Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #31
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adznyfan View Post
so - to answer a few questions - my 2nd dc will be the 3 night bahama cruise isn't until august - i booked a verandah for 2448 (which was the lowest price at the time ) - went back on the dcl website to just check things out since we'll be on a different ship this time and was curious to see prices - i found that the verandahs were going for 2418 - and i do realize $30 difference isn't alot but $30 here and $30 adds up!! so i called my travel agent who said the fare was gone - which i was ok with since travel prices change in the blink of an eye after a few days looked again and there it was - since it was after hours (friday night) called dcl who also said the fare was gone and when did i see it i said i was looking at it -dcl finally said the fare was available but wouldn't switch me since to quote "i had enough discounts" - i think that's what got me going -disney inferring i was taking advantage of discounts disney OFFERED - if they don't want people to take advantage of the discounts or be able to switch don't offer it!!

so now the fare is still available and i still want it - partly for the $30 and partly because it's the principle - don't offer a lower price and pretend it's not there!!!!

frankly i think bookings must be off and they're trying to get new passengers not have current ones get lower prices (just a thought)

thanks for all the posts!!

cindy
The difference between people booking that price now and you having booked a higher price onboard is that you will be getting a higher OBC. They will only be getting $25.

If you are willing to give up your OBC they would probably let you change it, but I believe that your OBC from rebooking onboard is more than the $30 you think you would be gaining. They are trying to fill the boat. If they give everyone who booked ahead of the discounts the same discounts they would end up on the losing end of the stick. At that rate they would just have to leave all the prices the same as when they first come out. It is supply and demand. You felt it was a fair price when you booked it and now you see someone else is getting a different price. If you didn't book on the opening day of booking you were probably paying a higher price than those who took advantage of 1st day prices. The difference there is they also took a lower OBC. It all depends on what you want to give up. I would keep the OBC myself.

I have always rebooked onboard and have seen prices a few months before my cruises go down, but the OBC usually didn't make up the difference to make me change. If I don't like the price of a cruise when I go to book it, I don't book it.

Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #32
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
so - to answer a few questions - my 2nd dc will be the 3 night bahama cruise isn't until august - i booked a verandah for 2448 (which was the lowest price at the time ) - went back on the dcl website to just check things out since we'll be on a different ship this time and was curious to see prices - i found that the verandahs were going for 2418 - and i do realize $30 difference isn't alot but $30 here and $30 adds up!! so i called my travel agent who said the fare was gone - which i was ok with since travel prices change in the blink of an eye after a few days looked again and there it was - since it was after hours (friday night) called dcl who also said the fare was gone and when did i see it i said i was looking at it -dcl finally said the fare was available but wouldn't switch me since to quote "i had enough discounts" - i think that's what got me going -disney inferring i was taking advantage of discounts disney OFFERED - if they don't want people to take advantage of the discounts or be able to switch don't offer it!!

so now the fare is still available and i still want it - partly for the $30 and partly because it's the principle - don't offer a lower price and pretend it's not there!!!!

frankly i think bookings must be off and they're trying to get new passengers not have current ones get lower prices (just a thought)

thanks for all the posts!!

cindy
Cindy you still haven't told us why the rate is different? Is is the base fare? Is it the taxes? Is this a GTY room? Why is the rate different and are you comparing YOUR cost using the 10% discount? We are confused because Disney doesn't usually just drop the fare $5 or $10 bucks? I am assuming you are more than one person booking. And what is this "now the fare is there and now it is gone". I must be new to this new change in price thing. I have never seen DCL change their prices daily? Can you elaborate more?

I understand the "principle" but I wouldn't let a CM (or your TA communicating this information) get you too bent out of shape for $30. Have your TA call back again.

This is why I hate having a TA. I want to work with DCL. I have a TA who is awesome, but when DVC offered a deal for an cruise we were already on and past PIF date I had the TA call and they told her no. They weren't changing our Reservation even though it said it would apply to those DVC members already booked on that cruise. I called and talk to a different CM who agreed that we were entitled to get the discounted upgrade to a verandah. I told her I would get the TA on the phone once she agreed we were right. She did and waited while I did a three way call with my TA so she could officially change the Reservation. I am glad I didn't let one CM just tell my TA "no". If you are not able to get the $30 just say I want a reasonable answer as to why? If you have a OnBoard booking discount they cannot apply a new "deal" code without having you lose the other one. This is why even though I pay fully with my Disney Visa I can't get the additional OBC from them because I always have a OBB from a previous cruise. Maybe it is that they CANT process the change and not a attitude? Maybe "you have too many discount" wasn't a cut on you it was "I literally can't enter any more discounts into the system." Just a thought. Good luck!
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Cmbar is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #33
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Could the difference you are seeing be the difference between a 6a and a 6b category. When you originally booked there may have not been a 6b available and now there is. I just looked at a 3 night in August and the difference between the two is $30. Did your actual category go down?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #34
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Could the difference you are seeing be the difference between a 6a and a 6b category. When you originally booked there may have not been a 6b available and now there is. I just looked at a 3 night in August and the difference between the two is $30. Did your actual category go down?
That makes sense I think. It probably would be the difference in Categories.
VBR and VGF August,2014, AKV Jambo Dec 2013, Wonder-Alaska Jul 13, Fantasy Jun-12, BCV Jan-11, Dream! Apr 3,2011, Western Magic DCL-Oct 30-2010,POP/BCV -June 10 SSR-Jan 10, BLT-Nov 09, POP June 09, All Star Sports Mar 09, Western Magic - Nov 08 SSR/Marriott Cypress Harbour Jul-08, GF-Nov 07, WL-Nov 06, CBR -Feb 06 POFQ/BWV -Feb 05, POP-Mar 04, DoubleTree DTD, Mar 03, POR-Mar 01 Dixie Landings (POR) HONEYMOON -Oct 1992

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #35
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmbar View Post
This is why I hate having a TA. I want to work with DCL.
Also, the CM who told the OP that was a CM who was already doing something they aren't supposed to do, which is talk to the OP instead of their TA. If a CM is doing something they shouldn't do to begin with, I have a hard time taking to heart what they might say.

But "the fare is there but I can't access it" is what nearly happened to us when we upgraded to 00V for our Feb cruise. Our TA and the CM she was dealing with could SEE the rate, but had to really work the system to GET the rate that had been on the site for a few days. They finally did, but the TA was glad she got the CM she did when she called. If she'd gotten a more lackluster CM she might not have gotten us into that room.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #36
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
dcl finally said the fare was available but wouldn't switch me since to quote "i had enough discounts"
That probably would have annoyed me too.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #37
g3pak
DIS Veteran

--but wouldn't switch me since to quote "i had enough discounts"--

Hearing that would have really bothered me, too, but I agree with what some others have said on here. I suspect you would have lost one or more other discounts to add this one. The CM may have done you a favor but used a very poor choice of words to explain it to you.

I guess since it is still bothering you, you should keep calling until a CM can explain to you why you can't get it. I understand that they shouldn't deal with you since you originally did this with an agent, but I bet you can find a sharp CM that will just explain the situation without trying to fix anything or break the rules.
g3pak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #38
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

I don't understand why OP is doing all of this and not the TA.
That's their job. Really, the TA should be able to understand why OP can't get that price & be able to give OP a satisfactory explanation.

You have too many discounts would really bother me too. Other cruise lines honor price cuts after booking. Some guests figure it out and get a price adjustment or they don't & remain oblivious. RCCL will even give a refund to a cc after PIF date. It's just how the cruising world operates. I wouldn't think OP shouldn't want to save $ simply because she was willing to cruise at original price. Sure, it's not a huge amount & I wouldn't cancel a cruise over it but to me it's the prinicipal. Come up with a rule/policy & stick to it. Train the CMs to understand it so people don't get a variety of answers when calling. That is just as frustrating as OP's dilemma.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #39
pyramid2000
Member of the DD Geek invasion of CC
How exacty do you iron on a T-****?

Bottom line, if it is a price drop for OP's original FARE , DCL should honor it without hesitation, whether they have an OBB or not. They are well before the PIF date.

1988- 1st trip to WDW/senior class trip : 1990- Carnival cruise from Puerto Rico : 5/00- 3 night CB/4 night Magic : 9/05- 4 night PO/3 night Wonder : 1/06 - 7 night Western Magic: 7/06- 5 night RCCL Explorer (Bermuda):12/09/06- 7 night Magic-DD Geek Party: 8/17/08- 15 night EBPC Magic : 11/01/09- 4 night Wonder:: 2/20/11- 4 night Dream : 11/10/11 - 3 night Dream : 10/13/12 - 7 night Western Fantasy : 04/04/13 - 4 night Miami Wonder : 01/13/14 - 4 night Magic :
pyramid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #40
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid2000 View Post
Bottom line, if it is a price drop for OP's original FARE , DCL should honor it without hesitation, whether they have an OBB or not. They are well before the PIF date.
I agree if the category is identical. It just doesn't seem right that they would drop the FARE a few dollars. I think it must be a different Cat like a PP said. Hope they report back because DCL should honor it if they are talking apples to apples.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #41
Tower
DIS Veteran

Had a similar situation on our last cruise. They started a promo for balcony rooms for the price of an O/S. I could not transfer it unless I gave up the $200 OBC, and when I calculated it at the time, the total lost would have been $50 to switch. I'm too cheap as I already liked our existing connecting staterooms anyway. Was disappointed at missing out on a free upgrade though.

Past Disney Visits:
Mar 28-Apr 5, 2004 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 10-16, 2006 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Nov 8-14, 2008 - WDW All Star Movies Resort
Dec 3-12, 2009 - CBR & Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean 7-Day Tour!
Feb 1-10, 2012 - WDW Port Orleans Riverside
Nov 10-17, 2012 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean to Grand Cayman & Cozumel!
Nov 8-15, 2013 - Off Site & Magic Kingdom
Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 PM   #42
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

If I am not mistaken from my cruise this past February - you are only allowed one discount per cruise - so if you booked on board = that was your discount. If you are now asking for an additonal discount then I believe that may be why they are saying you have enough discounts. I personally would not give up my OBC from booking onboard for 30 dollars.

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #43
Cmbar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower View Post
Had a similar situation on our last cruise. They started a promo for balcony rooms for the price of an O/S. I could not transfer it unless I gave up the $200 OBC, and when I calculated it at the time, the total lost would have been $50 to switch. I'm too cheap as I already liked our existing connecting staterooms anyway. Was disappointed at missing out on a free upgrade though.
Wow! You are strong. There is no way I wouldn't have caved for $50 bucks to have a verandah. I never get that lucky. Oh well. I booked what I am happy with and I will be happy with what I booked.... I just keep saying that especially now that we are past our PIF date. I am going to be spitting mad when they drop the prices of our cruise I know, but we have five cabins all together and I am happy, happy, happy!!

Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #44
flick
Some girls are just born with pixie dust in their veins!

Your TA will have to make any changes dealing with your reservation. As a direct guest you can only do certain things. Asking for the price difference is one thing your TA has to do. If you have an OBB (with the discounted fare &obc) you can not combine it with any other discounts. You will need to pick which discount offer you want. As far as this situation goes it sounds more like a tax decrease, if it is you will receive it once DCL goes through the reservations (closer to the PIF date, usually). The CM should have never told you that you had too many discounts. The CM should have looked at your reservation, saw that it was booked with a TA and had you call your TA. With your TA they could go over your ressie and also price out a new booking with your same info and see where the difference lies. I can see why the CM did not transfer you to a superviser, they could not have done anything for you either, you were not the TA, BUT if you asked to speak to someone higher you are supposed to be transferred.
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #45
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick View Post
Your TA will have to make any changes dealing with your reservation. As a direct guest you can only do certain things. Asking for the price difference is one thing your TA has to do. If you have an OBB (with the discounted fare &obc) you can not combine it with any other discounts. You will need to pick which discount offer you want. As far as this situation goes it sounds more like a tax decrease, if it is you will receive it once DCL goes through the reservations (closer to the PIF date, usually). The CM should have never told you that you had too many discounts. The CM should have looked at your reservation, saw that it was booked with a TA and had you call your TA. With your TA they could go over your ressie and also price out a new booking with your same info and see where the difference lies. I can see why the CM did not transfer you to a superviser, they could not have done anything for you either, you were not the TA, BUT if you asked to speak to someone higher you are supposed to be transferred.
Agreed. Plus I think one needs to pick their battles carefully. Since you are gettting information from your TA and from DCL direct that its not possible, for the $30 you are seeking, I think you are wasting your time.

Your time is worth something, and even at minimum wage, you probably have exceeded what the $30 is worth to you. Plus, it does not look like you are "owed" it to begin with what with your current credits and all.

Personally, I would give it up...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: