Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
WDWNext
Mouseketeer

Is POR Royal rooms worth the money ?

For our stay its coming up as a difference of around $340, between POP Standard room vs POR Royal Room Garden View for 4 nights. We have a 3 nights at AKL after that stay.

We are going to spend a day at the Resort too. Also intrigued by the boat ride option to DTD, maybe will try it out one evening after parks. The dining options seem to be better.

Now I got kids 6 and 2. Pop is neighbor to AoA.... combine the 2 resorts they are probably going to go crazy with the bigger than life statues and the AoA areas that are themed beautifully....

Now, at POR Royal rooms, I saw the nice looking rooms and the princess Tiana theme, with the fireworks in the headboard (I can hear my daughter say WOW) etc. The rooms are a little bigger I guess...

But.... is the POR Royal room worth it ?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
ARAITHEL
Always counting the days till my next WDW trip...

No. I booked the royal rooms last September. We were barely in them.
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
momofkids
Mouseketeer

I suppose that is really relative to the value you place on things. We stayed in a RR with garden view last fall. It was nice, but the kids were bored with it after the first night.

What we really liked was the peaceful atmosphere at POR. We also enjoyed its location relative to DTD. The larger beds and the pools were also great. We would definitely stay at POR again, but we wouldn't pay to upgrade to RR.

At 6 and 2, your children may actually enjoy POP more. The resort design will likely appeal to them. My children really liked POP. There is also less walking to the main building at POP. The atmosphere was much busier at POP. Rooms are a bit smaller at POP, and we did notice the difference.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

I guess it is entirely up to your preference. I haven't stayed in the Royal Rooms, but we did just come back from a 6 day stay at POR. We all loved this resort. It was so peaceful an relaxing. We had two resort days and 4 park days. It was great!!

medhdd8ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
mickeyhereicome
Mouseketeer

We stayed in the Royal Rooms last September and we have little boys, lol. In my opinion, the room was great for one maybe two nights, but after that it was just a room. My kids did use the fireworks whenever they could. They would press it over and over. This was our first stay on property so I do not know what the values are like.

For our trip in November I have booked a one night stay in a CBR pirate room, so that the kids can enjoy it, and then moving to WL.
mickeyhereicome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
deserrai
DIS Veteran

I usually do not think the moderate is worth the cost over a value, but my DD3 is so into princesses right now that I have thought about splurging for the royal rooms.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
pamkat1820
Mouseketeer

I don't think they are. If we ever stay at a moderate again I would just book a regular room. My daughter was 5 at the we stayed in a RR. I was waiting for that "woo mom!" And I never got it from her. She is def into princesses but she was move excited about the parks & pool she could have slept in a tent, she didn't care at all.

Me, DH, DD8, DS4

AKL May 2009, POR RR 2012, YC CL August 2013, August 2015???
pamkat1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
shenaniganzz
DIS Veteran

Not in our opinion. We stayed in a Royal Room last September and while it was nice, it really wasn't worth the price to upgrade to it. Our daughter was very happy about the note from Tiana. She was wow'ed by the headboard/fireworks for all of maybe 10 minutes and then barely touched it again for the rest of the trip. I did like the theme of the room, but I wouldn't pay extra to stay in one again.

shenaniganzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Mynamewastaken
Mouseketeer

We are staying there in 20 days. I splurged because she is almost 7 and the princess thing is going to wear off. I think they are nicer than ordinary rooms and I got a smoking deal on orbitz for the 5 nights

2003-POR
2011- Poly TPV
2012- POR/BWI
2015- AKLV/BWV
Mynamewastaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I thought it was cool. I loved the fireworks headboard. It was fun to stay in once but I don't need to pay the extra money to stay in one again.

I prefer POR over POP but as you tell from my signature, I've stayed more at POR. POR is my favorite moderate resort.

If you can afford it, I'd do the upgrade just once to stay in a Royal Room. Otherwise, I'd go for a regular garden view room at POR over a standard room at POP.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
summerlady
DIS Veteran

We stayed in a RR last October and after one day of oooooh'ing and ahhhhh'ing over the fireworks in the headboards and other cute things, the novelty wore off completely and we all wished that we had booked POFQ again. The make your own pasta in the food court was outstanding, though.

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~POFQ September 2015~
summerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
WDWNext
Mouseketeer

Wow, thanks guys for your frank opinions, the bottom line I guess is that upgrade to POR standard room may be ok, but paying additional for the RR is not worth it!!
Appreciate your help.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I think POR is worth the cost over a value, but wouldn't be interest in a Royal Room myself. If that is all that's available, however, I'd probably pay the extra money to stay in a Royal Room than at a value.

If you do have the option for another booking category, I'd go with that over Royal Room. Royal Rooms are at the end of the mansions and not in the most convenient of locations. It's a bit of a hike to the main pool, especially. Also, the room is not over the top princess - it's done with some subtleties which, IMO, are over a lot of kids' heads.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
RSADP
Mouseketeer

I'm glad I am booked for POFQ over a value resort! I love getting reassurance from everyone else!
RSADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
Sue M
DIS Veteran

We love POR, and would book there over a value. Queen beds, double sinks, more room. Fridge and coffee maker just makes my stay a bit nicer. I don't like having to drag first thing to a food court to find coffee. For some reason there are no coffee makers in value rooms .

Love the boat to DTD, evening entertainment, and good food court. I'd like to try a RR one time. I think they look fun. Oak Manor would be a great location, if you decide on trying a RR. We prefer the mansion section anyway.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: