Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #1
pocomom
Brr.....

non-candy easter basket ideas ?

Trying to make a candy free easter basket for my 11 year old (and no, I'm not mean...health reasons) Her siblings are easy because they are still little so bubbles, chalk. small toys etc., I have more than enough for both of them.
DD is kind of a nerdy kid, which I say in the most loving way... Not into boys or the teen scene, yet she's outgrown most toys. I need some inexpensive Easter ideas, I can think of a ton of over budget ideas. She is not into makeup with the exception of nail polish, and doesn't like girly girl things.. she would rather read in her free time. She does archery, horseback riding, skiing, fencing and swims competively which takes up most of her free time. I think she is over Lego's largely, but she does like designing and drawing clothes, rooms and houses. She likes money and gift cards, but of course I could spend a fortune on those with her basket still looking lame compared to her siblings. We do fill the plastic Easter eggs with coins for our Egg Hunt. I can't find any new books that she would like, she's into things like Harry Potter and Lightening Thief. Here's what I've gotten so far :

new hairbrush
couple bottles of nail polish
Seed packets for flowers
new pair of swim googles
And even those were at a higher per-item cost then most of her siblings things.... Love to figure out some $1-$3 dollar items or ... Ideas?
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Maybe some DVDs or art supplies? A small journal and some gel pens, gum and books.
My DD wants the bunny to bring her cowboy boots! She knows there is no bunny as she's a teen, but I am going to put them in an Easter basket!
Register to remove

Old 03-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Tallent
Mouseketeer

my 11 year old dd is getting:

goggles
a few dvds (the clique, summer 11, and another I can't remember)
an itunes gift card
dollar bills in a few eggs with a bigger bill in a special egg
a new skin for her itouch ( a bunny with tails and a pom tail)
a mini hipster

The skin wasn't very much at all (five or under I'd say) and 1 or 2 of the dvds were under 10. Have fun shopping!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
wallawallakids
DIS Veteran

I was really looking for affordable options this year for our four kids that did not include a ton of candy. So I made art baskets. They came out super cute. I saw the idea in a magazine. Anyway they used empty paint cans as the baskets. Then I filled them with crayons, markers, erasers, coloring books, workbooks, color wonder Disney pages, stickers, colored pencils, paints, and paper. The best thing was that Target had a huge sale and most of it was really inexpensive. Even the color wonder books were on sale. In the end I spent less then $20 a kid and I am really pleased with how cute they turned out. Plus they can use all of it on the drive down to Grandma's Easter day and on the plane when we leave for our cruise in a few weeks. My 11 year old loves crafts so that was what made me think the idea might work well for your DD too.

(Me and DH), (DD12), (DS11), (DS7),(DD7) &
wallawallakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Check out the Target Dollar Spot too. I got my DD a cute "Yellow Duck" luggage tag. I also got her nail polish, earrings and a bag of pistachios.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
swebb0310
Mouseketeer

They may not have many or any anymore, but at the Disney store they had mickey and Minnie stuffed folks dressed up as the bunnies. They were 7.50 with a purchase of 25$ and I think 12$ or so by themselves.
swebb0310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallakids View Post
I was really looking for affordable options this year for our four kids that did not include a ton of candy. So I made art baskets. They came out super cute. I saw the idea in a magazine. Anyway they used empty paint cans as the baskets. Then I filled them with crayons, markers, erasers, coloring books, workbooks, color wonder Disney pages, stickers, colored pencils, paints, and paper. The best thing was that Target had a huge sale and most of it was really inexpensive. Even the color wonder books were on sale. In the end I spent less then $20 a kid and I am really pleased with how cute they turned out. Plus they can use all of it on the drive down to Grandma's Easter day and on the plane when we leave for our cruise in a few weeks. My 11 year old loves crafts so that was what made me think the idea might work well for your DD too.
Those sound super cute!
Old 03-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Michaels and AC Moore have little art kits for $1. I like the perler beads ones--they have the pegboard, beads, and the ironing paper in them.

Otherwise, maybe some chapstick or lip gloss, a mini flashlight. I'd hit up the Dollar Tree and see what they have.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
pocomom
Brr.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
Maybe some DVDs or art supplies? A small journal and some gel pens, gum and books.
My DD wants the bunny to bring her cowboy boots! She knows there is no bunny as she's a teen, but I am going to put them in an Easter basket!
Cute pens would be great for my dd. Thanks for the idea. My older girls both know about Santa, Easter bunny and whatnot but I still pretend to not know what they are talking about. My mom actually started it, still won't admit anything

Last edited by pocomom; 03-24-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #10
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

My dd 9 is getting:
$10 itunes gift card
Large book of Suduko puzzles
Light up toy
hair ties
A few pieces of chocolate

That's it!

Our baskets are pretty small - doesn't take too much to fill them.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

Walmart had frisbees for $0.97, since the OP is looking for inexpensive ideas. They also had some water-balloons for the same price and it included a faucet filler thing. I bought those for DD, her boyfriend, and another person who they hang around with. I figured that might be a fun way to take a break during exams!

Can you pick up any small lotions/potions at Bath and Body works?

My last idea - does your DD use any "hair things" i.e. pony tail holders, headbands etc - I find those to be nice "stocking stuffer" ideas.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #12
Taylor'sMom
Wish I was there...

In addition to the swim goggles, what about flip flops (cheap at Old Navy) and a beach towel ($6 or less, Target or Wal-Mart) and sunglasses. In the Target $ bins I found a waterproof pouch for a cell phone/iPod/money. Perfect if she's a swimmer.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

What about using a beach bag to put all of her Easter goodies in?

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
pantherlj
DIS Veteran

What about non candy food items that you don't normally buy? My 13 yr old loves Nutella but will eat a jar in a few days so I don't buy often I am in the middle of packing our house for an upcoming move and am kicking myself for buying all those $2 junk items just to have something to fill an easter basket or stocking! They are all going in the trash or to good will never touched.

Mechanical pencils or nice pens for school
fun colored socks and/or shoelaces (popular with middle school here)
jump rope
hand sanitizer from bath and body workers
pantherlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
canadianjovigirl
DIS Veteran

My 12 year old hates chocolate and also isn't into make up. She's getting I tunes gift card, nail art pens, nail decals, baby lips lip tint, beef jerky, gum, a quiz book I found at walmart, sun glasses, and a few other candy items like suckers, gummies.

I skip all the cheap filler stuff as it ends up being a waste and go for quantity over quality as at that age they are aware of prices and what they like.

Last edited by canadianjovigirl; 03-24-2013 at 05:41 PM.
canadianjovigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: