs?

Don't think I can do the coast 2 coast. My DH would really know I'm Disney crazy! ( he still doesn't understand why I'm going to DL to run a 5k. )
__________________
ME DH DD DS
AZlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #15
kim3339
DIS Veteran
 
kim3339's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 2,388

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZlady View Post
My concern is the 5k will sell out to fast. I will be on a beach vacation on registration time! Some times it hard to do things on the IPhone. I did get a Disney visa hoping to get an early registration offer~I see that happened for WDW run. Do you think they do it for DL runs?

Don't think I can do the coast 2 coast. My DH would really know I'm Disney crazy! ( he still doesn't understand why I'm going to DL to run a 5k. )
They might, I want to say yes, but I'm not 100%. My disney races are starting to all run together. I know they did for the DL races in Sept, that's how I registered. I can't remember for Tink though. I've never received the email myself even though I have one too, but people start talking about it on the WISH thread and I go onto to Visa site and click on registration through there.

If I read anything over on the WISH thread about early registration, I'll let you know.
__________________

kim3339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.