Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
dminnie
DIS Veteran

help me understand Pepper Market

I'm staying at CSR for the first time and we're down to just wondering what the Pepper Market is like? I keep seeing conflicting comments about whether it's a good set up.

Is the food good?

Is 10% automatically added to your bill? Are you expected to tip on top of the 10%?

What do the servers really do for you? I've read they just help you find a table and bring you drinks. Well, we just drink water. Do they really get a tip and they don't even bring you the food? So, for us would we be paying a 10% upcharge just to get help finding a table?

I've also read that you can get it "to go" and not pay the additional 10%. Are there a lot of tables outside that you could bring it to? Do they frown upon people getting it as take out?

What to you like and/or dislike about the system they have?

Thanks!
dminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #2
Maleficent Dragon
Member Since 2004; lost previous login details

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminnie View Post
I'm staying at CSR for the first time and we're down to just wondering what the Pepper Market is like? I keep seeing conflicting comments about whether it's a good set up.
It is easy to figure out where everything is. It is a bit different than other food courts, but not overly confusing. They stamp a card and then that is what you take with you to pay.

Is the food good?
We have dined here about 5 times and tried different things and we were VERY underwhelmed. Some items we didnt even eat half of to go get something to eat in the park.

Is 10% automatically added to your bill? Are you expected to tip on top of the 10%? Nothing additional.

What do the servers really do for you? I've read they just help you find a table and bring you drinks. Well, we just drink water. Do they really get a tip and they don't even bring you the food? So, for us would we be paying a 10% upcharge just to get help finding a table? Sit you at your table and refill your drinks (which you can do yourself)

I've also read that you can get it "to go" and not pay the additional 10%. Are there a lot of tables outside that you could bring it to? Do they frown upon people getting it as take out? There are tables outside by the lake; I dont recall more than 6 or 7 of them. It has been a while. They do not frown on to-go.

What to you like and/or dislike about the system they have? Our family didnt care for this place at all.

Thanks!
We haven't been here in a few years. If things have changed, I am sure somebody will come along and give more current information.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
720L
DIS Veteran

We didn't love it either. That might be because I was expecting a lot from the way some people rave about it on the DIS. I do like the little "to go" store.....it was nice to be able to grab a quick something to eat.
(1988&1992ffsite) (1995:Dixie Landings) (1998: ASM) (2001:Disneyland) (2002:ASM) (2003 & 2004:Disneyland) (2005: POP) (2006: AKL & POP) (2007:POP,BC,CR) (2008: POP,AKL,CSR,ASMU,AKL) (2009: CSR ,POP,POLY,GF) (2010: DISNEYLAND DLH in June/ POP & BC in July/ POFQ for Thanksgiving) (April 1-8, 2011 AKL)(June 2011 POFQ)(October 13-16, 2011 Boardwalk) (June 2012 Disneyland/Carsland opening day!) (July 22, 2012-August 3, 2012 Disneyworld CSR & BC)(Christmas 2012 AOA)(:Spring Break April 2013 POP) (June 2013 AKL)(Thanksgiving 2013 Nov. 21-24 POP)(AKL!! June 2014)(AOA: October 2014)
720L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

I'm probably one of those rant and ravers that you are talking about.

1st off the food choices are similar to the food courts with a couple of exceptions. With a a few specialty stations.

If you're familiar with the Ford courts at the values and some mods then you're used to long lines and waits.
The great thing about the PM is that as soon as u get there you already have a seat. And drink will shortly follow. You can go up n order what u want without having to wait on a line to pay( while good gets cold) Nor do the look around once paid to locate a vacant table. ( more time for your food to get cold) a mere $5 or so is money well spent in the grand scheme of things. All the aggravation you save by having this done before you eat.and paying once u are done eating.

And yes you can take it outside to eat n save the money. To me its money well worth it.

Enjoy

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I don't know if they do it any different now than they use to but when we went to Pepper Market in October 2011 you picked your foods and got your card stamped, the waiter seated you and brought and refilled your drinks and bussed your table once you were gone. They do work for the tip even though it is not a standard 20% tip. It is only 10%. They do as much work as a server at a buffet. We were on the dining plan and they didn't add anything to our bill. We were expected to leave a tip on our own. Which is not a good thing because there are plenty of ppl out there when left to tip on their own are just too cheap to part with a few bucks and stiff the waiter. I think if a 10% tip put me off I would just avoid this place altogether. But we all liked the food there. I appreciated not having to try and find our own table because if it is busy and you are carrying food, it is just easier to have a table to go to.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
SendLessRain
I always want a happy ending

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminnie View Post

Is the food good? Reasonably. Not as fresh later in the evening as it is during meal times. Lots of things are made to order. Breakfast is good, as it's fresh. We like having the choices, as DH and I eat different things.

Is 10% automatically added to your bill? Are you expected to tip on top of the 10%? 10% is automatically added, you do not have to tip beyond that.

What do the servers really do for you? I've read they just help you find a table and bring you drinks. Well, we just drink water. Do they really get a tip and they don't even bring you the food? So, for us would we be paying a 10% upcharge just to get help finding a table? The hosts meet you at the entrance. They find a table for you, give you a menu, if you need it. The servers will come along and get your beverage requests. While you are off getting your food, they will drop your beverages off at your table. They will probably check on you at least once during your meal and refill drinks. They bus your dishes after you're done, so you don't have to worry about that. I think that's all worth 10%. You wouldn't get that at any other moderate resort.

I've also read that you can get it "to go" and not pay the additional 10%. Are there a lot of tables outside that you could bring it to? Do they frown upon people getting it as take out? You can get it to go (w/o the gratuity), and they don't frown on that. There's lots of space outside to eat (just about anywhere, just please be sure to clean up after yourselves and dispose of your trash accordingly).

What to you like and/or dislike about the system they have? We like that it's convenient, and allows us to see and get all the choices we want with our food. We also like the food. We're also glad it went back to an a la carte, rather than a buffet (we're not buffet fans).

Thanks!
Have a great time!!!
SendLessRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
ibcindyb
Earning My Ears

I loved Pepper Market when it was a buffet, I only ate there for breakfast. Now that it has changed, I found it annoying to wait in line for my food and the cast member was cooking and serving. The tip was a moot point for me, I added to it. My server was very attentive and kept my coffee full.

My next reservation at CSR is business class, I can have a continental breakfast included with my room cost.

Pepper Market serves brown and serve sausage and because the cast member was cooking and serving the french toast was not left in the egg mixture long enough so it was pretty dry.
ibcindyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

I thought the food was good--better than most WDW food court fare--but as PPers have noted, it IS still food court fare. It is very fresh and prepared only to order. This also means it takes a bit longer. The server brings your food, your drinks and clears the table-*you* do the ordering. The server was not a big deal for me either way. I did like not having to contend with messy lines and little kids at refillable mug stations.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

We like the place. We really enjoyed it's short ride as a buffet but do also like the opportunity to order what we want and take it back to the room. We found most of the food as good as to better than most food courts. You do have to wait for them to give you a table. They do bring and refill drinks. We have had great waiters there that we tipped well, and one or two we barely saw and we did not tip at all. We find that on the DDP, the 10% tip is not always added and there has been some confusion on how to pay the tip. We love CSR and the we find the only other CS place very crowded and very limited choices so we do eat at PM quite a bit when we are there.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

As another poster brought up the to go store, I wanted to mention that it is very small. When we stayed at CSR over Spring Break last year we couldn't even get in the place in the morning. So if you end up not liking the Pepper Market it may not be as simple as just grabbing food from the to go store. I'm not sure why it is so darned tiny, but it is. Way too small for a resort the size of CSR.

My family loved the Pepper Market. Plenty of selection, and the food is hot and fresh as most of it is made right when you order it. One of my nieces wanted to have the quesadillas every night.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

We stay at csr all the time. We are not fans of PM food. We have always gotten it to go and eaten on the tables outside. I would say there are like 15 tables at least spread around the lake there. We got breakfast a few times and the deluxe breakfast platter was awful, twice. Idk why I got it twice lol. The eggs were crumbly and awful and the meats were dry, potatoes flavorless. The giant mickey waffle was good. We looked around for dinner options and found them awful so we didnt try dinner. We don't rely on our food court for food bc we have a rental car and lots of other options elsewhere.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
dminnie
DIS Veteran

OP here...we only wound up going there one time. We got it as take out...partially to avoid paying the extra 10% and also since we just wanted to kick back in our room. It had been a long day, including a visit to urgent care.

DS got a bacon cheeseburger, DD and DH had the veggie burger and I had the chicken dinner. From everyone's comments, mine was probably the best, but I think everyone liked what they got. I noticed that they had a sign that the chicken was the house specialty...that's usually a good sign to order something and it proved to be a good choice. Really it was enough that two people could have easily shared it.

It took a while to pay for the food which was a bit irritating. There were several people standing around with nothing to do. One person was refilling a bunch of resort mugs and apparently she was the only one who could ring anyone up.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
dminnie
DIS Veteran

Also...thanks to this site, we knew we could get it "to go" and not pay the extra 10%. We usually just drink water from our own water bottles, so I think we would not have been happy to pay a tip just for someone helping to point out a table for us.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

If you bring your refillable mug, who fills it? Is there a drink station that I am allowed to go to?
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: