Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

Are there any extended verandah cabins besides on deck 5 catogeory 4E?

I've found some great info so far, but this will be my last inquiry (at least on cabins!)so I can make my room selection and book!

Wanting a deluxe family ocean view with verandah, pull down bed from ceiling and a round shower. An extended verandah would be a plus, so far what I've read is that the cabins on deck 5 are not deluxe family cabins, but they are deluxe size and no round showers and actually smaller in size because the verandah footage is included. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now my new question is; Are there any other cabins on the ship that may have a larger verandah and meet my requests above? We're a family of 4 and like to eat on the verandah.

My choices so far are deck 5 and go without a round shower, deck 7 normal size verandah or another cabin that may fit all my requests!

Any cabin suggestions would be great, I'm open to any deck!
~Olivia~ 4 yrs
First visit to DL at age 11 and hooked ever since!
Disney Cruise and WDW 2/09 and 9/09
DVC Members on 3/2008 at AKV'S and 1/2009 VGC
Next Disney Trips: Disneyland, October 2014
ToodlesRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
Siliobear
Mouseketeer

Not sure if this is allowed but last year I booked the handicap accessible room for my 85yo mom who used wheelchair to embark and disembark. Her verandah was huge and was next to a sundeck area. I don't know what is the policy to request an accessible cabin if you don't medically need one.
Siliobear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Great research on the 4e's.
DCL should tweak there info on the 4e's. It is misleading.

There are these balconies that might interest you.
Jump to 1:17.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTXl50y2i28

Have you looked into the aft 5E's?
Now you can start over.

Last edited by Bear3412; 03-23-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
texasgirl73
Obsessive Trip Planner

You are correct, the 4Es are not as large inside as the other Category 4 cabins. The only cabins that would have the inside configuration that you are looking for as well as the larger interior are the handicap accessible category 4s and the Concierge Category Vs that are on the bumpout (like 12508, 12510, 12010, and 12008.)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

The HA's have no round tubs though. (or any tubs)

Your right. Looks like they will have to book a cat V on the bump.

Last edited by Bear3412; 03-23-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #6
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

Thanks for the replies and new info. We're not in need of a HC room, plus has a walk in shower with the kids we need a tub!

I'm looking into the V category rooms that was suggested, however would that recommended for someone who gets motion sickness easily?
~Olivia~ 4 yrs
Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Regarding ship motion;
What month are you planning to sail?

That is one disadvantage of the concierge cabins on the new ships. They are all located on the upper decks and forward, especially the ones on the bump out.

They have great products for motion sickness. We all performed well on Bonine, and we had plenty of motion the last few days onboard.

Some sailings experience rough seas, some not. It's hard to predict when booking.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

We're going April 2014. The last 2 cruises we were midship and I had to use prescription medications, once working I was completely fine the entire cruise.

Going up to concierge will cost about $300 more so it may be worth a try or we may just stay on a lower deck midship to be on the safe side.
~Olivia~ 4 yrs
Old 03-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

TRN are you sure you did that right, usually from a cat 4 to cat V is 1k more?
Perhaps because it is a 3 day Dream?
TIA
Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

I checked DCL site and wow. On the Dream (3 or 4 nights/April 2014) the cost difference between a 4d (large family) and a cat V (same size) is $300 - $ 500 2A2K (not peak time). Nice.

IMO this amount has been reduced over the last couple years. This is great news IMO. I have seen 1/2 the Dream concierge cabins available 1 month out, when I check, which is rare. I focus on 7 night sailings, that's where my 1K upgrade price came from I suppose.

Do check upgrade prices on all sailings prior to paid in full, or even after PIF.

I know we would have no hesitation booking/upgrading to a V , 120 days out for these amounts.

Maybe we will be able to fit in a quick sail after all, before our current booking, which feels like 2000 days out.(fall 2014)

Last edited by Bear3412; 03-23-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

$300 was about what our cost was when we decided to upgrade to a V from a 4B (just checked our original booking). It felt like a GREAT price.

Toodles, if you're already going to be taking the drugs, will where you are matter that much? Or I suppose that's your question, isn't it? I'm no good to answer that as the only staterooms I've had on cruises are up front and apart from one early morning I was fine.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear3412 View Post
I checked DCL site and wow. On the Dream (3 or 4 nights/April 2014) the cost difference between a 4d (large family) and a cat V (same size) is $300 - $ 500 2A2K (not peak time). Nice.

IMO this amount has been reduced over the last couple years. This is great news IMO. I have seen 1/2 the Dream concierge cabins available 1 month out, when I check, which is rare. I focus on 7 night sailings, that's where my 1K upgrade price came from I suppose.

Do check upgrade prices on all sailings prior to paid in full, or even after PIF.

I know we would have no hesitation booking/upgrading to a V , 120 days out for these amounts.

Maybe we will be able to fit in a quick sail after all, before our current booking, which feels like 2000 days out.(fall 2014)
It's a 3 day cruise, wish we could go longer but with spring break and going to the world our son will be missing an extra 3 days out of school
For that price Im very tempted to give it try and see how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
$300 was about what our cost was when we decided to upgrade to a V from a 4B (just checked our original booking). It felt like a GREAT price.

Toodles, if you're already going to be taking the drugs, will where you are matter that much? Or I suppose that's your question, isn't it? I'm no good to answer that as the only staterooms I've had on cruises are up front and apart from one early morning I was fine.
Even with medications I want to take the least chances possible with my motion sickness as I don't want to ruin it for the family! Plus over the years it has got worse and the last time we cruised was in 2009.

Another question if I booked the category V deck 12 thinking of cabin 12010 will the kids still be able to participate in the FE exchange? Is the cabins accessible to others or is it in a locked area or is the concierge lounge area that is gated? Our son enjoyed it the last 2 times.
~Olivia~ 4 yrs
Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl73 View Post
You are correct, the 4Es are not as large inside as the other Category 4 cabins.)
How much smaller are they? - we have a 4e booked and we are two adults and two kids (7&10)

****** DL Feb/02, DL Feb/07, WDW Nov/13, DCL Nov/13 ******
Next trip WDW October 2015 TOT10 mile here I come!
dizzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
ToodlesRN
Always Dreamin Of Disney

From the research I have done, and I did not write the exact numbers down. The rooms are 299 sqft including the verandah so the cabins in the 4E cat. have larger verandah which is included in the 299 sqft making the room smaller. From what I also read is that these rooms are not "family deluxe" they are "deluxe" if you go Disney cruise site and look at the room sizes it can give you exact sq footage.
~Olivia~ 4 yrs
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToodlesRN View Post
We're going April 2014. The last 2 cruises we were midship and I had to use prescription medications, once working I was completely fine the entire cruise.

Going up to concierge will cost about $300 more so it may be worth a try or we may just stay on a lower deck midship to be on the safe side.
I've been wondering the same thing. I used the patch on our 2 cruises (and definitely needed it for the one out of DL in April). I'm tempted by those V rooms as well, but I am afraid to book anything that's not mid-ship (and as mid-ship as possible!). Every time we were forward on the ship (especially in the theater) I began to feel a bit "off" -- not really motion sick since the patch was working well, but still not very good. While those suites at the front of the ship look amazing, I would probably turn down a free upgrade to one of them since motion sickness is no fun.

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: