Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Rumor: Hogwarts Express and Gringrotts Coaster plans leaked

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/universa...rry_Potter.htm

Quote:
Rumored details about Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion have been shared by Theme Park Insider. The site says they have seen detailed plans for the expansion and are now sharing what they've seen. Most of the information seems to be on par with rumors that have been circulating since word of the expansion came out. According to the site, here's what we can expect in this new land.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is located at Universal's Islands of Adventure, but the plan for the expansion is to open the second area in Universal Studios and then connect the two with a train, the Hogwarts Express. Because the train would take you to the other park, a ticket location will be set up in the train station, allowing guests to upgrade to a park-to-park ticket before boarding the train. The new area will be themed like Diagon Alley, the street where Hogwarts students purchase their wizarding supplies. Diagon Alley will be hidden from the rest of the park behind facades of London landmarks; in the books, the street is located behind a pub, The Leaky Cauldron, with a secret entrance known only to wizards. The Leaky Cauldron will function as the area's restaurant; the secret entrance will be in a train station next to the eatery. Snacks can also be found at Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour.

Diagon Alley will feature multiple levels for guests to explore, with train tracks rising above the area, stairways and tall buildings. Click link for more details.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

If true it's an interesting plan...

In Disney news...wonder when they'll be putting in the American idol experience 2.0?
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Lol! Who really wants the guests? Universal gives more great Potter, Disney spends a billion on wrist bands. Wow!
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Lol! Who really wants the guests? Universal gives more great Potter, Disney spends a billion on wrist bands. Wow!
Rumored wristbands, they may not really exist! it may take as long to unveil the magicband as it is taking to build the mine train.

Edited after reading the story:
According to that release, it is possible that this whole new land could open BEFORE the mine train! That would be amazing.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook

Rumored wristbands, they may not really exist! it may take as long to unveil the magicband as it is taking to build the mine train.

According to that release, it is possible that this whole new land could open BEFORE the mine train! That would be amazing.
Actually...this is another developing theory in my conspiratorial mind.

It seems to me that Disney is INTENTIONALLY drawing out their construction timelines.

Why? So they can always have something under construction to make it appear that it's the "same old, high quality Disney"

But it's not...these projects aren't amazingly ambitious based on some of what is being done in competitors parks...the gap has closed.
And Disney is not being inventive...no new technologies. Basically people mover technology they've had for decades and third party designed off the shelf ride systems.

Is there theming better/more time consuming? Yes...but not to this extent. Work a night shift every now and then and get it done.

They are always reinvesting...but no urgency to get it done as with the original Walt Disney days.

A smoke screen.

Just a theory.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
bearloch
DIS Veteran

this is off topic but speaking of Harry how come the movies are made by universal? shown on Disney channels only!! but again rides are at universal??
always kind of baffled me!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearloch View Post
this is off topic but speaking of Harry how come the movies are made by universal? shown on Disney channels only!! but again rides are at universal??
From what I remember hearing, WDW and Universal were both trying to secure the rights to HP. I think JK Rowling was negotiating with Disney but she wanted control over what was done with the rights so she went to Universal.

I remember it being a sticking point that she didn't want any real characters portrayed. You'll see non-descript representations of Hogwarts students etc. but no name characters.

I'm sure someone can correct me if any of this is wrong.

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
lvcourtneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearloch View Post
universal didnt make the movies WB did..uni bought the theme park rights kind of like disney buying the tv rights

this stuff happens more than you think
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Isn't Disney going to hide some RID readers near the entrance to the Universal Parks? Disney guests who go to Universal will have their FP+ and hard to get dining ADRs canceled.

Universal hotels, including hotel restaurants, far exceed Disney hotels. Can be hundreds of dollars a night cheaper then Disney deluxe. Posters complain comparing the prices with the Disney value resorts.

Quote:
It seems to me that Disney is INTENTIONALLY drawing out their construction timelines.
To some extent. My understanding is Universal is doing construction 24/7 (maybe not literally). Disney has no reason to push. Universal closed an entire section. It's probably takes more time when you're doing construction near guest areas.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
Isn't Disney going to hide some RID readers near the entrance to the Universal Parks? Disney guests who go to Universal will have their FP+ and hard to get dining ADRs canceled.

Universal hotels, including hotel restaurants, far exceed Disney hotels. Can be hundreds of dollars a night cheaper then Disney deluxe. Posters complain comparing the prices with the Disney value resorts.

To some extent. My understanding is Universal is doing construction 24/7 (maybe not literally). Disney has no reason to push. Universal closed an entire section. It's probably takes more time when you're doing construction near guest areas.
Oh my!
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
Dznefreek
R.I.P Bruce

Work on Transformers 3D was around the clock to have it open in a year. I believe Potter expansion is not going on 24/7.
Lets not forget Uni is also moving ahead with the Springfield expansion for the Simpsons including shops and a spinner type ride

I agree with the drawn out timeline for construction. What was it 2 1/2 to 3 years for the current FLE and for me at least; underwhelming.
Dznefreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post

Disney has confirmed the Magicbands and has already revealed the bands themselves to pass holders. There is just no word when they will be actually released for guest use. But each band will be water proof and hold all your ticket and room key information for you. There is also an opt out part where you can still you a regular card ticket. The bands will come in different colors and will be included for disney resort guests and non resort guests can purchase them in the parks for an extra fee. Many if not all the people I have talked to have said this spring or early summer the bands will be out and in full force.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #13
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rteetz View Post
Disney has confirmed the Magicbands and has already revealed the bands themselves to pass holders. There is just no word when they will be actually released for guest use. But each band will be water proof and hold all your ticket and room key information for you. There is also an opt out part where you can still you a regular card ticket. The bands will come in different colors and will be included for disney resort guests and non resort guests can purchase them in the parks for an extra fee. Many if not all the people I have talked to have said this spring or early summer the bands will be out and in full force.
I know, I was kidding. But since the big reveal in December and early January, there has been virtually nothing reported. As if it was all just a dream. A quarter of the year has passed and not a peep.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post

I know, I was kidding. But since the big reveal in December and early January, there has been virtually nothing reported. As if it was all just a dream. A quarter of the year has passed and not a peep.
I know but they had just put them out at the pass holder ticket exchange this week where the annual pass holders can go switch their tickets to the new tickets but the bands weren't available to use just yet I'm hearing it will only be a matter of a month or two until there are out in full force.

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer

Let's face it, Disney have been under investing in their parks for years and were certainly complacent. HP changed that as shareholders expressed concern over flatline growth compared to Universals HP boom (albeit from a lower level)

To some extent I think Disney were 'forced' into new park investment, although its great they they are finally doing it. However the slow rate is quite bewildering, and at times it does look like Disney is happy with a slower pace (it gives the impression they're busy!)

But with Avatar 'Land' unlikely to be ready until 2017, I for one would love them to Pull their thumbs out their behind and get cracking with a new Star Wars land. IMO this should really be a focus for them given they now own the franchise and the new movie plans are in such an advanced stage.
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: