Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #16
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushLRC View Post
We will call it ....an adventure

We love tent camping and we love Disney. I hope those 2 things help us power through the heat and rain without killing each other
we are pretty well oiled machines when it comes to our camping and to Disney. I'm sure with a few minor tweaks we can combine the 2 for a successful adventure.

We are towing a trailer down to haul as much creature comforts as possible. I plan to have 2 tent set ups, one for sleeping and one for a "living" area. Portable A.C. unit for sleeping and mini fridge is a must. Bringing our bikes. Packing clothes in plastic drawer storage bins instead of suitcases.
Now that's a movie plot in a first line! LOVE your opening statement!
And that "faith in the fam, we pull through" confidence!

At first, I thought our 'stuff' would be hauled in our new pop up, but we didn't buy...yet. Now I'm thinking along the lines of what you're planning. What kind of trailer? A cargo type?
Can you feel those things when loaded, behind you? Who else has done that, hauled stuff down, not rv. ?
Tips?

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
motherof4
Mouseketeer

We have a utility trailer to haul all our camping gear as we are a family of 6 with the kids being teens. My oldest is 17 and 6'2! Our trailer is 5x8 and my husband built a 3 foot box that sits inside, and bungy cord a thick tarp over the top. We paid around $1300 for the trailer. This will be our third season using it and it has come in handy for other things as well! Best investment we made as far as camping gear! Kids love it because we can haul their bikes!
motherof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #18
motherof4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
You were cold at night in August in FL?
I can see it being cold, as everything is damp and wet, so that alone would make it chilly! Just have to figure away to keep comforters dry? Thought about putting them in plastic bins, but if they get damp prior to going in bin that won't keep them dry? Any suggestions?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Readerbug
Using My Ears

Ahhh I like the idea of the trailer, just for the bikes! My six are 6 bike riders too many! About the comforters, if they are damp from humidity, how bout taking them to the dryers, bagging them up before boxing?
Don't really know. Humidity in Aug is hard to escape! And being cold is usually welcome

Me, DH edu IT man, 19, 17, 15, 13, 10, 7.
Readerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
ctpooh
Loving Pooh

We tent camped in August at the Fort 4 years and we would do it again if it was not for our 2 and 3 year old and there health issues. Remember a fan, and you can not lay around in the tent in the am, you have to be out and ready to hit the day early or the tent will heat up. Use the comfort station to put on your sunscreen or you will be a sweaty mess. You can nap in the afternoons as long as the fan is on and if you are able put a tarp at an angle up over your tent hanging from trees if possible as it will keep you a little more shaded and it will keep the ran off. Disney has awesome sites where when it rains the rain does not keep the ground wet, the crushed shells (or whatever it is soaks up the rain) so you do not need a tarp underneath your tent.
And just remember when you are setting up it will be hot, get through it and then go jump in the pool!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
motherof4
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the great tips!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #22
indimom
Are We There Yet?

We'll be tent camping July 20-24. We're only planning on bringing fans. But, we plan to shade/rain cover the entire tent with a large tarp and some extendable tent poles. We're hoping that will allow us to keep the screens open and air flow circulating without the risk of leakage during the frequent rain showers. Crosses fingers.

I'm only a little nervous about the heat and humidity.

If I come up with any tips or information during our trip that I think will help you, I'll be sure to post it here where you can find it!

Last edited by indimom; 03-27-2013 at 12:22 AM.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
MackenzieFL
Mouseketeer

Hello, FL resident & Disney tent camper here! You're going to be fine!

The plastic drawers/tote boxes are way better than bags & luggage.

Put a bucket of cheap charcoal in each tent to draw out some of the humidity at night. When it gets sloshy, change it. That + a fan help.

We use these little tent "ceiling fans" and everyone gets one of those water bottle fans to keep next to the bed in case they need a little help at night. I've never used the tent ACs but yeah, you definitely want something to cool the tents down.

We honestly don't spend a lot of time at the camp site... mornings are beautiful but then it's off to the parks, or off to the pool. We eat out a lot or instead of BBQing we just go to Trail's End for a family fried chicken take-out dinner and eat it by the pool or at our camp.

The big thing is the weather-- as mentioned it is hurricane season. So that could mean nothing comes through or that could mean a big huge storm.

At the very least-- have extra tent stakes, ropes/bungees, and tarps. Lightweight tarps for extra tent protection when you go to the parks (it rains like EVERY afternoon around 4 or 5) and also good for throwing it on top of the sandy areas of the camp site to make a "path" to walk, makes for much less grit & dirt when you don't have to trek back and forth across wet sand.

You also want to batten down the hatches pretty good as it can get pretty windy-- you don't want to come home and see your tent half blown over itself.

Ask for loop 1500, it's right across from the big pool. Saves a lot of back & forth time.

If a serious storm is coming they say they bring everyone into somewhere, I forget where, but you can bring in your sleeping bags/air mattresses and stuff but the truth is we've never had that actually happen to us. But it's not like they'll leave you out there to fend for yourself if a tropical storm suddenly appears.

Last edited by MackenzieFL; 03-27-2013 at 05:18 PM. Reason: misspelling
MackenzieFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #24
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

We were there during Tropical Storm Fay a few years ago. Whether tenters were advised to leave, I do not know, but almost all of them did - as did pop ups. The partial sites were almost completely empty.

We would have left, but would have been in the path of the storm, so felt it was better to stay. We also were in a MH, and every day they left us an 'advisory' keeping us abreast of developments. They said if the 'sustained' winds got over 35mph they would put us in one of the hotels and we could take our MH there.

There was water everywhere in the campground - actually lakes! There was downed branches and twigs - that would be the greatest fear with canvas! Anyway, we were fine, as the winds 'gusted' to 35mph & more, but were not sustained.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
MattFromPA
Earning My Ears

We tent camped at FW last November, and had a great time! Now we didn't have much heat, humidity or rain to contend with.

One thing another poster said isn't right, or at least it wasn't for me - I found that I really did need to have a tarp under the tent. The sites are mostly crushed shells and sand - but when tearing down I found that the tarps under our tent were wet from the previous day's rain. I wound up throwing away those tarps as loads of sand, etc had stuck to them. But, they saved the actual tent bottom from getting wet. It was a little damp, but not so much that I had to set the thing back up when we got home. I think I toweled off the bottom before stuffing the tent into its bag.

We bought a 'camp kitchen' table with a built-in shallow sink. Great investment. It was really handy to have a working sink for washing and cooking. Wouldn't tent camp without it again.
MattFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
motherof4
Mouseketeer

Great tips guys! The one item we have is a plastic 4 drawer tower that we use in our kitchen tent. In the top drawer we put a platic cutlery holder and that's for our cutlery. Next drawer is our plates and bowls. Then the next is for cups and mugs and then the last one is for mixing bowls and bigger items. We have had it for over 5 years so has held up great and it really makes my kitchen tent feel like a kitchen. I have seen the sink and table set up and thought I would love that, it is almosr $200 dollars here in Ontario! The other item I have seen that I would love is the Coleman oven, the smell of hot out of the oven chocolate chip cookies lingering down the campsites, yummy!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #27
MattFromPA
Earning My Ears

Here is the table we have: http://www.kotulas.com/deals/sports-...h-faucet-small

Look for a 'fish cleaning' table rather than camp kitchen, etc.
MattFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
MushLRC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackenzieFL View Post
Hello, FL resident & Disney tent camper here! You're going to be fine!

The plastic drawers/tote boxes are way better than bags & luggage.

Put a bucket of cheap charcoal in each tent to draw out some of the humidity at night. When it gets sloshy, change it. That + a fan help.

We use these little tent "ceiling fans" and everyone gets one of those water bottle fans to keep next to the bed in case they need a little help at night. I've never used the tent ACs but yeah, you definitely want something to cool the tents down.

We honestly don't spend a lot of time at the camp site... mornings are beautiful but then it's off to the parks, or off to the pool. We eat out a lot or instead of BBQing we just go to Trail's End for a family fried chicken take-out dinner and eat it by the pool or at our camp.

The big thing is the weather-- as mentioned it is hurricane season. So that could mean nothing comes through or that could mean a big huge storm.

At the very least-- have extra tent stakes, ropes/bungees, and tarps. Lightweight tarps for extra tent protection when you go to the parks (it rains like EVERY afternoon around 4 or 5) and also good for throwing it on top of the sandy areas of the camp site to make a "path" to walk, makes for much less grit & dirt when you don't have to trek back and forth across wet sand.

You also want to batten down the hatches pretty good as it can get pretty windy-- you don't want to come home and see your tent half blown over itself.

Ask for loop 1500, it's right across from the big pool. Saves a lot of back & forth time.

If a serious storm is coming they say they bring everyone into somewhere, I forget where, but you can bring in your sleeping bags/air mattresses and stuff but the truth is we've never had that actually happen to us. But it's not like they'll leave you out there to fend for yourself if a tropical storm suddenly appears.
Thank you for the local reassurance that we will be fine

I am a researcher and a planner so even though there will be things to overcome I am sure we can make it all work as long as we are prepared.

As far as the trailer we plan to take I don't know for sure yet. We were going to rent a uhaul trailer but are seriously looking to buy a gently used one. I see this being a great asset for future trips as well. Thinking a roughly 4x8 enclosed trailer but we are open for what ever the good lord puts in our path. Keeping our eyes open now to get it before the trip.

MushLRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #29
MushLRC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromPA View Post
Here is the table we have: http://www.kotulas.com/deals/sports-...h-faucet-small

Look for a 'fish cleaning' table rather than camp kitchen, etc.
That looks totally cool!!

Old 03-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #30
MushLRC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indimom View Post
We'll be tent camping July 20-24. We're only planning on bringing fans. But, we plan to shade/rain cover the entire tent with a large tarp and some extendable tent poles. We're hoping that will allow us to keep the screens open and air flow circulating without the risk of leakage during the frequent rain showers. Crosses fingers.

I'm only a little nervous about the heat and humidity.

If I come up with any tips or information during our trip that I think will help you, I'll be sure to post it here where you can find it!
Okay so you will be there before me If you can please come back to this thread and let us know how it all goes for you. Pictures of your camp set up is a plus as well

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: