Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
adznyfan
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: sf bay area
Posts: 223

help!!! getting the run around from dcl

hi all

need advice on how to approach this problem - booked a verandah room for $2200 after my 10% onboard discount (regular price $2448) - prices dropped by $30 (2418 prediscount 2177 post discount) and asked my travel agent to ask disney for a refund of $30 (every little bit helps) - she didn't think it would be a problem since my booking had no restrictions -disney said that fare was booked - when i went online the fare was till listed and spoke with disney who informed me i had enough discounts and they wouldn't give me the reduced price - wouldn't let me speak with a supervisor as i had a travel agent - they're giving the travel agent the same story - if i didn't have non refundable airfare i'd cancel since i feel i'm getting the run around - what's left for me to do? i don't feel i'm asking for something i shouldn't get but only to rebook the same cruise at a cheaper rate which my travel agent said should not be a problem since it's not forbidden by onboard booking discounts - what is disney's problem and how can this be solved??

thanks

cindy
adznyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?
 
TempusFugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The state of denial.
Posts: 413

You can always transfer your discount to another reservation on the same cruise for the new price.
__________________
Let's dance.....put on your red shoes and dance the blues.....

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Disneyholic
Official Disneyholic! CM Wannabe! I'll Never Grow Up!
 
Disneyholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 2,615

Quote:
Originally Posted by adznyfan View Post
hi all

need advice on how to approach this problem - booked a verandah room for $2200 after my 10% onboard discount (regular price $2448) - prices dropped by $30 (2418 prediscount 2177 post discount) and asked my travel agent to ask disney for a refund of $30 (every little bit helps) - she didn't think it would be a problem since my booking had no restrictions -disney said that fare was booked - when i went online the fare was till listed and spoke with disney who informed me i had enough discounts and they wouldn't give me the reduced price - wouldn't let me speak with a supervisor as i had a travel agent - they're giving the travel agent the same story - if i didn't have non refundable airfare i'd cancel since i feel i'm getting the run around - what's left for me to do? i don't feel i'm asking for something i shouldn't get but only to rebook the same cruise at a cheaper rate which my travel agent said should not be a problem since it's not forbidden by onboard booking discounts - what is disney's problem and how can this be solved??

thanks

cindy
But, wouldn't you then lose your OBC you got for booking onboard if you changed your reservation? That would be more than you would save by changing what you have now to what you want. How close are you to your cruise date?
__________________
97HINB&RIUS99CSR00WL01HRPDTD02HINB&WL30AnV&A03DTDTD04BWDTD&AKLSunsetSafari05DTDTD&POR06DTDTD07ASMFS
08Wonder&BC09November28Magic&DTDTD10BW11May29Dream1/12DTDTD&WL8/12Fantasy40An.Remy&DTDTDJoinedDVC
4/13AKVCL,DCLDream,BLT11/13FantasyThanksgiving/AKLVKidani4/14AKLVKidani8/14DVCMembersCruise/Dream,AKLVJambo













Disneyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
clten
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,799

When is your cruise? Are you already past the PIF date? If so, that may be why they are not allowing you to have the lower fare. Also, is it just a drop in fare or is it a special rate (promo rate, *GT, etc). Most of the promo fares require it to be a new booking so it would not be combinable with a booking you are already holding. Are you sure it isn't a drop in port charges? In that case they couldn't do it for you because the base rate is the same and you will get it the difference in port charges back anyway.

If you are not past your PIF date, you can do a double date switch on your booking. You (well your travel agent would have to do it) can change your OBB to a new date and not lose benefits (unless you were grandfathered in to a Gold or Platinum onboard credit). You can't switch to the same date because you will be in whatever rate tier you booked in for that cruise. So switch to a new cruise date further away. Then switch your cruise back to your original sailing. That should give you the OBB discount based on rates today. The danger in doing that is that you could lose the rate you are seeing online (it could be booked or removed or prices increased during the time you are moving your cruise around). And if you selected a cabin, it might not be available again. Personally, it wouldn't be worth the $23 dollar difference but if it's important to you, it's a way to do it.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran
 
ruadisneyfan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugit View Post
You can always transfer your discount to another reservation on the same cruise for the new price.
This isn't true. The OBB discount is attached to the confirmation # that was created when OP booked onboard. You can book another cruise, creating a new conf #, but that would not have OBB perks attached to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
When is your cruise? Are you already past the PIF date? If so, that may be why they are not allowing you to have the lower fare. Also, is it just a drop in fare or is it a special rate (promo rate, *GT, etc). Most of the promo fares require it to be a new booking so it would not be combinable with a booking you are already holding. Are you sure it isn't a drop in port charges? In that case they couldn't do it for you because the base rate is the same and you will get it the difference in port charges back anyway.

If you are not past your PIF date, you can do a double date switch on your booking. You (well your travel agent would have to do it) can change your OBB to a new date and not lose benefits (unless you were grandfathered in to a Gold or Platinum onboard credit). You can't switch to the same date because you will be in whatever rate tier you booked in for that cruise. So switch to a new cruise date further away. Then switch your cruise back to your original sailing. That should give you the OBB discount based on rates today. The danger in doing that is that you could lose the rate you are seeing online (it could be booked or removed or prices increased during the time you are moving your cruise around). And if you selected a cabin, it might not be available again. Personally, it wouldn't be worth the $23 dollar difference but if it's important to you, it's a way to do it.
This is good advice though I can't believe a TA cannot fight for a price change. Unless, like pp mentioned, that's it's a special rate that applies to new reservations only such as IGT, OGT, VGT.

If you are able to change to another date, and then change back to this desired date, you not only stand to lose your cabin choice but also main dining if you already had it but it's not available now. If it's worth it to you, then go for it.

I'd love to hear how it all turns out for you.
__________________
ruadisneyfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
carpenta
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: grand isle, Vermont USA
Posts: 1,154

......for $30.00 bucks? In the big picture you are willing to ruin your vacation over $30.00? Look at the big picture.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....
 
MichiganDVC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Detroit-ish
Posts: 1,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta
......for $30.00 bucks? In the big picture you are willing to ruin your vacation over $30.00? Look at the big picture.
Totally agree. I plan on dropping $30 at Bon Voyage bar the minute I walk on the ship. ;-)
__________________





1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!
 
jcemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: too far from WDW
Posts: 8,365

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
......for $30.00 bucks? In the big picture you are willing to ruin your vacation over $30.00? Look at the big picture.
That's what I was thinking.

I probably would have asked for a credit as you did, because hey, it's $30. I wouldn't be willing to fight for it though. I certainly wouldn't be willing to go to the trouble of rebooking or canceling altogether. Maybe if it was $300, but not for $30. Don't stress out over it to the point where it destroys your enjoyment of the trip. That would be a waste of thousands of dollars.
__________________
Tracey


* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Buckeye218
DVC Member since 2004
 
Buckeye218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Longwood, FL
Posts: 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
Totally agree. I plan on dropping $30 at Bon Voyage bar the minute I walk on the ship. ;-)
LOL, totally agree! This will be me on 4/20.
__________________
Buckeye218
DVC Owner - Old Key West
Dis Dads Club Member #85

Disney Fantasy 7 Night Eastern April 2013 Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern September 2006
Disney Fantasy 7 Night Western June 2012 Disney Wonder 4 Night October 2005

Disney Magic 7 Night Eastern March 2008 Disney Magic 7 Night Western October 2004
Buckeye218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran
 
darkwing818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Franklin, TN
Posts: 2,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye218 View Post
LOL, totally agree! This will be me on 4/20.
Agree also... This is me on 6/8.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
mgpan
Mouseketeer
 
mgpan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 167

Smile I agree, let it go, but maybe not!

It is only 30 bucks which is a drop in the bucket considering. However, why should he be the one to give in and not DCL, if it's as many are arguing only $30 bucks? Surely DCL and Disney Corp. as a whole (look at the recent stock price rise) can stand to lose $30 bucks more than the OP, since, hey it's only $30 right? If DCL, who's in this business to make a profit can get away with $30 this time, will it be ok next time if it's $60 or $90 or $120?

Assuming there are no restrictions to keep the $30 from being refunded, i wouldn't let it go so easily and would keep calling and asking until i got a supervisor, email, basically whatever it took until i got an answer of "why" in writing. He may still get nowhere, but don't just give in.
__________________
15 Trips to "The World" Since 1980.
mgpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
FJS961
DIS Veteran
 
FJS961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 1,812

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpan View Post
It is only 30 bucks which is a drop in the bucket considering. However, why should he be the one to give in and not DCL, if it's as many are arguing only $30 bucks? Surely DCL and Disney Corp. as a whole (look at the recent stock price rise) can stand to lose $30 bucks more than the OP, since, hey it's only $30 right? If DCL, who's in this business to make a profit can get away with $30 this time, will it be ok next time if it's $60 or $90 or $120?

Assuming there are no restrictions to keep the $30 from being refunded, i wouldn't let it go so easily and would keep calling and asking until i got a supervisor, email, basically whatever it took until i got an answer of "why" in writing. He may still get nowhere, but don't just give in.
I agree, its principle.

You should have a reasonable explanation given.

Sometimes their policies defy logic and they rather read the script back to you then look at reason.
FJS961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #13
TempusFugit
Are you a fan of delicious flavor?
 
TempusFugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The state of denial.
Posts: 413

It is true that technically you'd have to do a double reservation switch but I imagine it could be done in a matter of moments. It is a small amount but I guarantee the big mouse counts every single 30 bucks....and so do I.
__________________
Let's dance.....put on your red shoes and dance the blues.....

Want to split a pineapple?
TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
carpenta
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: grand isle, Vermont USA
Posts: 1,154

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgpan View Post

Assuming there are no restrictions to keep the $30 from being refunded, i wouldn't let it go so easily and would keep calling and asking until i got a supervisor, email, basically whatever it took until i got an answer of "why" in writing. He may still get nowhere, but don't just give in.
My time is valuable and for me to take the time away from my business or my family to do all this correspondence to me is not worth $30.00. C'mon now just the three bottles of sun screen is $30.00 today. Go enjoy yourself and chaulk it up to a lesson learned. Next time agree on what you will spend and if you find that number, purchase and STOP LOOKING for peace of mind.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 45,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
Are you sure it isn't a drop in port charges? In that case they couldn't do it for you because the base rate is the same and you will get it the difference in port charges back anyway.
That's what I was thinking. It is just about the amount that our total was lowered because of port charges. And that was automatically reduced for us when our TA was checking on other things for us.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.