Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #511
Monie3
Mouseketeer

There truly are so many wonderful people in this world! Next question! Has anyone done the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween? Christopher is REALLY getting excited about Halloween and trick or treating. I don't know anything about it. I know they also celebrate at GKTW, so is it worth it? I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #512
disneybirthday
Earning My Ears

New to Boards! MAW trip dates confirmed!!!!

Hi all! We are new to the Disboards, and also new to the Make a Wish Foundation. My little sister has recieved a wish trip to Walt Disney World!!! She suffers from severe seizures and has since she was 6 mths old, she is now 14yrs old. She officially recieved her trip dates this week which also happen to fall during her birthday!!!!! Couldn't ask for anything better to make her smile!
Just wanted to get in on the fun here and learn all we can before she sets out on her journey:-) Thanks for any help in advance!
disneybirthday is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #513
4pmama
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneybirthday View Post
Hi all! We are new to the Disboards, and also new to the Make a Wish Foundation. My little sister has recieved a wish trip to Walt Disney World!!! She suffers from severe seizures and has since she was 6 mths old, she is now 14yrs old. She officially recieved her trip dates this week which also happen to fall during her birthday!!!!! Couldn't ask for anything better to make her smile!
Just wanted to get in on the fun here and learn all we can before she sets out on her journey:-) Thanks for any help in advance!
Welcome!!! 🎉
So exciting that your sister is getting her wish! It sounds like you are a great support for her, and you are going with her on the trip, right? Siblings face so many hardships of their own, as I'm learning through the support group for my daughter's syndrome. You deserve major kudos. Great job being there for your sister! You rock!
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"] http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3134773 MAW Family! Caitlin Jeremy Ramona (4p-/Wolf-Hirschhorn Syndrome-WISH KID!) and Ezra (Ramona's wild baby bro) Going to WDW November 2013!
4pmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #514
Monie3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pmama View Post

Welcome!!! cdf89
So exciting that your sister is getting her wish! It sounds like you are a great support for her, and you are going with her on the trip, right? Siblings face so many hardships of their own, as I'm learning through the support group for my daughter's syndrome. You deserve major kudos. Great job being there for your sister! You rock!
So happy for you all. This is a wonderful place to share with people who truly care. Happy planning!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 AM   #515
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish

Quote:
Hooray for your sisters wish trip!!! Let the fun begin!!

I agree that siblings deserve tons of kudos for supporting their brother or sister during the medical issues and for all they miss out on.

I would be happy to answer questions!! Feel free to ask away!!!

Happy Planning!!

Madeline

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Last edited by Redwavess; 09-20-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #516
disneybirthday
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pmama View Post
Welcome!!! 🎉
Thank you for the kind words. I am much older of course but yes I will be joining in the fun. My lil sis came to be when she was about 16 mths old, and my family adopted her. We knew of her seizure issues then but as she grew she never learned to talk or anything normal so to speak. She is autistic and has moderate mental issues and of course the seizures, but she is the happiest 14 yr old alive! I am now 37 yrs old, and enjoy every minute I get to spend with her!! I am so looking forward to seeing her face light up when she sees Mickey for the first time!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #517
disneybirthday
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwavess View Post
Hooray for your sisters wish trip!!! Let the fun begin!!

I agree that siblings deserve tons of kudos for supporting their brother or sister during the medical issues and for all they miss out on.

I would be happy to answer questions!! Feel free to ask away!!!

Happy Planning!!

Madeline
"Thank you for the kind words. I am much older of course but yes I will be joining in the fun. My lil sis came to be when she was about 16 mths old, and my family adopted her. We knew of her seizure issues then but as she grew she never learned to talk or anything normal so to speak. She is autistic and has moderate mental issues and of course the seizures, but she is the happiest 14 yr old alive! I am now 37 yrs old, and enjoy every minute I get to spend with her!! I am so looking forward to seeing her face light up when she sees Mickey for the first time"
Copied the above post from another so that it makes a little more sense, we do have a large age difference between us.....lol

I do have a few questions however for anyone who can answer. ...
She was granted her wish for a week at GKTW from November 8-14. So I have been researching GKTW quite a bit and it seems amazing!
Is there somewhere specific I could maybe post our dates to find others who may be making wish trips at the same time? Also are there any specific things for those who have done this, that you found out after getting there, and just said WOW I wish someone would have told me that!! Also I have some detail questions about the wish granted itself is there a better place to ask those? Regarding specifically what type expenses I should prepare for outside of what they pay for, things like that?
I so love reading the boards! I have been to Disney many many times in my lifetime, no place makes me happier and I know it is going to be the same for her....this will be her very first time!!
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #518
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish

Quote:
I do have a few questions however for anyone who can answer. ...
She was granted her wish for a week at GKTW from November 8-14. So I have been researching GKTW quite a bit and it seems amazing!

Is there somewhere specific I could maybe post our dates to find others who may be making wish trips at the same time? Also are there any specific things for those who have done this, that you found out after getting there, and just said WOW I wish someone would have told me that!! Also I have some detail questions about the wish granted itself is there a better place to ask those? Regarding specifically what type expenses I should prepare for outside of what they pay for, things like that?
I so love reading the boards! I have been to Disney many many times in my lifetime, no place makes me happier and I know it is going to be the same for her....this will be her very first time!!
Hooray for a 1st time trip to Disney!!! I'm sure your sister will have a magical time!!

As far as expense go, our expense check covered all our expenses. We did eat breakfast and dinner at GKTW so that cut down on expenses!!

Another Wish Family just asked the same question (what do you wish you had know before your wish trip). Here is my respones:

Our #1 tip is keep in mind that Give Kids the World is a wonderful place full of great activities!! If we could do one thing differently we would have spent more time at Give Kids the World!! I mean we only got free Ice Cream once... come on that's pathetic!!!

Another important tip is if you want to go to all the parks you get free tickets to you will probably have to go to 2 parks in 1 day (unless you get more time in Florida than the standard time).

Tip 3 -- There are lots of really great restaurants but you need reservations for them, so I visited the food thread on the DIS and decided which restaurants we wanted to visit then scheduled reservations.

Tip 4 -- Give Kids the World suggested to us that we have breakfast before we leave and dinner when we get back since meals are free at Give Kids the World. That worked great for us.

Tip 5 -- Make a Plan -- Talk to everyone who is going to see what is on their must do list. Make a rough plan (that is flexible) which includes everyone must do's.

Tip 6 -- Read the Make a Wish Thread and Wish trip reports to use as resources.

Tip 7 -- Universal seems to really roll out the red carpet for many of the families who made Trip Reports (including my family) so save time for these parks if your family is interested in the attractions they have there.

I hope these help!!!

Make A Wish and Give Kids the World really is on top of everything so even if you don't have lots of time to plan or read trip reports they will walk you through everything!!!

Happy Planning,

Madeline

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #519
Monie3
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Hooray for a 1st time trip to Disney!!! I'm sure your sister will have a magical time!!

As far as expense go, our expense check covered all our expenses. We did eat breakfast and dinner at GKTW so that cut down on expenses!!

Another Wish Family just asked the same question (what do you wish you had know before your wish trip). Here is my respones:

Our #1 tip is keep in mind that Give Kids the World is a wonderful place full of great activities!! If we could do one thing differently we would have spent more time at Give Kids the World!! I mean we only got free Ice Cream once... come on that's pathetic!!!

Another important tip is if you want to go to all the parks you get free tickets to you will probably have to go to 2 parks in 1 day (unless you get more time in Florida than the standard time).

Tip 3 -- There are lots of really great restaurants but you need reservations for them, so I visited the food thread on the DIS and decided which restaurants we wanted to visit then scheduled reservations.

Tip 4 -- Give Kids the World suggested to us that we have breakfast before we leave and dinner when we get back since meals are free at Give Kids the World. That worked great for us.

Tip 5 -- Make a Plan -- Talk to everyone who is going to see what is on their must do list. Make a rough plan (that is flexible) which includes everyone must do's.

Tip 7 -- Universal seems to really roll out the red carpet for many of the families who made Trip Reports (including my family) so save time for these parks if your family is interested in the attractions they have there.

I hope these help!!!

Make A Wish and Give Kids the World really is on top of everything so even if you don't have lots of time to plan or read trip reports they will walk you through everything!!!

Happy Planning,

Madeline
Happy Planning!
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #520
terratalking
Earning My Ears

Madeline - those are GREAT tips! I am trying my best to just read and absorb everything around here too without feeling like i'm asking the same question a billion people have just asked!
LOVING all this info on this thread - and all of these boards!

terra

To read more about Kendall's story - check out her Facebook Page
Hope for Kendall
Or read more on my blog: Terra Talking

Kendall's MAW trip PTR - "Part of Her World"
terratalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #521
disneybirthday
Earning My Ears

Question about tickets?

I noticed someone mentioned something about spending more time in Florida than allotted by GKTW. Can anyone tell me what type of tickets we will recieve? Are they the tickets that expire within 14 days, or are they single day single park, or is it the tickets that never expire so that unused days can be used later? Thanks
Old 09-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #522
disneybirthday
Earning My Ears

Food/Meals at GKTW

What kind of food options will be available to us at GKTW? Like what is served for breakfast lunch dinner, or is it a set menu all the time? Also do we pay for any of the food at GKTW?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #523
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What kind of food options will be available to us at GKTW? Like what is served for breakfast lunch dinner, or is it a set menu all the time? Also do we pay for any of the food at GKTW?
Many people have posted info in this thread that answer most questions. You can also review the info at the start of the thread or read some of the trip reports. You can also review the GKTW site: http://www.gktw.org/pre/pdf/village-guide.pdf
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #524
2specialkids
Mouseketeer

Quote:
GKTW has several options available at each meal generally. Food is included in your stay. The volunteers are fantastic there and will help you out with anything you can think of.
Check out the different threads listed and go to GKTW's webpage. If you're really concerned by all means call them and ask. (Their number is on their webpage.)
We ate breakfast and dinner there almost every day. It saved us enough to do a special lunch for my son with his favorite characters. (We had an allotment of cash for food from MAW.)
You can always order pizza in the evening too. More than once we missed dinner and ordered pizza (free) to be sent to our villa.
First and foremost...ENJOY YOUR TRIP AND RELAX! (I know easier said than done )

Gracie's (Mikayla) Pre-Trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3146419
Trip dates are 9/26-10/2/13
Boo's (Nikolas) Trip Report starts on page 7 post#99
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2263732
2specialkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #525
2specialkids
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I hope these help!!!

Happy Planning,

Madeline
Excellent tips! I also have gotten on Disney & Universal websites to see what is happening while we are there so we can be sure to be in the right park to do special activities and events while we are there. I'm a huge planner so this helped me relax a bit about our trip and we can be sure to see all the things we are interested in, especially the seasonal things in each park.

Gracie's (Mikayla) Pre-Trip report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3146419
Trip dates are 9/26-10/2/13
Boo's (Nikolas) Trip Report starts on page 7 post#99
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2263732
2specialkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: