Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #301
spears2008
Earning My Ears

WISH accomodations for family of 9 + care giver?

My nephew will likely be taking a WISH trip to WDW next spring. My sis has 7 kids ages 2-11 (whew!) and will likely be bringing my nephew's full time care-giver for a total of 3 adults, 7 kids. Will my sister's family still be put in a 2 bedroom unit at GKTW, or are there larger accomodations available? Looking at the pictures of GKTW, I don't know how they could possibly fit in one unit. Any chance the WISH will put her up at Disney? or another resort? or house?

I'm hoping that my family can go at the same time to see my nieces and nephews experience WDW. We own DVC and I would love for my sisters family to be in the same resort. My sister has spoken to my nephew's doctors about the WISH trip, but hasn't contacted Make A Wish yet, so I have no idea if a Disney resort is an option. I'm needing to make my DVC reservations so that our preferred dates don't fill up, but my sis isn't motivated to move forward with the planning. She's just trying to make it through each day with 7 littles (4 of which have special needs of varying degrees).

Any idea of what accomodations Make A Wish provides for a huge family?
spears2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #302
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy

GKTW would give the family two villas for 4 bedrooms. Also just so you know the MAW dates are not given out far in advance. Usually families have 3 months notice , and the full process varies by chapter taking up to a year from application sometimes. Be patient and let your sister enjoy this process at her own pace.

Many chapters do not allow families to stay at a Disney resort due to the fees involved. GKTW is an experience all it's own and is the choice of the majority of children and their families. Especially for a family of this size!

Visiting the darkside yearly since 2004
Staying Club RPR or HRH
Threeboysandachickie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #303
Kktraylor
Mouseketeer

Ok, now that our trip is coming up in two months, I need outfit ideas. How can I make cheap shirts? Seven of them for one day all matching and then outfits for 3 kids the other days. My kiddos do NOT want to wear normal clothes. Lol
Old 05-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #304
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kktraylor View Post
Ok, now that our trip is coming up in two months, I need outfit ideas. How can I make cheap shirts? Seven of them for one day all matching and then outfits for 3 kids the other days. My kiddos do NOT want to wear normal clothes. Lol
You can ask on the creative board to have someone design free irons. Then you can iron on the shirts. I was just at Target today and they have plain tees for 3-5.00 each.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #305
uk mum
Earning My Ears

Hi ....we are heading to gktw on sunday will anyone one else be there at the same time as us ?? X
uk mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #306
erinalicia
Earning My Ears

New here

Hi! I'm Erin. My DH and I have 3 children. We just received confirmation from MAW that my son's Disney Wish was approved. We are looking at going to Disney World around Thanksgiving.

My oldest son, Aidan, had a near drowning accident just before he turned 2. He suffered an anoxic brain injury and is completely dependent on others for all of his care. He is non-verbal, does not crawl, walk, etc. He is completely tube fed. He has epilepsy, asthma and a slew of other issues.

While he wasn't able to express his wish to us, he loves his Disney movies and shows. Our 2 younger children are excited enough about Disney to make up for the excitement that Aidan doesn't show. We wanted to be able to do something fun and memorable with Aidan as a family because he misses out on a lot.

I just stumbled upon this forum last night so getting the hang of this, but I'm glad to have found it.
erinalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #307
Meeks23
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfoot93 View Post
I can't believe after a year of planning Trevs wish trip it is almost here!!! We lea e next weekend!!! We are getting SO excited! I can't wait for sunny and warm weather as it has been cold and rainy here.

Now to start making a list so we can start packing soon. The kids are excited about their first plane ride...I'm hoping they will sleep part of the 6 hour trip!

Jackie
WOO HOO!!!!! Hope your trip is super magical

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts4wdw View Post
Yep, we are excited!!! We, too, leave very soon. Our adventure begins on Thursday!!! We arrive at GKTW on Friday. I hope everything goes well. We are pretty much packed except for daily essentials and my dh's clothes (of course) ! The boys are missing the last day of school, so they really feel like they are getting away with something. I am ready to go!

YIPPIE!!!!!! have a wonderful trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kktraylor View Post
Looks like the money situation won't make it to where the whole family can go. We're now tryin to save up enough where they can at least go one day. We figured it'll be about $1000 to drive there Friday night. All go to Magic Kingdom on Saturday then my husband and the other four will drive back Sunday. My mom, myself, and my three will stay for the week. It's not what we wanted but it's better than nothing. Hopefully we can come up with the money to make at least this happen. :-(
I am so sorry that your whole family wasn't able to be included. You guys are in our thoughts that the rest of your plans work out for you *Hugs to you*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyto4Girlz View Post
We got an email from our wish granters this morning. We are booked at GKTW Sept 2 to Sept 8. Brianna doesn't know yet. Can't wait to see her after school to tell her.
WOOT WOOT!!!! Oh I bet she had the best day ever after hearing that news

I love all the scrapbooking ideas. Before I had kiddos I used to scrapbook (like stuff from High School and for friends)....I think I will have to pull out all my old supplies and start again Thanks for the great ideas and tips!!!
Meeks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #308
Meeks23
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk mum View Post
Hi ....we are heading to gktw on sunday will anyone one else be there at the same time as us ?? X
I hope your family has a blast!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia View Post
Hi! I'm Erin. My DH and I have 3 children. We just received confirmation from MAW that my son's Disney Wish was approved. We are looking at going to Disney World around Thanksgiving.

My oldest son, Aidan, had a near drowning accident just before he turned 2. He suffered an anoxic brain injury and is completely dependent on others for all of his care. He is non-verbal, does not crawl, walk, etc. He is completely tube fed. He has epilepsy, asthma and a slew of other issues.

While he wasn't able to express his wish to us, he loves his Disney movies and shows. Our 2 younger children are excited enough about Disney to make up for the excitement that Aidan doesn't show. We wanted to be able to do something fun and memorable with Aidan as a family because he misses out on a lot.

I just stumbled upon this forum last night so getting the hang of this, but I'm glad to have found it.
Hi Erin! Welcome We just received our flight info in the mail. We will be at GKTW over Thanksgiving this year... Nov 25-Dec 1....maybe we will see you there!!!
Meeks23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #309
Mommyto4Girlz
Mom to 4 Beautiful Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks23 View Post
WOOT WOOT!!!! Oh I bet she had the best day ever after hearing that news
Brianna went to school and told all her friends she was going to go and see all the Disney Princesses. She also had me make a countdown calender for my phone so she could countdown the days.. Now let all the planning begin.

Check Out My Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3114293
Mommyto4Girlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #310
taliasmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

Welcome! Different reasons, but our little peas are in the same pod, not easy momma! Bring your video cam, Talia reacted to Disneyland in ways we thought were long gone. I can't wait to get her to Florida! I'm sure Aidan will let you know how much he's enjoying it. Congrats on the wish!
taliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #311
Lilfoot93
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk mum View Post
We will be there the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia View Post

Welcome!! Everyone on this board has been very helpful! I hope you get the dates you want!

Now to start packing as we leave tomorrow night! Pray the kiddos sleep on the plane as it is a red eye! It seemed to take so long to get here yet at the same time it has come up so fast!

Jackie

TR: Trev's Star Wars MAW trip

Trevor DS 9 (wish kiddo) Allie DD 6 Kara DD 6
Lilfoot93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #312
Mommyto4Girlz
Mom to 4 Beautiful Girls

hints please

Hey! Update: Our flight times and info was recieved today. We fly down in the afternoon and then have an hr layover in ATL. Has anyone flown AirTran before...thought for a first time flyer with small children.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #313
NEmel
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyto4Girlz
Hey! Update: Our flight times and info was recieved today. We fly down in the afternoon and then have an hr layover in ATL. Has anyone flown AirTran before...thought for a first time flyer with small children.
We have flown Airtran from KC to Orlando. It went fine. Atlanta airport is huge so with just an hour you will have to hurry to your next gate. Take games, movies, & toys to keep them busy.
NEmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:55 PM   #314
uk mum
Earning My Ears

Hi lilfoot93 .....if you see a family with three girls one of which is in a pink wheelchair and a very tall man , that will be us !!!! X
uk mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #315
Mommyto4Girlz
Mom to 4 Beautiful Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEmel View Post

We have flown Airtran from KC to Orlando. It went fine. Atlanta airport is huge so with just an hour you will have to hurry to your next gate. Take games, movies, & toys to keep them busy.
Thanks. A couple friends of mine said to bring a stroller for the baby. Also do we have a good chance of sitting together?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: