DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #31
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

OT, so sorry Chuck...... Your mom is very lucky to have you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
True words of wisdom.
In this world there are rule followers and rule breakers. One traveling with the other would make for an unpleasant trip for both.

Some of the nastiest, longest lasting feuds are between family members. My Mom's younger sister wouldn't speak to Mom for the last 25 years of her life, even though Mom would call her occasionally. Her family didn't even let Mom know that her sister had died. This sisters child, my only first cousin and my closest living relative, has not spoken to me in 33 years.

This pool hopping thing may be the tip of the iceberg between these two sisters. If the sister feels entitled to pool hop because the other is a DVC Member, the solution would be for the owner to tell the non-owner to buy their own membership and they can then interpret the rules of use however they please.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #32
Harlemgirl720
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger2ntinkerbell View Post
To say the least, I was upset yesterday after talking to her, but my hubby reminded me that she has always takes things the wrong way. And said we are still going to have a great time.

With that said, my brother In-Law just called and talk to my DH(). When I asked him what that was all about, he said that we will never go on any more vacation with us, end of subject, And that my sister has been put on notice.

My brother in-law apologized again about her out burst. My DH told him thank you, but your still not going with us.
Sometimes I could just kiss that man.

So to all of you that helped me with this emotionally drama, THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart, you guys "ROCK"

tigger2ntinkerbell

Kudos to your Hubby. I was going to say they could never go anywhere with me again. That would be the first and last time. Let them go on their own. Enjoy your vacation.

Harlemgirl720 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #33
anna08
DIS Veteran

You are smart to stick to your guns - you'll have your DVC membership for a lot more years, and it's better to be firm about the rules early so that there is no suggestion of it ever again.

Like a lot of sisters, she'll at some point want to make amends and if you do ever travel together again, you won't have to have the same argument years from now.

I'm in the camp that has never wanted to pool hop. When it takes 60-90 minutes to get anywhere by bus, I can't imagine it being worth two hours to do what I can do at the resort I'm at.

We suspected one time at SSR that there were a group of local young women at a pool there who had just driven in to swim at the resort pool. I do not feel it is an inconvenience to have gates with locks for your KTTW card (or RFID bracelet in the future) to gain access.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyElite4 View Post
What do you do when you know someone is pool hopping, notify a lifeguard, and then nothing happens? We have been at the pools in the past when we have overheard families talking about going back to their resort soon (a different one than the one they are currently swimming at). We have notified lifeguards who just kind of shrug or act like they are going to take care of it - and nothing. The family stays put. It can be very frustrating.
Well Disney is never going to ruin someone else's vacation unless they're being disruptive, even if they don't belong there. Or unless they absolutely have to. They trust that most people will follow the rules. The ones that don't usually get away with it, again unless disruptive.

We found this out on the cruise.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #35
wrighter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just got off the phone with my sister(wow that didn't go well). She said because I was being such a *****, that they are now not coming with us.
I held my temper and said I was not being a *****, it's just the rules of DVC. I have emailed her the section(My DH found it in the rules) to her,so the ball is in her court.
I have also called the Hotel and changed the # of people on the reservation(she told me in not so nice words, I was to MOVE her and her DH from the reservation).
If she calls me back (which she will) in the next week of so ,about added them back on the reservation, I'm simple going to tell her(very nicely) that she will have to make her own reservations.
Thanks to all for your advice.

tigger2ntinkerbell
I think you should consider yourself lucky that this conversation happened BEFORE your trip!!! Can you even imagine what vacationing with them could have been like?!

While certainly not fun to deal with, better that you dealt with it at home and not at WDW. She can't ruin your trip anymore.

Her loss.
April 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas-----October 2014 Boardwalk Villas-----April 2015 Magic 7-Day Western Caribbean-----2015 Family Reunion at WDW?
wrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #36
bethy
DIS Veteran

When I was younger I would have made a point of spelling out the rules to my sibling.

Now, as a wiser and world-weary oldest sister I would pretty much not say a thing and would make my own choices (not to pool hop) and let them make theirs. In this case you would be 100% protected because you are not even staying onsite. There would be no link between you and your sister from Disney's standpoint. You are not responsible for her choices, DVC member or not.

Now, if she were staying as your guest, then yes that gets much trickier. Still I can't imagine they would revoke your membership if you guest went and pool hopped at BCV, for example. They'd just get turned away and a verbal reprimand and that would be that.

Nothing worth fighting with a sibling over, IMHO.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #37
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just got off the phone with my sister(wow that didn't go well). She said because I was being such a *****, that they are now not coming with us.
I held my temper and said I was not being a *****, it's just the rules of DVC. I have emailed her the section(My DH found it in the rules) to her,so the ball is in her court.
I have also called the Hotel and changed the # of people on the reservation(she told me in not so nice words, I was to MOVE her and her DH from the reservation).
If she calls me back (which she will) in the next week of so ,about added them back on the reservation, I'm simple going to tell her(very nicely) that she will have to make her own reservations.
Thanks to all for your advice.

tigger2ntinkerbell
Given what you've posted I'm willing to be this is not the first family drama you've had with such issues. IF so, it's possible you could have other issues this trip or going forward. It is hard to believe that someone would get so upset about this specific issue when staying off property.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #38
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post

Well Disney is never going to ruin someone else's vacation unless they're being disruptive, even if they don't belong there. Or unless they absolutely have to. They trust that most people will follow the rules. The ones that don't usually get away with it, again unless disruptive.

You go inside and find a manager. You then ask for a discount or other compensation since you paid more for things others are getting for free and had you known this you would have just dropped in too.

That gets them moving.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #39
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What do you do when you know someone is pool hopping, notify a lifeguard, and then nothing happens? We have been at the pools in the past when we have overheard families talking about going back to their resort soon (a different one than the one they are currently swimming at). We have notified lifeguards who just kind of shrug or act like they are going to take care of it - and nothing. The family stays put. It can be very frustrating.
With all due respect, if it really bothers you that much, find a manager. The Lifeguards have far more important things to worry about.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #40
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Have noticed that since FW upgraded their pool, loungers seem to be easier to find @ WL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
We have been asked for ID at the OKW pool - and a room ID is a must at BCV. I personally don't see the excitement in pool hopping. We can barely get everything together and find the time to spend quality time in our resort pool, much less haul all of our stuff to another pool.
we've never bothered either, just seemed to be too much work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Wow... I didn't even know I could do this!
I've always wondered what the pool at the Poly is like. I'm going to be at AKL...if I have a free day, is it worth checking out? Or is the pool at Jambo better anyway?
Can't pool hop to AK or SAB. The volcano pool at the poly is cleverly themed but it's small & always packed when we stroll thru the grounds prior to dining there.

perhaps the new wristbands could be set up to better police entrance to pool areas.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #41
circhead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT View Post
Wow... I didn't even know I could do this!
I've always wondered what the pool at the Poly is like. I'm going to be at AKL...if I have a free day, is it worth checking out? Or is the pool at Jambo better anyway?
The pool at the Poly is always crowded - nice but crowded. The pool at Jambo is wonderful and if you're traveling with kids go to the one at Kidani. Has a water park area - beautiful pool - zero entry depth.

Was at AKV in August - watched the movie they were showing that night from inside the pool - Heaven in August.

I personally prefer the quiet pool at VWL to the main pool.

To the OP - I travel with my sister quite often - we are both in our fifties.
When we were younger stupid arguments about stupid things - she gets up at the crack of dawn and wants to get moving - me I like to lounge around and take my time I'm on vacation, very difficult to have such varying styles off property with only 1 car - can't meet up easily later.

Now that I own DVC we stay on property and she gets up and going in the morning does what she wants and meets me either at the hotel or in a park later in the day. I don't want to spend every waking moment in the parks - I like to enjoy the resorts.

Good luck, have a great vacation - and I hope you can work things out with your sister - not for this vacation but going forward.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #42
JKMJ441724
Um, I'm going to go with "NO."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvjw View Post
I personally don't see the excitement in pool hopping.
The only time we've done it was when my sister decided at the last minute to come on the trip with us. Because it was so late in the game, I could not get her a reservation at the same resort we were staying. But we wanted to spend one day swimming.

JKMJ441724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #43
dsneygirl
My little pirate is here
The mixed drinks always tasted yummy to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyB2006 View Post

Only once have I seen the recreation staff come around and check room cards (other than at SAB) it was at the Poly and they most certainly did ask people to leave.

I also once witnessed a woman go absolutely insane when denied entry to the pool at BC/YC and security was called.
FW 1980, 1984, 1988, DxL 1992, Canada Pavillon CM July 1997-July 1998, (Met DH at the BeaverTails shack) Off site Feb 1999 Engaged at Cindy's Sept 2000, DL GC Feb 2001, POFQ Sept 2001, Poly June 2002, Off site March 2003, FW Hallowe'en 2003, GF Xmas 2003, DisneyLand Oct 2004, FW May 2005 Joined DVC June 2005 SSR Oct 2005, OKW Dec 2005, DLH Mar 2006,DS's 1st Trip BCV & CBR Oct 2006, VWL & POR Dec 2006, BCV & POR May 2007, BWV & ASM Aug 2007, SSR Oct 2007 VWL Dec 2007, AKL/VWL Sept 2008, March 2009 Pop/BCV, Disney Wonder and AKV/BCV May 2009, AKL/VWL Sept 2009, OKW Dec 2009,Mar 2010 Disney Wonder and BLT, May 2010 AKL, Aug 2010 VWL/BCV,Dec 2010 AKL, Feb 2011 Disney Dream/VWL, May 2011 BLT, Sept 2011 VGC, Oct 2011 SSR, Aulani June 2012, BCV/VWL Sept 2012, AKV/BLT Sept 2013, Dec 2013 VWL/DisneyDream, Nov 2014 VGC
(me)(DH)(DS 7) (DS 2)

dsneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #44
Sur
Love the Dis

Why not learn what the rules are, then work within them? I was unsure of how transfers worked, asked, now I know and will work with it accordingly. I don't understand stressing yourself out doing otherwise. Maybe it's because I'm old and don't have the energy anymore to buck a system.
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #45
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I truly wish that Disney enforced this rule. But it seems to be too hard for them. Maybe it's time they fenced in the more 'visited' pools. I know that the one time we stayed at the Polynesian, it was August, and it was hot/humid. We really wanted to spend time at the pool. But almost every time we went, it was way too crowded, so we stuck to the quiet pool outside our longhouse.
There was the one time though, that as my dh, my dd and I walked around, looking for a spot to sit that would allow us to keep an eye on our dd (then 9), we could find nothing. I did overhear a large family (wasn't hard to do since they were so boistrous) commenting that they might think about paying to actually stay here the next time...the pool was way nicer than the Hampton Inn's pool where they were staying. Really aggravated me since they had taken up about 8 lounge chairs and 3 tables with all their stuff. A bit later, a lifeguard did come around, asking to see room keys. That dad stood his ground and said that they didn't have them with them, they were in the room. Well, how are you going to get back into your room sir? the lifeguard asked. Dad had no answer. The lifeguard told them that if they couldn't produce a room key, for the Polynesian, they would have to pack up and leave. Man, that family was peeved.

I've been at BW's Luna Park pool area when we have been asked to show room keys. I have no problem showing it. I wish they would do a sweep every hour or so on the weekends!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: