Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
n0cturnalbynature
Earning My Ears

My Father Does Not Want To Go?

Hi! My name is Lauren. I'm in my 20s, but I am a Disney nut. I did the DCP in 2010 and I REALLY wanted to enjoy Disney World with my family. They haven't been since our one trip there in 1996 and we barely did anything but go to Magic Kingdom for half a day and Universal Studios.

Now, I want us all to go again as adults. My mother wants to go as well and we settled on a day in September. My 21 year old brother seems indifferent, but he doesn't mind coming along and I'm sure he will enjoy it once he gets there.

However, my father says it doesn't seem like something he'd want to do again. He is still on the fence about it, but he feels like he won't enjoy it. I tried to tell him that it will be different because my brother and I aren't small children anymore and we are going in late September so it won't be as crowded or hot.

Money isn't an issue because my mother and I have saved up the bulk of the money. He would need to add on $600 at most.

I told him it was fine and I don't mind if he doesn't go, but honestly, I don't want him to miss out on something I think he might really enjoy. Do any dads have any advice on convincing him? Or maybe it really wouldn't be any fun for him and a lot of men feel the same way?

Anyone have any advice?
n0cturnalbynature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Go with your mom. Don't force someone who isn't interested.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

There are just some people who don't enjoy WDW. My husband is one of them. He went once, about 25 years ago and hasn't been back since.

I go every year (or two). I took the kids when they were young, mostly by myself, I've done trips with my sister and her family, and with my mom.

If you dad doesn't want to go, go with your mom and brother.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
krayzmelmel
Mouseketeer

Haha my dad's the same way! My mom and I have passes and go 1-2 times a month. My dad says that he just has to go every ten years and he's fine. he does like Epcot though, so thats the exception. My mom bought him an Annual pass one year and he went like, twice (never again!).

Next Trip: Hopefully Tomorrow!
All my Disney experiences ~ PRICELESS :-D

krayzmelmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0cturnalbynature View Post
Hi! My name is Lauren. I'm in my 20s, but I am a Disney nut. I did the DCP in 2010 and I REALLY wanted to enjoy Disney World with my family. They haven't been since our one trip there in 1996 and we barely did anything but go to Magic Kingdom for half a day and Universal Studios.

Now, I want us all to go again as adults. My mother wants to go as well and we settled on a day in September. My 21 year old brother seems indifferent, but he doesn't mind coming along and I'm sure he will enjoy it once he gets there.

However, my father says it doesn't seem like something he'd want to do again. He is still on the fence about it, but he feels like he won't enjoy it. I tried to tell him that it will be different because my brother and I aren't small children anymore and we are going in late September so it won't be as crowded or hot.

Money isn't an issue because my mother and I have saved up the bulk of the money. He would need to add on $600 at most.

I told him it was fine and I don't mind if he doesn't go, but honestly, I don't want him to miss out on something I think he might really enjoy. Do any dads have any advice on convincing him? Or maybe it really wouldn't be any fun for him and a lot of men feel the same way?

Anyone have any advice?
I'm not sure forcing someone to go that is not interested is the best way. Maybe discuss with your dad and see if there are things other than the parks he may be interested in. Maybe approach it as a family vacation, not a Disney vacation. If he still has no interest, then go without him if he is oK with that and maybe take a different vacation somewhere else all together.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

Disney isn't for everyone. But there are other things to do around there besides the parks, so perhaps if he just makes the trip with you, but there's no pressure to go to the parks and he can do other things he might enjoy more whatever that may be. Then you can spend your evenings together as a family. Or make one or two ADRs at other resorts if you are staying onsite and you can have those meals together. Then if once you get there he wants to get a ticket and join you he can.

We are planning a big family trip for next summer. My sister and I are planning it for my dad, stepmom, my sister, her husband, my brother, my adult nieces and their 3 children, my children and me. It will be 4 generations going from my dad and stepmom, down to my nieces' chidren. We are going for a week and staying in a big house in Windsor Hills.

Now when my sister called him, my dad responded true to form with, "Just let me know how much to send and when to show up." But my dad and stepmom are 60 and I am not expecting them to spend nearly as much time in the parks as the rest of us, and the rest of us surely won't stick together the entire time, but in the evenings we'll all be in that house together, we'll share breakfasts together, pool time (pool is attached to the house), and probably try to get one picture of everyone in front of the castle. I guess what I'm saying is perhaps offer him an alternative where he can enjoy the vacation and his family. If he still doesn't want to go, you'll have to decide if you're okay with going without him.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
nhmommy
Mouseketeer

If he won't mind spending time alone chilin at the pool or whatever you should push him to go if he doesn't like the parks he can stay at the hotel and relax. If he's not one to be alone or he will go along to the parks and mope I would leave him home.
nhmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
GoldieLocks5
Mouseketeer

my dad has zero interest in any type of theme park - i would never try to get him to go bc he would be miserable.

just go with people who want to go.

[/url]
Mom to 1+Twins, all boys
Planning our 3rd Disney trip! 1st was March-April 2012, Suite @ ASMu. 2nd was May 5-11 at Beach Club, and 3rd will be early May, Beach Club again!
GoldieLocks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
SpartanMommy
Mouseketeer

Just go with your mom and have a blast! If he doesn't want to go, don't make him or he might end up ruining everyone's fun.
1999 - Disneyland
2006 - Mom's Birthday at ASM
2008 - Quick Family Trip

Planning:
Winter 2015- DD's First WDW Princess Trip! FW Cabins
Winter 2016- Mom's Birthday Bash?
SpartanMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

My stepdad was the same. My sister and I wanted to plan a big family trip (her, hubby and 2 kids, me, our younger brother, mom & stepdad) but he could not have been less interested. We talked to him a couple of times about it, and gave him info on stuff he could enjoy but he was adamant so we all went without him and he had a couple of weekend fishing trips with his buddies while we were gone.
Everyone was happy and loved hearing all about it when we got back

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

I'd go with whomever wants to and have a great time!! My dad goes occasionally but not nearly as often as my mom and I.

Have fun with your mom and brother! Your dad may change his mind but if not, you'll have a great time regardless!

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison View Post
Go with your mom. Don't force someone who isn't interested.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #13
TinkerBelle920
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0cturnalbynature View Post

Anyone have any advice?
I feel your pain I was also a CP and really wanted my family to visit with me this past year. My Dad was less than excited but the first time we went it was in the summer and very hot and crowded. Now I am actually a Disney Vacation Planner so I said that I would gaurantee he would not have to wait in long lines and if he did he could just hang out at the resort. We went last Sept when crowds were low and I had everything planned out really well so that we did not wait in lines and we had some great dining experiences. My Father can be very closed minded but he loved the trip and has already been asking when we can go again. So I would suggest plannig it out really well with some things you know he will enjoy!
TinkerBelle920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Disneymom2kiddos
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't force him to go. Just go with your Mom and brother, and have fun.

MVMCP 2014 Here we come!!
Disneymom2kiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
kcchief
Mouseketeer

I would educate your Dad more on what Disney World really is. You said you all had been once but only to the Magic Kingdom. To a lot of people who have never been to WDW they think all there is to it is MK. They don't realize there are 3 other parks and many other activities/resorts to experience as well. Epcot is a great park for adults on the more serious side. So I would get him some info together such as guide books and maybe the free vacation planning DVD you can get from Disney. Maybe even turn him on to this website. There is lots of good info here. After he gets a better idea of what Disney is really about he can make a better decision for himself. Then if he still does not want to go at least you have tried your best. Because if he doesn't really want to go you will have a better time with thought him anyways.

Tags
dad father

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: