Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Are the corridors at POFQ wide enough for a scooter on above ground levels?

We don't want to stay on the ground floor but will have a scooter so we wanted to know if we can get a room on the higher floors then use the elevators and drive the scooter to our room through the corridor. Are they wide enough for a basic scooter?

ME DH DS
Disneyland- hundreds of times
Disneyland Hotel 6/05,12/05
Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05
WDW 2/04, 6/05, 5/12, 10/14, 10/15
Port Orleans Riverside 2/04 & 6/05
All Star Movies Resort 5/12
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Port Orleans French Quarter 9/30/15
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Disney Fantasy 10/18/14 & 10/10/15
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

yes they are. But to make life easier- call and put in a request for a ground floor room. Make sure you note that it is because you will have an ECV. It won't be guaranteed of course, but might save you the hassle of using the elevator every time you go to or from your room.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
yes they are. But to make life easier- call and put in a request for a ground floor room. Make sure you note that it is because you will have an ECV. It won't be guaranteed of course, but might save you the hassle of using the elevator every time you go to or from your room.
I'm not too comfortable with a ground floor room after reading all of these threads about snakes, lizards etc... being found in rooms. I think I would feel a little better on higher ground

ME DH DS
Disneyland- hundreds of times
Disneyland Hotel 6/05,12/05
Disney Fairytale Wedding@Disneyland 6/05
WDW 2/04, 6/05, 5/12, 10/14, 10/15
Port Orleans Riverside 2/04 & 6/05
All Star Movies Resort 5/12
Coronado Springs 10/9/14
Port Orleans French Quarter 9/30/15
Disney Wonder 6/05
Disney Dream 4/12
Disney Fantasy 10/18/14 & 10/10/15
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
tjmj9801
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post

I'm not too comfortable with a ground floor room after reading all of these threads about snakes, lizards etc... being found in rooms. I think I would feel a little better on higher ground
When my mama was alive, I worried about elevators being down and her not being able to evacuate the building (or leave even in a non-emergent situation). I'd worry for you about that.
1/30/2011-2/6/2011-Saratoga Springs (First on-site stay!!)
Several previous trips (It's worth mentioning that I've become an on-site snob...)
tjmj9801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
If you read those threads, then please realize that snakes can slither through any air vent and lizards can climb walls so you might just encounter them on a second floor room as well. And that darn GEICO geeko seems to be able to get around quite well on an elevator .

Just saying that not being on the first floor is no guarantee you won't find critters in your room. And being on the first floor doesn't mean you will have critters in your room.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
chuckinthechat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8 View Post

And that darn GEICO geeko seems to be able to get around quite well on an elevator .
He really does, his luck with car tires however is not got at all
Old 03-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Just wanted to add my 2 cents I use a scooter and my last two trips we stayed @ BWI 3rd floor so I had to use the elevator to get to and from our room. I have requested a 1st floor this trip @ the Poly, looking forward to not having to use the elevator. I am slightly worried about critters but I do think the convienence will be worth it

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #8
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

I agree that having a room on the upper floors doesn't mean you won't have critters in your room. Pay more attention to how well your door seals when it closes. If you can see a big gap of daylight at the bottom of the door, that could be problematic as far as lizards getting in. Snakes are much less common in the rooms, but can happen at any height (after all, snakes climb trees, right?).

I've stayed on property for years, at all levels of accommodation. I haven't had a snake or a lizard in my room yet (knocking on wood).

Having traveled with both parents who at different times used ECV's, if you can avoid having to use elevators, you should. It's much easier that way.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmj9801 View Post
When my mama was alive, I worried about elevators being down and her not being able to evacuate the building (or leave even in a non-emergent situation). I'd worry for you about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
Just wanted to add my 2 cents I use a scooter and my last two trips we stayed @ BWI 3rd floor so I had to use the elevator to get to and from our room. I have requested a 1st floor this trip @ the Poly, looking forward to not having to use the elevator. I am slightly worried about critters but I do think the convienence will be worth it
These were exactly why I recommended a ground floor room. I remember a few months ago there was a power outage at one of the resorts. I wouldn't have wanted to be dependant on an elevator that day. And getting into and out of an elevator with an ECV is sometimes as much of a pain as getting on and off the buses.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
gigi1313
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
These were exactly why I recommended a ground floor room. I remember a few months ago there was a power outage at one of the resorts. I wouldn't have wanted to be dependant on an elevator that day. And getting into and out of an elevator with an ECV is sometimes as much of a pain as getting on and off the buses.
Are there any HA rooms on the upper floors? I would think it would be a fire hazard (not being able to evacuate)... if not, getting the scooter in the door might be a major hassle!

Having never seen a critter in or even near a ground floor room (other than love bugs), I would not risk my safety to avoid what may or may not slither in! (LOL).
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14DCL Magic May '14 DCL Dream August '14 DCL Fantasy Jan '15
gigi1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
Are there any HA rooms on the upper floors? I would think it would be a fire hazard (not being able to evacuate)... if not, getting the scooter in the door might be a major hassle!

Having never seen a critter in or even near a ground floor room (other than love bugs), I would not risk my safety to avoid what may or may not slither in! (LOL).
There are because being handicapped accessible doesn't mean the person has to be in a scooter or wheelchair all the time. A few years ago, my father needed a handicapped accessible room because he had to use the bars in order to take a bath or use the other bathroom facilities. But he could walk and he could have used the stairs in an emergency. My father-in-law had the same challenges. My husband was in a wheelchair for a short time due to gout but he could have used the stairs as well (it would have hurt but the alternative would have gotten him going very fast).
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: