Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #1
GaRedHead
Earning My Ears

Yacht Club, bus system, so give it to me straight

So just how bad is the bus system at the Yacht Club? We will be there 8/19-8/25. We will use the buses for Magic Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon and Downtown Disney I'm sure. Will walk to Epcot. I think I have heard horror stories about trying to return from Downtown Disney on them to the Epcot area resorts? Give me all the tips and truths!!
GaRedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

We never went to DTD by bus, so I can't comment on that, but let's put it this way--we had a car, and never used it. No problems at all with buses.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaRedHead View Post
So just how bad is the bus system at the Yacht Club? We will be there 8/19-8/25. We will use the buses for Magic Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon and Downtown Disney I'm sure. Will walk to Epcot. I think I have heard horror stories about trying to return from Downtown Disney on them to the Epcot area resorts? Give me all the tips and truths!!
The last few years we stayed at BC, the bus usually only shared with YC. It picks up at YC, then to BC and then to MK. The return has YC being first, then BC. It is not a horrible bus at all. I don't know where the rumors come from. We stayed at WL last month and the bus from WL to Epcot is much worse than the bus from YC/BC to MK because the WL has to make a stop at FW. So the comparison gives the edge to YC.

Besides, you can always walk through Epcot to go to and from MK if you get a park hopper. We did it many times.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Just remember that if you are on a shared Epcot Resorts bus, you can always get off at the first stop (which would more than likely be the Swan) and just walk to the Yacht Club. Or wait until the Dolphin stop which would be closer. There's no law that says you have to wait until the Yacht Club.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
I don't know where the rumors come from.
They are not rumors, but actual experiences from guests like myself who have experienced horrible bus service from the BC. During our stay, the buses shared among all 5 resorts, with the buses being to full capacity the majority of the time with standing room only. Our stay was quite some time ago (2003), but I have read reports of others with recent stays (within the last year or two) that have experienced the same bus service we did.

OP - I think the buses are hit or miss at the Epcot resorts as people have reported many different experiences from the buses only sharing between the YC & BC to the buses going to all 5 resorts. I don't think there's any sure way of knowing what the transportation will be like until you are there. People have reported the buses sharing among all 5 resorts only during slow times, but our stay was at a pretty busy time and all 5 resorts were included in the transportation to the other parks. Good luck.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post

They are not rumors, but actual experiences from guests like myself who have experienced horrible bus service from the BC. During our stay, the buses shared among all 5 resorts, with the buses being to full capacity the majority of the time with standing room only. Our stay was quite some time ago (2003), but I have read reports of others with recent stays (within the last year or two) that have experienced the same bus service we did.

OP - I think the buses are hit or miss at the Epcot resorts as people have reported many different experiences from the buses only sharing between the YC & BC to the buses going to all 5 resorts. I don't think there's any sure way of knowing what the transportation will be like until you are there. People have reported the buses sharing among all 5 resorts only during slow times, but our stay was at a pretty busy time and all 5 resorts were included in the transportation to the other parks. Good luck.
I wonder if it isn't the opposite. Your experience with sharing among all five resorts was during a busy period. We have only gone during low crowd periods and our recent experience, meaning the last few years, has been sharing with YC only. Maybe the busy times do have worse bus service. I don't know.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
MissionMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is the X Factor in any vacation at the Epcot Resort area. The buses are shared and the resorts are large. People do play the bus station games from cutting lines or going to the other resort station that is an earlier stop, since buses can load to capacity before they arrive at you resort. The frequency of buses not always in synch with the volume of guest wanting service is real. The frequency is depending on the time of day. There is no Disney CM on site, so situation are depending on the bus driver to call in the over flow of guest waiting...another X factor.

I have observed this issues during Early Morning Entrance days. We also experienced a lack of service at parks around midday as you watch the other resorts have 2-4 buses arrive before one bus arrives for a Epcot Resort. Sometimes as you are waiting in the Summer heat if your resort bus was dispatched somewhere else without regard to guest waiting for service. It becomes real when you are waiting 20-40 minutes for a bus at a park bus station around 12-1pm to take you back to your resort. You pay more for a deluxe for an overall vacation experience and waiting for a bus just doesn't fit.

Overall the experiences of others, why interesting, are just that, interesting. Even my families experiences. We found that it takes one bad person or family or two to make or break a bus ride experience. If you arrive at a bus station when it arrives and you walk right on its a great experience. If you wait for a bus for 20-30 minutes and it arrives almost full and you don't get on and are left to wait for another bus, or others just arriving at the bus station just jut to the front and on the bus and then the bus is full with multiple families left behind; then it's not a great experience.

We always have a rental car when we go to Disney. We normally have experienced other local attractions prior to Disney. We took our rental car to Typhoon Lagoon and DTD. Its quick and easy. If the line is bad on an Early Morning Entrance day we will just grab a cab. It not worth the hassle and reflects on the resorts management. Getting back from a park at midday (in our cases AK) can sometimes entail a wait that can start to heat member of the family up along with the other families in line with you.

Disney World - Magic Kingdom Entrance - Walk Around The World Brick Owner
Boardwalk Inn Photos
Typhoon Lagoon Photos
Wishes-Fireworks from PR & MK Photo Album - 30 Photos
Sea World and Marriott Rennaissance SW - Photo Album - 40+ Photos
Disney World Park and Deluxe Resort Photographs
MissionMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
roydavid7771
DIS Veteran

My personal experience, I've never had a problem with the buses at YC/BC. The only issue I ever encountered was going to/from DTD, but that stinks for almost everybody.

2014: Coronado Springs (WDW Marathon Weekend)
2013: Port Orleans Riverside (WDW Marathon Weekend), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club Villas (Nephew's 1st Visit)
2012: Boardwalk Villas (Our 1st DVC Stay!)
2011: Beach Club, Swan (Honeymoon!)
2010: Pop Century, Wilderness Lodge
2009: Swan
1989: Marriott Orlando World Center
1980: Offsite
1978: Offsite
roydavid7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
tsme
DIS Veteran

We stayed at BC during the "low" season. The buses shared with YC, Dolphin, Swan, & sometimes BW. So it isn't fun, especially coming back from the parks, being tired & hot. But it's bearable. However, do not use the bus service for DTD. It is horrible!!! I can not stress this enough. Take a cab, especially coming back. We made that mistake & it was an ordeal. Not only did another resort bus have to call in for our resort bus (after we had been waiting around 45min), but after picking up the crowd that had gathered for the BC, etc bus, the bus went to the other side of DTD, stopped picked up more people on an already full bus & changed drivers (which takes a good bit of time) then the bus went to a water park before hitting every Epcot resort, with BC being the last stop. We will never make that mistake again. So unless you like wasting your vacation time waiting for buses & riding around, take a cab!!
tsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
DisneyMomx7
DIS Veteran

I think the DTD bus system is a horror for most resorts!

We've had the same experience with the DTD busses when we were staying at BC, YC, the Polynesian and the GF.

Best advice - TAKE A CAB!!!!

GF-2003,2004,2005,2006,2008,2009,2011,2013,2014
YC-2006,2007,2008,2014 POLY- 2006,2007,2008
BC-2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
HRH-2004,2006, RPR-2012, 2014
DisneyMomx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I own at BCV and have had at least a dozen vacations at Epcot resorts. Park buses are not bad. DTD (and TL) will be terrible. It doesn't matter when you go ( in last 2 years I have done Jan, May, Oct, Dec) the DTD route sucks.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I own at BWV, and that is where I primarily stay. But, I have stayed at the BC a couple of times, as well as at both the Swan and the Dophin. And many other resorts in WDW.
Is the bus system at the Epcot resorts nighmarish? Nope, they are not. Yes, all buses, to and from, DTD are nasty. And it doesn't matter where you are staying...it's the same everywhere. It's just not good. If I had a car, I would always drive to DTD.
So, how is the bus service to, say, MK from YC? Yes, you will share with BC in the mornings and in the evenings. Generally speaking? If it's busy, park opening/closing? Just YC/BC on a route. But when things slow down, you may see the S/D/BW added to the route. Those three resorts generally share a bus route.
Can you get on a bus at YC that has already stopped at three other resorts? Yep, sure can. But I have to tell you....in all my stays, at those resorts, I seldom took a bus in the morning, from any of those resorts, and had to stand. Park closing? Yep, have had to stand many nights. But, it's been no different at any other resort.

People say these are large resorts. They really aren't. They really have fewer guests than the moderates do. And those moderates have multiple bus stops within each resort. When I stayed at POR (on several occasions), if you didn't get on at the first or second stop, you found yourself standing more often than not. I know that people say that it's different..but it really isn't. 4 stops is 4 stops...whether it's all within one resort, or at 4 different resorts. It's 4 stops. When I'm on a bus, going from BW to MK, and we head to YC, no I'm not thrilled. But it does greatly remind me of the buses at POR. The drive time, from resort to resort in the Epcot area, is very similar to the drive time between bus stops within POR.

So, long story short...no, the bus system at the Epcot resorts is no better, no worse than other resorts. The best bus service in WDW??? Pop and AoA!!! One stop....that bus goes from the resort directly to the park..that's it. Really nice.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
disneydee6
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at BC and I will say the bus service to MK and downtown disney is not the greatest. However, we keep this in mind and prepare for a 30+ ride. The convenience of travel to Epcot/dhs more than makes up for it (for us).
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #14
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

I haven't experienced anything but bus service from an Epcot resort during peak season, so maybe my perception of "bad" bus service is just that I haven't had "good" bus service. I do know that I'm on vacation, I'm not in a rush, and I'm just grateful that Disney provides many forms of transportation from one park to another so that I don't need to take my car. After a long day in the park, I'm perfectly fine to sit (or stand) and relax in air conditioning while Disney does the work.

I will say that I think being able to walk into the back entrance of Epcot in a few minutes is absolutely magical and something that makes me want to never stay anywhere else on property. Additionally, the ability to walk or take a boat to HS, and walk to the front of Epcot to take the monorail also outweighs any negative experiences there may be with busing.
thisismyusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Give it to you straight? OK here it is:
The busses at Yacht Club are no worse than the buses at any other resort.

That's right. You'll hear people saying they had a great bus experience at [blank] resort. You'll hear people saying they had a bad bus experience at [blank] resort. Both are correct --- for the time they visited. It really just depends on when you get to the bus stop and when the next bus comes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: