Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Shelby16
Earning My Ears

Closet organizers

I've read the tips about bringing the over-the-door shoe organizer...what about the closet? Is it large enough for a hanging shelf organizer? Thinking about working around the limited drawer space.
Shelby16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby16 View Post
I've read the tips about bringing the over-the-door shoe organizer...what about the closet? Is it large enough for a hanging shelf organizer? Thinking about working around the limited drawer space.
Pretty sure you could do that, however, be aware that a large hanging object in the closet will be noisy because of the movement of the ship. I know empty hangers are. In our experience we had plenty of closet/drawer space for everything.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Shelby16
Earning My Ears

Thanks Shmoo, I've been lurking awhile and have come to really value your opinion. I think maybe I'm underestimating the cabin space. There is such a thing as over-organizing, lol!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Shmoo, I've been lurking awhile and have come to really value your opinion. I think maybe I'm underestimating the cabin space. There is such a thing as over-organizing, lol!
How many people are you going to have in the room? We've traveled with 2 & 3 in a room and had plenty of space. Our experience is only on the classic ships, but there are 6 drawers in the desk (as well as the smaller 7th one, in the middle like where you keep pencils and stuff in a desk). As well as the steamer trunk (some rooms have a single one, others a double) with 3 more shelves and a couple of deep shelves in the closet. I think the Dream class ships don't have the steamer trunk, however.

Thanks for the compliment.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Shelby16
Earning My Ears

We are four---2 adults, 2 small children. On the Magic, 5A cat. Probably be ok without the extra organizer. Over thinking things for sure Even thought about bringing two shoe organizers, simply based on the amount of junk my children seem to accumulate....
Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are four---2 adults, 2 small children. On the Magic, 5A cat. Probably be ok without the extra organizer. Over thinking things for sure Even thought about bringing two shoe organizers, simply based on the amount of junk my children seem to accumulate....
Since we've only been 2 of us on most cruises, we didn't do the shoe organizer thing (plenty of shelf space in the bathrooms). But, if I was traveling with kids, I'd do it. Just having someplace handy to put the little things (KTTW card, hair brush, sunblock, etc.) seems really a good idea.

Have a good cruise. Magic was our first (ship as well as cruise)

Old 03-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
lovedmy1stcuise
Earning My Ears

after reading all this posts about shoe orgonizers, I brought one with us last year on the Fantasy, for 4 of us, didn't find use for it at all, left it in our room maybe people who used it after us found use for it. This year on the Wonder I didn't even bother bringing one. There are just enough space for everything
lovedmy1stcuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I did bring the closet organizer that attached to the bar and had five shelfs. I did use it because I had it but would have had enough space without it- and I never heard it in the closet not even when it was a little rough.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
lorenni
DIS Veteran

I am planning to bring some sort of organizer exactly for my toddler's junk! Socks, shoes, trains, dinosaurs, etc - life is easier these little things are in pockets and he can reach them. So for me it's not so much a way to crate extra storage space as it is a way to create space that he can access.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
randergrace
Earning My Ears

I used one from ikea. Mesh. Circle holes. We used for dirty laundry and shoes and it was a lifesaver!
randergrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #11
llnolte
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There were four of us on the Magic in a 5A and we had plenty of space. We used the space in the desk area for our girls. And there is the steamer trunk too. We brought a shoe organizer and didn't even use it. But for small children, it might be helpful.
llnolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #12
Shelby16
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the replies---after actually taking a look at my shoe organizer, I see it has a TON of pockets. I think we'll be OK with just that. We were at WDW last Fall and we had so many toys/snacks/shoes strewn about our room. The shoe organizer should help keep those small items out of the way.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

If you have the split bathroom, I'd suggest what we did - which really helped keep our cabin organized. 2 over the door shoe organizers - 1 was just for shoes and we put it on the door that was further into the cabin. The other over the door shoe organizer was for all the little things that take up counter space and can cause clutter - it also helped everyone know where everything was: sun screen, lip balm, toiletries, wet towelette packets to replenish beach tote, extra sunglasses, hair accessories, etc., etc.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
klepton
Mouseketeer

You're going to get 100 different people respond, with 100 different answers as far as the perfect level of storage. It all comes down to how your family packs, and what's in your room. We (family of 4, one being 4 months old) did a 4A so we had extra room for the pack 'n play. We also got a double steamer trunk, which we wouldn't have been able to live without. We took an over the door shoe organizer, and used it to its fullest potential! We had enough room with all that. A closet organizer like you're talking about would have been good for us, as we had the steamer trunk jammed packed but didn't have as much hanging stuff. I'll probably pick one up for our next cruise. I also liked the idea mentioned above for two over-the-door shoe organizers, and I'm really surprised I didn't think of that...

We are mid-heavy packers. We don't do laundry while we're travelling, and we pack a few extras of everything just in case. We had to with a baby who you never knew when the spit-up was coming... We'll usually end a cruise with a few items still clean and unused.

The door organizers are completely personal preference. We'd never go without them, but others will tell you they aren't needed at all. There are ample shelves in the bathroom(s), at least I think so. But in our case, DW has so much specific stuff for everyone... DW, DD, DS all have a separate bottle of lotion (DW has more than one), kids have two separate sunscreens from us (body and face). DW and DD each take an unfathomable number of flip-flops, dress shoes, etc. Hair dryers... brushes... makeup kits... Our counter tops would be over-crowded if we didn't have the shoe organizers. I don't ask about the excess... I just pack it all into suitcases. I personally have one small toiletry bag for all my stuff.

Here are the best things you can do/know for your situation:

1) Cruise once, experience is the best indicator of what you need
2) Check out:

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/ship...tateroom-list/

See if your room has a double, single, or no steamer trunk. The double we had was quite large!
3) If at all possible, use collapsible duffel suitcases instead of the big framed ones. My favorite suitcase we have is this one:
http://www.costco.com/f%C5%ABl-2-Pie....11760945.html

It's light, packs and amazing amount of stuff with separate compartments, and folds down.

The reason I say this is because every other cruise ship I've ever been on you could store your suitcases under the beds. On the magic, our three big rectangular suitcases (pretty traditional) wouldn't fit under the beds. We had to put two of them between the bed and wall on my side of the bed, and the other one against the wall next to the TV. That was more annoying than anything else.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helped
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Personally we usually take the over-the-door shoe organizer but I think the shelf thingy would take up too much luggage space. We put the shoe organizer over the bathroom door to the the half with the shower and found it handy to store our various sunscreens, pocket cameras & lanyards etc.

I am a reformed over-packer and now won't go ANYWHERE without using packing cubes and packing folders. They have literally cut my packing in HALF and now whenever we go on vaca I can organize all of our stuff in the provided drawers without any problems.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: